FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex1 auto trace white balance issues

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom alexander
ex1 auto trace white balance issues
on May 28, 2009 at 6:49:05 pm

When I need to use Auto trace white balance, I find the camera slow to react to changes in lighting.
For example, shooting in ATW mode and going from outside sun to inside tungsten. The ATW speed is set at 3 however I'm not noticing a change in speed for the ATW. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Is this just how the camera works or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: ex1 auto trace white balance issues
on May 28, 2009 at 8:47:22 pm

I have the same problem. The camera can take as long as 30 seconds to react to lighting changes.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on May 30, 2009 at 11:24:51 am

You can set the speed of WB.

See manual.

Below is a screen shot from p 117 of EX3 manual.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

tom alexander
on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:10:38 pm

Thanks for your help. The problem is no matter what ATW set number is set you, it's always takes 10 seconds to change. Anybody have any ideas before I have to deal Sony>

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:28:02 pm

I would suggest contacting Sony, and please report back what you find. I did a wedding yesterday, and had to rely on ATW in a couple of instances. I have the speed settings on the highest number, and the camera just took it's good time before reacting to changes in light temperature. Sometimes, it's a minute or more before anything happens. Useless!

Return to posts index

tom alexander
on Jun 5, 2009 at 1:45:30 pm

Even when the ATW is set to the fastest speed(9), it still takes a about 4 to 5 seconds to adjust. But what I have also noticed is that halfway through a 5 minute shot, with no lighting change, it re-adjusts to a better white balance, completely ruining a take.

I shoot a lot of video that does not afford me the time to manually adjust white balance. I've owned many cameras over the years and find this camera's ATW function completely unreliable.

I guess it's Sony warranty time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]