FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Store Hundreds of Hours of EX Footage to be Edited Months Down the Road

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
How to Store Hundreds of Hours of EX Footage to be Edited Months Down the Road
on May 22, 2009 at 4:23:06 pm

I'm a production/post-production company that does a couple of hundred of events per year. During the busiest time of year, we'll shoot a lot of events, then not even begin the edits for three months. We'll have more than a hundred events on the shelf waiting to be cut, each with an average of 3 hours of master footage; so more than 300 hours of footage sitting on the shelf for three months.

I'm currently shooting with the PDW-F330s and F350s. Shooting to the XDCAM discs makes that workflow possible; however, I'd like to start migrating to lighter cameras, specifically the EXs.

Is there any possible, practical way to use EXs for the workflow I'm describing? To put 300+ hours of EX footage on the shelf for editing months down the road?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to Store Hundreds of Hours of EX Footage to be Edited Months Down the Road
on May 22, 2009 at 4:40:20 pm

You could burn the data to Blu-ray disks.

Some people have been waiting for a Sony firmware update for the PDW-U1 "dumb" drive to open up the data capacity to the full size of the disk. When that happens you'll be able to copy the EX BPAV to XDCAM disk as data files (you wont have to convert to XDCAM HD MXF). Alas the wait for the firmware update has been FAR LONGER than Sony had originally implied (at least as I remember it).

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: How to Store Hundreds of Hours of EX Footage to be Edited Months Down the Road
on May 22, 2009 at 5:27:07 pm

You might look into something called the "Wrangler" made by 1 Beyond and available at Abel Cinetech. It's available for P2, and SXS management. I've never used it nor do I have any idea how much it costs.

Regards,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 23, 2009 at 4:35:37 am

Hi Thomas,
I'm archiving my EX-1 footage in Data Bluray discs.
You can toast a 50GB BR with 3 hours footage in some 45 minutes.
You can even edit directly from the disc. Read 4 x RT.
Price of the media is about some 12 US$ now.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]