FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 New Lens Suggestions?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
EX3 New Lens Suggestions?
on May 28, 2009 at 8:41:07 am

Ok, so have been struggling to do smooth zooms using the supplied lens,(even with a remote controller) and have noticed from these boards that this seems to be a common problem. So it looks like a proper replacement lens is needed.

I have narrowed my lens search down to 3 lenses:

Canon KH20x6.4KRS
Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM
Canon KH13x4.5KRS (Wide angle)

Does anyone have experience / suggestions for any of these - or alternatives?

Thanks - Martin.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: EX3 New Lens Suggestions?
on May 28, 2009 at 11:01:44 am

Sony replaced my lens about 6 months ago and it has been very smooth ever since then.

I wold insist on a replacement.

I would choose Canon KH20x6.4KRS as a second lens because I could use a longer lens than standard.

If you do get a second lens send the original back to Sony and insist on a replacement.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

David Issko
on May 29, 2009 at 5:16:33 am

I bought the XS 17x5.5BRM lens when I bought the camera. Not only do you have superb control over zoom speed & smoothness, but the better ergonomics of the lens and setup lends itself to a better hand holding/semi shoulder mounting experience, which, in my opinion, offsets from the added weight to the front.

I also have the VF Gadgets reinforced base plate and connected to it is my radio mic receiver which adds a little weight at the back.

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on May 29, 2009 at 7:49:08 am

Thank you Olof and David.

I have seen lots of positive comments about the Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM, so will probably go with this. Presumably, David, I just use the supplied adapter (which came with the camera) and off I go? Does the power for the zoom servo etc. come through the internal connections on the outside of the lens (like on the supplied lens)? Also, presumably I can plug a normal remote zoom demand into the usual place under the lens?

Thanks - Martin.

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on May 29, 2009 at 10:24:34 am

As I understand it, the supplied lens adapter does not provide any connections to the electronics. Fuji makes an adapter that has a connector to jump the camera to b-4 mount lenses. It costs over $1500.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on May 29, 2009 at 11:40:49 am

The supplied adapter is for 1/2" glass it does power lens from contacts on mount, for lenses that have contacts on mount.

2/3" lenses that require external cable need the Fuji adapter.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on May 29, 2009 at 11:44:05 am

Yes, my adapter has connections on both sides. So hopefully this should go straight into the XS17?

Return to posts index

Harry Newman
on May 29, 2009 at 4:31:42 pm

There is no way the EX3 lens is suppose to be jerking. I have often had trouble over a zoom of 10 (at 13, 16, even 18 speeds). Sony needs to fix this! They know it's a common problem. But they want me to send in the camera that I depend on day to day to make a living. I have a hard time being without it for possibly two or three weeks to fix.

I am going to continue contacting them, until a reasonable solution is reached. I suggest others with this problem do the same. There may be many more users out there that have no idea the zoom is defective. Call and write Sony... that's what I am doing.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on May 30, 2009 at 11:33:57 am

My dealer (I have been using him for over 15 years now) lent me another 1/2" lens a Fuji 17x while he raised heck with Sony and I had a brand new lens within 2 weeks. I had full use of the cam the whole time.

This was about 8 months ago when Sony did not have enough of the lenses to ship new cams.

Thanks Kevin.

Talk to your dealer.

This is why I always use a dealer when buying expensive equipment, not a "super WEB store".

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]