FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raid for Dummies

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Herman
Raid for Dummies
on Jun 6, 2009 at 12:18:21 pm

My EX-3 arrives Tuesday. I am using FCP Studio2 on a MacPro 8 core 2.26 with three internal 1.5 tera seagates in addition to my maindrive. My need is for safety of original material, given the lack of shoeboxes crammed with original mini-dv tapes. My need is for lots of disk space. My need is for speed. Pretty much that order. Does the following scenario meet my needs or is there a better solution?
*Have my three internal 1.5 tera seagate drives in Raid 0.
*Input my material using http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut.html
with the copy going to a bunch (and what would they look like?) of 1.5 tera external drives.
*Back up my fcp project files in the usual manner.

addendum to question of external drives. can I be looking at something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EdgeStore-DAS401-Bay-eSATA-Enclosure/dp/B001H54JXG
or do I need a card plus a better enclosure for more 1.5 tera seagates?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Raid for Dummies
on Jun 6, 2009 at 4:18:51 pm

You risk the loss of all data with raid Zero. I would change this to Raid 5 with these large drives, or just separated all of them as single drives. You will have plenty of speed with internal esata for multiple streams of EX video from single partition drives. . If you want more internal drives go to http://www.maxupgrades.com and they have a fantastic hardware kit it instal 2 or 4 more drives using the optical space area.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

David Herman
on Jun 6, 2009 at 5:36:39 pm

Cheers Michael. Unfortunately (?) UK based and recently burned by the exorbitant duties our customs are putting on electronics imports, so no maxupgrades for me. Glad to hear I don't have to go down the raid road with my internal disks. What about my external disk setup? In the past I just had a bunch of Daisy chained Lacies. Given the amount of space I imagine now needing, how would you set up an external disk backup system? I can pick up Seagate 1.5 tera disks here for under £100.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 6, 2009 at 6:45:32 pm

You will find these files aren't that much bigger than HDV files, however you will want to keep the original BPAV folders and back them up on 2 separate drives or burn to Blue Ray.

Sorry I'm out of time today, got to go.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jun 7, 2009 at 9:41:22 pm

With a temporal compression scheme like XDcam (MPEG2), the processor torque ends up being a bit more important than the drives, which are only pushing out 40% more data than DV with the EX-1/3 HQ footage.

Keep in mind that fixed drives aren't any less of a data-loss risk than a 'striped' set (not really worthy of a RAID designation, but what is usually called RAID-0). Backup is still important. With a RAID 0 setup you increase the probability of failure by a factor of how many drives you have...(3 drives will have the failure probability of the drive itself times 3...buy more tickets and you're more likely to win the lottery), and of course you'll lose 3 times the data potentially...

With 1 TB external drives going for less than $100.00, a backup system could be as simple as some external drives that you drag and drop the day's project folders to at quitting time.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

David Herman
on Jun 8, 2009 at 5:54:07 pm

Sounds good. Cheers for the advice gentlemen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]