FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Lens options

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james Milonski
EX3 Lens options
on May 13, 2009 at 9:11:25 pm

Looking for some quality glass for the ex3 with the ACM 21- 2/3 adapter.The ZA17 x7.6 BERM from fuji, and the 19 x 7.3 BESMDHD from Angenieux are around 10 K. Questions, How important is a good lens? What other lens options that will give similar results in quality and focal length (for wildlife)? Are any of the auto features of these lenses usable with use of adapter? Does the lens need additional support,ZA17 weight 1.43 kilo,and 19x7.3 Angenieux 1.84 kilo?

Jim Milonski
Thank you
first post

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: EX3 Lens options
on May 13, 2009 at 11:39:49 pm

Glass is the most important part of the entire package. Too many people go cheap on the lens and wonder later why their picture is fuzzy on the edges or gets dark when they zoom all the way in.

I bought the first internal focus lens ever made for eng, the Canon 14x with a doubler ($10k in 1995). The camera that I bought it for is long gone but the lens is still here after 13 years. I put it on our F-900 HD camera on occasion when the situation calls for it. People have asked me: "What kind of camera do ya have hanging off the back of that lens these days?"

The image is only as good as your glass.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

james Milonski
Re: EX3 Lens options
on May 14, 2009 at 4:22:26 pm

Steve, when using a lens of this type, what functions remain automatic, and what becomes a manual operation to the cameraman? My brother (cameraman) is use to shooting with full auto on lower end cameras with century optics 2x or 1.6x. The gl2, xl2. xha1. I suppose there will be quite a learning curb for him.Is any additional support needed for the lens?

James milonski
thank you Steve

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
Doing wildlife shots?
on May 14, 2009 at 1:05:20 pm

You may want to look at a "dumb" nikon adapter and use a Nikkor with manual f-stops.

The small chip size of the EX3 actually crops the Nikkor and makes a 100mm lens about
550mm, which will obviously get you pretty close to the action!

Here is one of those such adapters...
http://www.mtfservices.com/mtf-products-list/mounts-and-adaptors/21-nikon-t...

Return to posts index

james Milonski
Re: Doing wildlife shots?
on May 14, 2009 at 4:45:21 pm

Will, I went to nikkors site and looked at the non-AF lenses. what quality video would this lens capture with the ex3?

James Milonski
Thank you

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
on May 14, 2009 at 5:39:03 pm

I would search for the EX3 on the "Under Water, Over Land" section of another
popular DV site.

Also... just search google with something like "ex3 wildlife nikkor" and you will get lots
of info.

Return to posts index

james Milonski
on May 14, 2009 at 5:47:54 pm

Wil, thank you for the information.

James Milonskil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]