FORUMS: list search recent posts

24 vs 30 fps; 720 for slo mo mixed with 1080?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R. Dale McCarver
24 vs 30 fps; 720 for slo mo mixed with 1080?
on Jun 4, 2009 at 12:00:35 pm

Vortex Media tutorial DVD with the PMW-EX3 says that unless you plan to transfer to film, you should shoot in 30 fps because DVD delivery will be in 30 fps anyway. If that's correct, then for most people, 30 fps is going to give you a smoother motion and you won't really get the film look unless you actually transfer to film, correct? Or am I missing some advantage to shooting in 24 fps anyway?

And (forgive me, just got my camera last week), I can shoot 1080 for real time scenes, then switch to 720 for slo mo and mix those on the FCP timeline and all will be well, with very few people able to tell the slo mo clips were shot in a lower resolution? Correct?

Thanks for any discussion...

R. Dale McCarver

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 24 vs 30 fps; 720 for slo mo mixed with 1080?
on Jun 5, 2009 at 11:23:26 am

Is that what it really says? 24p works perfectly well for TV, DVD and film- there's never a reason to *have* to shoot 30 frames per second. And yes you can typically get away with mixing 1080p with 720p on the same edit without it being overly noticeable.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]