FORUMS: list search recent posts

accidently formatted MxR SD card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Andronis
accidently formatted MxR SD card
on May 19, 2009 at 10:17:28 pm

Hi to all,

I stupidly formatted a MxR (SanDisk Ultra II 16GB SD) card, whilst in my EX-1.
This card had about 50 mins of HDV footage.
Realiazing what I had done, I took the card out of the camera & write protected it.
Obviously the EX-1 & windows could not see any clips on it.
After trying a heaps of trial recovery software with no success, I used "RescuePRO Deluxe" which recoverd 13.8GB of data.
I had 20 clips on that card, but the recovery found about 76 clips (mp4), 3 swf's & 1 flv file.
Being a Vegas 8 user, I downloaded the Vegas 9 trial, as I know it supports mp4 straight onto the timeline.
Unfortunatly when I drag the recovered mp4's onto the timeline, V9 wont accept them.
If someone could please help and put a end to my suffering, I would greatfully appreciate it.

Cheers
Colin

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: accidently formatted MxR SD card
on May 20, 2009 at 12:44:49 am

See the post linked to below. One of the programs claims SxS file recovery support.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/864715

I've heard one of the issues is supposed card fragmentation which results in pieces of MP4 files, that can't be played as a result.

One of my rules is to NEVER format cards in camera during a shoot. It's why I advise against it. Using delete clips from ClipBrowser after having moved the clips off the card is safer.

Of course using a bunch of MxR/M/Hoodman adaptors with 32GB cards is really the safest (or 16GB cards if you can't get 32GB). My objective is to eliminate human error during the shoot by minimizing card changes and eliminating offloading entirely during a shoot.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 20, 2009 at 3:11:01 am

I'll do you one better- never format SDHC cards until a project is done. They are so cheap there's no excuse for this sorta accident. I've even archived projects on the cards.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 20, 2009 at 4:57:33 am

Agreed!
When you look at the prices of HDCAM tape or XDCAM disc, SDHC is very price per GB competitive.
There's really no reason to mess with the cards during a shoot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]