FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting my “Days of Thunder” project

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Shooting my “Days of Thunder” project
on May 21, 2009 at 8:53:01 pm

I am currently planning production for a corporate Racing based production shot in HD. We are sponsoring a car and printing our logos for the new car wrap and side of the transport truck. This car is similar to NASCAR, however it is a couple of series down in order to improve sponsorship pricing. This car will actually race and the shots captured from the racing scenes will be integral to the entire production.

Now that you have a little background, I will ask my questions. My first question is this. I usually shoot most of my productions with the Sony F350 in 24p, because I like the look. I know that with the cars moving at high speeds and shooting 24p, I am more likely to get shots that will not be nearly as smooth as shooting 60i. However, if is increase my shutter speed considerably (recommendations would be appreciated here) can I get good looking shots shooting in 24p. If it’s just a bad idea, let me know. If you have other recommendations for shooting race footage, especially camera setup, I would be thankful for that as well.

Mike

Return to posts index

Joe Tyler
Re: Shooting my “Days of Thunder” project
on May 27, 2009 at 3:18:17 pm

I shoot a ton of car footage for BMW. The bottom line is 24p is its own look and not much will come close. It visually closer to the film look because the frame rate is the same. Blur, motion jutter, etc.
When shooting cars, most people would aim for something a little more crips.

If you love the 24p look shoot 24p, leave the lens as wide as possible and have the shutter set very high (near 1/500th equiv). That might reduce the jutter enough for you.

The other option (which is what I do for my clients) is shoot the cars at 30P and have a film filter added in post. That way the editor can dial in the look.

Also with lots of cars and reflective surfaces, I'd recommend a polarizer for the lens. Will reduce glare.

http://www.killianthered.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]