FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 microphone issues...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
EX1 microphone issues...
on Jun 3, 2009 at 1:11:53 pm

Hi all,
I'm still fairly new to my EX1 and am less than impressed with the on-board microphone... I just wondered what anyone else recommends as a replacement? Radio Mic's I have sorted and I also have a 416 but wondered if anyone else had any further suggestions. If so, what settings do you use for good audio?
Thanks for all your help, I'm really enjoying checking into the board every day and more importantly I'm learning a lot!
Nik

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
Re: EX1 microphone issues...
on Jun 4, 2009 at 12:00:24 pm

If you own a 416, you apparently know a good mic when you see one. (hear one)

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:03:40 pm

[Nik Read] "less than impressed with the on-board microphone"

What? You don't like the $ 3.61 (inflated) on-board mic?

We have a 416 and an Audio Technica 815. Both are great for their price range.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jun 6, 2009 at 8:49:07 am

It's weird that the microphone mount on the EX1 is so big. My shotgun mics will not fit
snugly in it. How do you guys mount yours?

Bob

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 6, 2009 at 12:44:23 pm

I use the Senhieser K6 with either cardioid or super cardioid head. I have 4 of them with 2 omni, 1 lav 2 cardioid and one supercardioid head. It is great to have so many different setups w/o spending a fortune.

I like them a lot, super cardioid sound is similar to the 416. There is even a 18" hyper cardioid head available, a sound guy I use from time to time likes that head.

A comment on the mike mount. My EX3 plastic mount has broken twice now. I have epoxied it back together, works OK.

The first time was in an airline overhead bin, extremely bumpy flight in a Portabrace smuggler case. The second someone picked up the camera by the mike. I am glad the mike mount broke not the lcd monitor or the whole mike protrusion on the camera.

Now I have purchased a :
http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/ex1-flat
For the next time it brakes off. And I have a good hotshoe shockmount to go with it that fits my Senhieser mikes.

If a mike is smaller than shockmount then just wrap some foam around mike to fatten up mike, in an emergency you can even use gaffer tape.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:48:26 am

[olof ekbergh] "The second someone picked up the camera by the mike."

I hope you slapped that hand.

(by the way, it's spelled "mic". Mike is a person)

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Jun 8, 2009 at 12:58:12 am

What I think is weird is the "chirping" I have been getting on my wild sound audio while using a Sony ECM 678 on my EX-1. It occurs mostly during windy situations, as it seems almost like it's some sort of overdrive condition, the audio meter is well within range while recording. It is not audible in my headphones while recording but certainly is in the suite.

I read about something vaguely similar in a firmware update, which I still have not done. I don't know if that will fix the problem.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Other than that I love the mic, although it is a bit pricey. I used to use a 674 on a Panasonic DVC-Pro AJD 700, and before that on an old betacam, both with tremendous results. I think for the price the 674 is a mic that can provide great sound and good service. More-over, it is very rugged- I used to shoot news, and the ENG world can test the toughest of gear. The 674 never failed me.

Only trouble is the length- which is why I chose the 678- matches the camera dimensions a bit better.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Jun 8, 2009 at 12:50:02 pm

thanks guys, very much for all your comments. I really do wonder why Sony even bothered with such a poor onboard mic? Surely they could have one better than that?!?!?! I must admit that it's definitely the audio aspect of the EX1 that I'm really having to work at to get the best results.
How do others feel the quality of audio compares to the quality of video?
Nik

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Jun 8, 2009 at 2:40:17 pm

Nik, I have been very impressed with the video, not so much with the audio capabilities of the EX-1.

Maybe my opinion will change after I send the camera in for the firmware fix.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:26:41 pm

The controversial BassPig has given the EX-1 a BIG thumbs up. Good "Pig Keeping" seal of approval?

The ONLY problem I have with the audio is the limiter which can't be bypassed/disabled. Of course one could argue if you hear the limiter pump, the alternative will sound a lot worse. Others will rightfully that in some cases the points of distortion are not as bad as the pumping. An example was when I shot fireworks. The pumping on the explosions was obvious whereas distortion would not be. After all they are explosions.

The Mic Preamp though is very nice as camera mic preamps go (certainly in its price range).

http://aamserver.dnsalias.com/basspig/PMW-EX1AudioTips.htm
He notes audio improvements with firmware 1.11.
http://aamserver.dnsalias.com/basspig/PMW-EX1%20New%20Firmware.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]