FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do I play xdcam footage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petra Bauer
how do I play xdcam footage
on Jun 1, 2009 at 7:26:26 pm

Hi,

I just received xdcam footage. The cameraman has converted them to quicktime files. On his computer I saw that they had a quicktime icon. However when I open them on my comuter the quicktime icon on the files is gone, and instead they show as .move file. And when I try to open them on my computer (Mac Book Pro with Quicktime player7.6) I can hear sound but no image. How do I solve that?

Thanks!

/Petra

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: how do I play xdcam footage
on Jun 1, 2009 at 7:36:15 pm

If you do not have Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and up you do not have XDCAM EX MOV codec installed.
You would probably need to buy CalibratedSoftware's EX MOV decoder for non FCP Macs and Windows.
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

You might want to check to see if VLC Player will play them. I haven't tested with MOV but it works for MP4.

Return to posts index

John Woodman
on Jun 2, 2009 at 9:27:32 am

I've got some simular problem. FCP 6.0.4 can open the xdcam ex files, but quicktime does not recognize them. Any Idea?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 2, 2009 at 3:01:52 pm

I don't know what you mean by [John Woodman] "FCP 6.0.4 can open the xdcam ex files, but quicktime does not recognize them. "

FCP can play and EX MOV, Quicktime should too. They're accessing the same component. You need to explain "open" and "recognize" given the above context.

Return to posts index

John Woodman
on Jun 2, 2009 at 5:33:00 pm

I mean I can view the files in FCP, but not in Quicktime. Quicktime keeps on telling me I have to install an extra codec. When I check this, I see the 1,4 codec is installed.

Return to posts index

Petra Bauer
on Jun 2, 2009 at 6:01:39 pm

Hi,

I received this link from my friend yesterday and when I installed it quicktime could play the footage.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/discretecosine/164630.html

best
/p.

Return to posts index

Steve Ogden
on Oct 3, 2009 at 2:45:41 am

I have this prob too, but note that the discrete open source codec only kinda works. I've been getting bad frame glitchiness when viewing in quicktime or working with in after effects. fine great for normal viewing. I'm going to try trashing prefs.

Return to posts index

Tamsin Graham
on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:14:30 pm

I am having the same problem and have downloaded the perian for XDcam, but i dont know where to put it, (or even how to put it somewhere)

Ta

Tamsin

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:30:32 pm

It would go in the Quicktime folder. I'd think there'd be a readme about that although wouldn't know that for sure.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 2, 2009 at 6:28:25 pm

[John Woodman] "Quicktime keeps on telling me I have to install an extra codec. When I check this, I see the 1,4 codec is installed."

Try trashing the preferences for QT Player. It should work if you have v.7.3.1 or better. No other codecs are needed if you already have Final Cut Pro v.6.0.2 or better. I can view XDCAM EX clips in the stand alone Quicktime Player just fine as long as the files have been previously converted to the Quicktime .mov format from the native .mp4 format by Sony's Transfer Tool app.

- Don

Addition: Sometimes QT Player will not initially "see" the FCP codecs after an upgrade. That's why I suggested the preference trashing. Try running FCP and Quicktime Player at the same time and see if you can now play EX clips within QT Player.

Return to posts index

John Woodman
on Jun 13, 2009 at 10:39:46 pm

Hi, thanks for the tips. but what is exactly "trashing the quicktime preferences"? How exactly do you do that?

thx in advance.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 14, 2009 at 1:37:54 am

Here is the path on your hard drive:

Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences
  • >com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
  • >com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist

Drag both preference files to the trash but don't empty the trash........yet. New preference files will be created the next time QT Player is started. Start QT Player and see if your XDCAM EX files will now play properly. If they do then you can empty the trash bin.

- Don

Return to posts index

Brian Rose
on Jun 24, 2009 at 6:42:47 pm

Did anyone ever figure this one out? I'm having the same problem. My XDCAM files (that have been transferred correctly to .mov) are visible on another computer but not on my Macbook. When I open them up all I get is sound. I've tried trashing the preference files but that doesn't work either.

I know I don't need a special codec to see these. I'm also running FCP 6.03 and it has the same problem, sound but no images.

No one can figure this out!! Any ideas?

Grazie.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2009 at 6:49:09 pm

Read above thread. Follow instructions. Post exactly what you did an the results.
FCP 6.0.3 should have the codec. Some installs are "funky" though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]