FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freeze frames from EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Schott
Freeze frames from EX1
on May 29, 2009 at 5:20:28 pm

OK. Here's a dead horse I want to hit a bit more. Right now, if I want to get a freezeframe, I import through XDCAM Transfer. In FCP, I select "make a freezeframe", then open in Photoshop to tweak, frame up, crop, etc. When I go to canvas size it is always 72 dpi. When I change to 300 dpi it obviously shrinks the size but is there a way of getting a better image? I'm wondering if I get the video from uncompressed, through an AJA card live into FCP, would that improve the size/quality of the freeze frame once in Photoshop? Or is there a whole nuther work flow I'm missing? Thanks!

When you've got family... everything else is extra

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Freeze frames from EX1
on May 29, 2009 at 5:59:57 pm

DPI is meaningless in video. A still from 1080p from the EX1 is going to be 1920x1080 at 72dpi because that's screen resolution. But DPI is only significant when you print that image on paper. It's always 1920x1080 pixels no matter how dense you print it.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 29, 2009 at 6:07:44 pm

The real challenge is when you have to use video "stills" for print purposes (DVD covers or one sheet marketing things).

Richard Harrington had a uprezing tutorial somewhere online to make the best of such a situation.

Return to posts index

Stephen Schott
on May 29, 2009 at 7:48:07 pm

That is what I'm doing. My client had a photog. screw up the stills and is now wanting to know if we can get stills off our footage. Possibility of magazine cover shots... 300dpi stuff. My response was we could get stills off the footage, but the quality is the question. At 300 dpi, I can get something like, 5" by whatever. That still doesn't have much to do with the "quality" but as long as I don't mess with the straight conversions... I'll have to look for that tutorial. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 29, 2009 at 8:17:26 pm

Yeah, it seems like print people can't wrap their heads around the idea that DPI only matters on paper.

"When you've got family... everything else is extra"

Amen to that.

Have a good weekend,
Cf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 29, 2009 at 9:52:27 pm

You may want to put it into perspective for your client and advise that a still image from EX 1080 footage is the same as shooting with a 2.1 megapixel still camera. Not a lot of resolution compared to today's pro still cameras.

There is another way to get a still image from video in Final Cut Pro by using the Command: Export Using Quicktime Conversion>Still Image. From the next menu you can choose your image format (TIFF - PNG - JPEG, etc.) This may or may not improve the quality of your exported image over the "freeze frame" method. Choose an uncompressed picture format such as TIFF. I can't remember if you have the same kind of export choices when making a "freeze frame" within FCP.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 29, 2009 at 11:06:01 pm

1920x1080 maybe for up to a 1/4 page sure- but for a cover image- no way. Do a reshoot with a proper DSLR if it's that important.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 30, 2009 at 7:16:22 pm

Old Tutorial from Richard Harrington on uprezzing video for print
http://www.rastervector.com/downloads/May_June%2005%20Video%20Collection.pd...
It doesn't perform miracles. Just makes the best of a bad situation.

There are also a couple of plugins that help uprez but I remember talking to one of the developers and they too said not to expect miracles.

Genuine Fractals is one such plugin
http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Return to posts index

Stephen Schott
on May 30, 2009 at 7:21:17 pm

Thanks Craig. I've been off and on looking for the tutorial and couldn't find it. I appreciate the help. I know that this isn't even in the ballpark of a "good" situation, but the client is fairly ticked, and desperate. Appreciate it. Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 1, 2009 at 4:11:38 am

Scott Kelby & Matt Klowskowski: aka "The Photoshop Guys" over on PhotoshopUserTV.com covered a piece of software for uprezing. I can't remember the name. They were also amazed on the quality. I've been deinterlacing my stills in photoshop for a more crisper image. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've printed up to and 8x10 with nice crisp images. I mostly use these images for DVD cases or promo materials.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:24:27 pm

That software was probably Genuine Fractals. I've never tried it myself, but I've seen rave reviews of it for years.

Cf

Return to posts index

Stephen Schott
on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:24:46 pm

So you de-interlaced... what dpi to get the 8x10 and it still look decent? Any other programs/plug-ins/tricks?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 1, 2009 at 2:49:17 pm

I didn't use any other 3rd party. As long as the shot is crisp, your photo's will be too. I even sell photo books from stills I've grabbed off of the video. 8x10. I do some creative editing in Photoshop to make them pop; contrast, skin retouch, softening, colorizing, sepia, b & w, etc.

I just use iPhoto to put the books together. easy squeezy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]