FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Zoom Sticking at Slow Speeds

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Gonsett
EX3 Zoom Sticking at Slow Speeds
on May 22, 2009 at 1:20:02 am

Is anyone else having trouble when using the zoom rocker on the EX3 lens? At slow speeds, especially when starting out, it sticks. Basically, it's starts out jerking from 0 to 10. This is making it very hard to ease-into a zoom at a slow speed. Is anyone else having this issue?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX3 Zoom Sticking at Slow Speeds
on May 22, 2009 at 1:52:28 am

A zoom speed of 1 is jerky on my EX3 but 2 or faster is smooth.

- Don

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on May 22, 2009 at 2:13:28 am

Sony replaced my lens when I had this problem under warranty, it should be smooth even on 1.

This is a fairly common problem, I have read about 4-5 others with the same problem.

Search posts and you will find threads about this problem.

My dealer lent me another lens when mine was at Sony NJ. It took about 2 weeks but Sony sent me a brand new lens. It has worked great for the past 6 months.

My original lens seemed a little jerky when I first got it, I thought it was me. Then it got much worse even 13 was jerky.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Bob Gonsett
on May 22, 2009 at 4:17:54 am

Thanks Olof. That's what I thought too. It does seem to be getting worse. Like you, I thought it was me at first.

Other professional lens offer a smooth creep in, ramping up in speed. This EX3 lens jerking is just not right.

I called Sony and they wanted the whole camera. I am inclined to just send the lens. You have good dealer to lend you a lens. I think another call to Sony is in order.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on May 22, 2009 at 2:46:39 pm

Just had my lens replaced on the EX3 and it is unusable.I will try to get another new one or at worst ask for my original lens back.It wasn't great but it was a lot better than the new one supplied.We do a lot of interviews which always start at the wide end of the lens and then zoom to a single from a two shot.Forget it .It looks like some one has bumped you from behind when you try to ease the zoomrocker.Let me know if any one has success with the fix on this problem.
MJ

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2009 at 2:54:30 pm

I had this issue with my EX1 in early 2008. Sony tried replacing the lens but told me that didn't fix it so they replaced the entire camera.

I'm mentioning this because although the EX3 certainly has interchangeable lenses, the issue may not simply be fixed by replacing the lens. My guess is may well be a lens / camera communication issue.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on May 22, 2009 at 2:58:45 pm

You may be right Craig.This happened when they did the firmware upgrade and replaced the lens. It may be the upgrade as it also screwed up my 60fps. 50 fps is OK but 60 with any combo of shutter or no shutter results in horrible flicker and banding running through the frame. All fine before the firmware upgrade.Any way the EX3 is down for the count until sony can help me out.Maybe Fujinon could get involved and let us know that it is a Sony problem.
MJ

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2009 at 5:45:57 pm

The firmware upgrade can DEFINITELY introduce problems. For me the odd problem was I could not playback files from card and have HD-SDI out at the same time. Almost not even a rational technical connection. I brought my camera back to Sony service center and they reinstalled the firmware and it fixed the problem.

Sony had no problem replacing the camera when I had the zoom issue. They tried replacing lens first and called and told me that didn't work and got Sony approval to replace. It took 3 weeks.

Sony had no problem redoing firmware install a 2nd time. Fortunately for me I live only 20 minutes from their New Jersey center so I brought in the camera and the did it while I waited.

Return to posts index

Harry Newman
on May 22, 2009 at 11:21:34 pm

Thanks guys.

I thought it was me. My 3 month old EX3 does the same thing. Now I know I'd better see what the dealer or Sony can do for me.

The camera is great, but the zoom rocker is unacceptable. None of my other cameras have every had a slow zoom problem.

Thanks for helping me discover that it's the camera, and not me.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on May 23, 2009 at 1:57:56 pm

It seems as though Sony have have just undone all the the great breakthrough work they have done with this this amazing EX-3 camera.Doesn't matter how good this camera is ,if you cant do a simple zoom for a client then they say lets use something else.I was in that boat yesterday.Client loves the pictures but asked for the 709 because it will zoom from a 2shot to a single smoothly.Surely Sony will acknowledge this when they see all their hard work go down the drain over a simple lens fault. Long Live the EX-3 but please sort out this otherwise faultless lens.
MJ

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 23, 2009 at 3:06:54 pm

Granted it's poor QC on Sony's part but there's no problem here on acknowledgment. They replaced my camera. There was no issue at all convincing them of the issue. I just wish they QC'd the cameras better.

Return to posts index

Chris Clifton
on May 23, 2009 at 1:57:39 am

I also have this problem as well as back focus issues, which is the main problem. Unusable for 8 months going on 9 months and no help from Sony despite repeated efforts--shipped to California, returned unrepaired, and after a lot of whining I was told it would be replaced. Yet, I still have it, and am making payments month after month. I need to know if others have received same treatment. If you still have not been serviced, if repairs are not happening, if there IS NO REPAIR but we're being told there is one pending, I need to know. Enough is enough.

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:56:58 pm

Just talked to the tech in Teaneck NJ who has my camera on his bench with the sticky zoom issue.

He states that Fujinon recommends that we do NOT set the internal menu slow speed below 10!
How I am supposed to operate a slow zoom at that speed???

The tech also states that EVERY EX3 they have in there-even NEW ONES- have this issue.
The problem is in the lens-not in the circuitry. This is a problem with Fujinon-according to my very nice tech who called me to explain the issue.

So. If you got a new camera and the zoom worked well, consider yourself lucky.
If you have not tried the camera with a slow zoom setting below 10, I hope you will and post the results.

Not sure what to do with this information. Should I expect a sticky zoom for a camera that costs under $8500?

Has anyone experienced this zoom issue with other lenses besides the factory lens??

This is not good.

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2009 at 5:19:02 pm

It sounds like a duck to me. If some can work and other don't then they should replace.

Note my EX1 was replaced for this very issue. Zoom is smooth as silk down to 2 now.

If they REALLY believed below 10 shouldn't be an option they need to change that in firmware. If someone sold you a phone and the number ONE key didn't work and said the manufacturer recommended not using it . . . . do I need to go further.

Imagine them saying ND2 shouldn't be used or some parts of the time lapse interval settings shouldn't be used. Oh and if 1080p30 doesn't work right don't use that either. We just included it to pretend it's part of the feature set.

Sorry but this is absurd. Either Sony needs to change the firmware or Fujinon needs to do better QC on their lenses because MANY EX cameras DO support zoom speeds slower than 10. Heck I thought I was being too soft by not insisting speed 1 should work too. If a feature doesn't work THEY should either Fix or Change. It's not up to you to "accept" a flaw unless, like some monitors for example, they'll tell you up front some number of dead pixels are acceptable (and that sure tells me to avoid buying the monitor or having the right to check at point of purchase).

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:41:45 pm

A call to my Sony sales rep may have helped. Teaneck is trying to see if a new lens will be the ticket or if we just get more of the same. Apparently the lens I sent in with the issue is one of the better ones they have seen.
Seems like I am getting some upgrades as well since it is in for service. I will post the results when I get it back.
Looks like I may be saving up for a "real" lens if that is possible in this climate.

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jul 13, 2009 at 5:32:40 pm

Camera came back with a new lens. Jerky zoom right from the start and then smooths out. The smoothest zoom is when the menu speed is set at 10 or above. It came back from the tech's table set at 2, zoom was very sticky at several places when set at this super slow speed.
I am working with the supervisor at Teaneck, NJ. regarding this issue.

Will keep posting on the outcome.

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2009 at 5:39:43 pm

Keep up the fight.

With my EX1 they did try to replace the lens at the shop and after testing they weren't happy so they replaced the entire camera.

What's going on with Sony's QC and QA?
They should have tested the camera before shipping it back to you.

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 18, 2009 at 4:03:05 pm

mine was on the bench in teaneck this past week. i spoke to the tech and he asked about the grab-handle rocker, if i was having the issue there or at the primary zoom control rocker at the lens. he started to tell me that if it was with the grab-handle rocker that i was out of luck. it seems like sony doesn't care about the programmable slow zoom. personally i don't care about the grab-handle either, i just want the primary servo rocker - the one at the lens - to work properly, as i figure if they get that to work then i should be able to execute slow zooms with a rear-zoom control as well.

seriously, the camera isn't usable without a proper zoom. i can think of few better ways to make yourself look like an incompetent in front of your client than to not be able to execute a smooth zoom.

i hope they come through. we only purchased the camera a few weeks ago.

Return to posts index

craig incardone
on Nov 4, 2009 at 2:42:04 am

Wow! I just experienced this last week on a shoot, It hasn't really happened before and
it just seemed to start happening recently to me. I was very pissed because it happened
on a medical interview shoot. I switched to manual mode which still is not the
best but is better than the servo at this point! I think this is a problem that catches up
to the camera rather than a characteristic of the camera. I may try some air to the seam
where the zoom motor is. Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Frank Dimmock
on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:03:59 am

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, so please go easy on me!

I've bought an EX3 recently and found the slow zoom problem with the lens. I bought the EX3 primarily as an HD upgrade from my SD DSR-250 and PD-170 for wedding work and of course slow zooms are essential.

The dealer has confirmed the problem and checked my lens on several other EX3s and other lenses on my EX3 and they are all the same. They are obviously not impressed and lent me an excellent lens for my first job, but that doesn't solve my problem. I broke the bank buying the EX3, so can't afford a new lens and Sony aren't interested. The dealer has asked me to email them with my complaint and they will forward it to their Sony representative, but I don't know if that will do any good.

Being an engineer and having access to world-class electromechanical engineers, I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to cure the problem or knows of the exact cause? I've obtained the schematic diagram for the camera, but can't find one for the stock lens. There appears to be a 3V and an unregulated 12V supply through the lens connector, but short of dismantling my lens, I can't easily learn any more.

Question: Does anyone have any hard info on the problem, know of a technical solution or even have a broken lens I can obtain to pull apart please? I'm of the opinion I can resolve the problem with a better motor/gearbox, maybe using an R/C servo or similar?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]