FORUMS: list search recent posts

New 15" Apple laptops lacking ExpressCard/34 slot

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Hirsch
New 15" Apple laptops lacking ExpressCard/34 slot
on Jun 8, 2009 at 7:58:19 pm

As nice as the new Apple 15" Macbook Pro's are, they will be lacking the ExpressCard/34 slot on the 15" models. Which is disappointing if you like being able to just pop in your Sony SxS cards and off load your footage. The slot is still available on the 17" model though. Just an FYI.

Steve

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: New 15" Apple laptops lacking ExpressCard/34 slot
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:10:18 pm

The more complete picture:
MBP 17" Express Slot, Firewire 800
MBP 15" SD Slot, Firewire 800
MBP 13" SD Slot, Firewire 800

So basically we lose SxS on 15." Gain the use of SD on 15" and 13" for SDHC users. Firewire returns for those who need it.
_____

For EX users with SxS cards, they may have to buy a 17" MBP. What a lug!
On the Other hand, for those using MxR, MxM, Hoodman with SDHC they can now use a 13" MBP with SD slot. That's attractive for those needing a smaller portable computer and not wanting to use USB.

Note the return of Firewire. This might be useful if EX in HDV mode could be used with 13" MBP as a portable live streaming HD system.

I really do think there's a need for an Express slot 15" model though. Apple claimed in the keynote that fewer than 1% are using the Express slot. Realistically EX and eSata card users probably don't make up much of a market to cater to.

The SD slot makes the use of SDHC cards in EX that much more compelling. Of course there's an awkward situation if your shooting SxS for Slow Motion and have to find a way to xfer that (or make sure your next Mac laptop is 17" MBP).

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 8, 2009 at 9:00:59 pm

I guess Apple is in business to make as much money as possible. They are not the only ones.

I am happy I have 2 of the 15" and an older 17" w/Express slot. They should last a couple years.

Who knows what will be available then.

Now may be an opportunity to get reduced price on a discontinued unit.

I am sure there will be fw800 to Express and there already are usb to express adapters.

There will also have to be adapters to CF cards, a lot of people use those in still cams like the 5DmkII. I know there are always the slower USB adapters for this.

My Matrox MX02 will only work in an Express slot so I hope Apple will continue to keep the Express slot in the 17" MBP's.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Jun 9, 2009 at 12:34:37 am

Are there any FW800 solutions for reading the SXS cards? Are the USB readers so slow that they're useless for location transfers?

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Jun 9, 2009 at 12:29:03 am

Sorry 'bout trying to change the subject towards a slightly different topic, but, I hope that the ExpressCard/34 slot is retained in the future . . . however, my experience using it for a G-Speed eSATA has been horrific. I've re-mirrored my MacBook Pro (per advice from Apple), replaced my eSATA controller card twice, testing with four different cards, and I have purchased three different cables, all because my 15-inch MacBook Pro locks up whenever I edit with the RAID attached. I started with the $60 eSATA card from an Apple store (tried three of these), then purchased a $120 FirmTEK card, same problem, now I see a faster one advertised from Sonnet for $300.

Remember when Lucy kept pulling the football away when Charlie Brown would try to kick it? Charlie Brown is me!

I only use the MacBook Pro for editing when connected with other G-RAID FireWire drives; I do use it to ingest all EX1 footage, however.

Now, what to do with that $900 G-Speed eSATA . . . ?

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:29:38 am

That's flipping the bird to Sony's SxS. Time to get that MxR adapter if you haven't already.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:55:13 am

[Noah Kadner] "That's flipping the bird to Sony's SxS. Time to get that MxR adapter if you haven't already. "

The problem is if you shoot Slow Motion you're tied to SxS and will need to xfer that. I do think the future is affordable SDHC or CF media. Now if someone can find a way to shoot 720p24/60 on SDHC . . .

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:50:26 am

Again, what are the available options for SXS transfer now? Just the Sony USB reader?

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:49:53 pm

If you shoot SDHC for everything but overcrank, the use of a Sony USB reader won't be too big a workflow bottleneck. I've never considered it terribly slow.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 10, 2009 at 3:13:17 pm

I actually think it is not really a big deal.

Apple has tried to introduce a lot of stuff over the years, and I think the express slot was not a big hit with most of their users. I hear most users actually prefer the SD slot, they say Apple listened.

I am happy they make it available in the TOL model, witch is really the model they see vid users using most.

And we have lots of other ways of getting SxS cards read. (of-course I already have 3 MBP's with Express slots, so it is easy for me to rationalize).

In the short term, the price just dropped on 15's with Express slot. Take advantage of it.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 10, 2009 at 4:32:35 pm

Don't be surprised if the Express slot disappears on the next version of the 17" MBP as well. This was the only model that only received minor improvements, since they updated it just a short time ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]