FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed Greenscreen Footage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
Uncompressed Greenscreen Footage
on May 25, 2009 at 2:40:44 pm

I have heard there is a way to get the Sony EX1 to capture direct to a computer - capturing uncompressed footage direct to a hard drive. I have been told this will give me better footage for keying.

I have a brand new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro but no special capture cards..

Can someone tell me how this is done and what I'd need to buy (if that's needed) to do this.

Also.. any way to do it on location direct to a laptop?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Uncompressed Greenscreen Footage
on May 25, 2009 at 3:01:55 pm

Hi Joseph,
You need a Mac Pro (MBP Can not) and a good video card. There are few models able to do it.
You will need as well a very fast RAID system an lot of room.
Before going to spend any money in that workflow, think about a ProRess workflow.
You can get the same quality key without such a high performance equipment and with much less storage requirements.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2009 at 5:31:25 pm

MacBook Pro with AJA IO or maybe Matrox MXO 2 can do AppleProRes which may be good enough.

I have no problem keying XDCAM EX shot Progressive though. Very very very clean key. Nearly one click key using just the keyer in Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 25, 2009 at 3:11:19 pm

You may want to check out the Matrox MXO2 I/O that will allow you to capture Pro Rez with both MBP and Mac Pro. This is an amazing product and I highly recommend it.
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 25, 2009 at 6:13:14 pm

Yeah un-compressed is not really necessary. Just do an ace job with setting up the screen and the lighting and XDCAM EX will key fine.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 26, 2009 at 1:18:21 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Yeah un-compressed is not really necessary. Just do an ace job with setting up the screen and the lighting and XDCAM EX will key fine."

Agreed.

(...though ProRes will certainly key fine as well...ProRes will take far more space than the EX1 HQ footage...and of course uncompressed would be great, but pretty clumsy to deal with on any but the highest end systems and high end projects).

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 26, 2009 at 3:04:12 pm

I just did a seven minute video comprised of blue screen shots from our EX-1. They were done in cramped quarters on the road, nature of the gig, without optimal lighting. They still worked great. It was a "coverflow" animation type of thing, the effect you get when flipping through album covers in iTunes. I had two shots where people wore a turquoise or blue that confused the keyer, but they were easily solved with mattes.

I came from DV so keying XDCAM footage is a dream come true.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]