FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is shotput worth it?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Graziano
Is shotput worth it?
on May 12, 2009 at 10:00:10 pm

Does anybody use Shotput pro for XD Cam EX footage ingest from SxS?

Just got an EX3 and still figuring out best work flow.

Is shotput worth the 90$?

Are there any similar alternatives that you use / recommend?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Is shotput worth it?
on May 12, 2009 at 10:37:32 pm

[Michael Graziano] "Does anybody use Shotput pro for XD Cam EX footage ingest from SxS?"

I don't use it but I can relate a story about it. I learned that an EX user had one video clip on a16 Gbyte SxS Pro card that Sony's Clip Browser couldn't 'see' even though the camera could play it back in media mode. This person also has Shotput and that program was able to see the clip and transfer it over to a hard drive. It was then revealed by the same user that the card was yanked out of the camera while it was still recording to it, which is a big no-no. That's why the user was having trouble accessing the file via Clip Browser. Shotput was able to see and transfer the file whereas Clip Browser couldn't, so in that case Shotput was definitely worth it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on May 13, 2009 at 11:28:32 am

I use it and like the logging feature, the fact that it lets you know when it's done with the transfer, ejects the media card, and lets you send to multiple devices at the same time for backup.
Never had a problem with the program.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 13, 2009 at 2:10:10 pm

Speaking of logging... I was dismayed yesterday when I opened some clip folders in XDCAM Transfer to find that the clips didn't have any titles or comments. A project manager had entered subclip and other information, but that was gone.

That leads me to now believe that such information is stored in the XDCAM Transfer program's cache, and not with the clip? I guess I had the wrong impression. Bummer. And when the folder is removed from the list on the left side of the screen, and its files are removed from the cache, apparently that information is lost. Am I mistaken?

That leads me to Shotput. If it can make and retain clip information, that might make it a very handy investment. Anyone who's got more to share in that regard, I'd really appreciate it. And I'm going to go look for a demo to download.

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Graziano
on May 13, 2009 at 7:56:45 pm

Thanks for the input.

Paul,

When you mention the logging feature are you referring to the "name folders" section of the shotput window or is there another more robust logging feature like the log and transfer/capture in FCP?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
No......
on May 13, 2009 at 11:41:10 pm

It's worth more than $90.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Dave Gilmour
integration?
on Jun 2, 2009 at 2:07:42 pm

I am using ShotPut Pro V2.0 and a Primera Bravo XR Blu duplicator, and have all of the features working, EXCEPT I am having problems getting the disc to be printed as part of the process. The disc will sit in the printer for awhile, and then be placed in the "out" tray, with a blank face.

While I am at it, I was trying to use the drive in the Primera unit as an inport device - after an offload and a burn, I can't "log and transfer" into Final Cut - I get an error. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Aug 14, 2011 at 1:21:42 am

Well, in my opinion, the software is excellent. What turned me off about it, is that I wrote to Imagine Products Inc to ask if I could instal it on my second computer, as I do with FCP and Logic. The response was:
"Alex,

You may install it as many times as you wish, but it may only be active on one computer at a time.

To move the license, click Deactivate in the App menu ;just above Quit). This removes the computer's ID from our server allowing it to be activated elsewhere.

However, we don't recommend relying on moving the software frequently as the web connection may not be reliable, server down, etc. It's prudent to buy and install the correct number of copies and leave them be."

-The fact is that deactivating the license has caused problems after problems and wasted my entire afternoon, even with great internet connectivity. My advice is to NEVER deactivate it, unless you want to be out of that tool for indefinite time. Granted, this happened today, so not only am I disappointed (more like pissed-off) due to the loss of business that this will bring me, but it is also Saturday, so maybe I should be grateful that Imagine even responded today.
I wish they would just tell you straight NOT to deactivate it and instead BUY one license per computer. That message would be much clearer. I have been out of work flow for six hours, uninstalled, re-installed, removed all software files, tried again, nothing. And no follow up from Imagine either.
I hope they respond soon, or I will not be able to work during the night and deliver to the agreed deadline. :0) Or of course, I could also just buy it again, but I am afraid that their servers might "still be down".

Shotput is a great and valuable tool. But only one license/ one computer.

Alex Vargas
EX1/Elite/Nikon, Zeiss
Macpro 2.1, 3.0 dual quad, 8GB RAM
Macbookpro 15"
FCP 7+
Logic 9+

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:57:28 pm

We have had similar problems with deactivating because many times we have shoots in other states/countries and have to hire an outside person to ingest footage for us on rental computers. Sometimes they do not deactivate properly or poor internet connections have cause problems. Imagine Products has told us we have reached our limit on deactivations by them after 3 incidents. We don't want to have to purchase another $99 license every time this happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate software?

Thanks!
Hallie

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:58:28 pm

We have had similar problems with deactivating because many times we have shoots in other states/countries and have to hire an outside person to ingest footage for us on rental computers. Sometimes they do not deactivate properly or poor internet connections have cause problems. Imagine Products has told us we have reached our limit on deactivations by them after 3 incidents. We don't want to have to purchase another $99 license every time this happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate software?

Thanks!
Hallie

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Rob Rippe
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:56:08 pm

Hi ALL

ShotPut Pro sounded like a great product but restrictions and problems others have had with Imagine Products support killed the deal for me.

So looking for a (Mac OS) alternative, I realized I was already using a trusted, reliable copy utility that does checksum analysis.

Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich Software, Inc.

It is free to try. Shareware price starts at $15.00.
It has been around for 9 years.
I learned about it when I was in the apple line for the launch of the first iPhone. I was literally surrounded by a dozen or more Mac IT guys. Having hours to kill, I asked them all what the best backup utility was... they said Time capsule was iffy (at the time), but Carbon Copy Cloner was the one to trust.

That was many years ago but to this day it has always worked great on my regular backups and mountable clones. Here is a link to check it out:

http://www.bombich.com/

Hope the idea helps,
Rob

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:40:29 pm

I love CCC and use it all the time (a couple versions back, the latest incarnation UI is too much of a headache to try to wrap my mind around).

The problem is, CCC only works with Mac formated storage media, so FAT32 and others, which the majority of acquisition media (SD, SxS, CF, and P2) seem to be, are not compatible.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's been tried.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Rob Rippe
Re: Is ShotPut Pro worth it?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:08:24 pm

Thanks Graham but I'm not discouraged from finding a better solution.

It's a Copy Utility after all. That fancy GUI ain't worth the bending over!
(from the reviews of users, not reviewers I have read both here and elsewhere, Imagine Products’ Shotput Pro has an over obsession on license with little to no respect or support for their customer, no thanks!)

Maybe a talk with CCC could be a solution as it already is such a great product!

I did see two software update line items talking about FAT32 on the CCC website:

v. 3.4.4, February 7, 2012

CCC is more proactive about dealing with the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32 volumes. Files larger than 4GB will now be excluded by default, and you'll get a warning of this exclusion before running the task.

v. 3.4, July 20, 2011

Added support for backing up to and from non-HFS+ volumes. Specifically, you can back up the contents of FAT32 and NTFS volumes, as well as the contents of a network-attached volume (e.g. AFP, SMB). CCC will preserve as much filesystem metadata as possible, and will warn when incompatibilities exist between the source and destination filesystems. Please note that clones of NTFS volumes will not be bootable.

btw, thanks to everyone on the cow, the expertise has been a great help over the years.

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
Re: Is ShotPut Pro worth it?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:58:11 pm

Good to know about CCC supporting FAT32 and NTFS file systems. I'll have to give it a second look.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]