FORUMS: list search recent posts

what is a pro consumer camera?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
william primrose
what is a pro consumer camera?
on May 12, 2009 at 12:58:13 pm

So just what is a Pro consumer camera? In this day and age of tech production, I get this feeling this is a marketing word used by manufactures to sell more video cameras. Is a 8 mm and 16mm camera a pro consumer camera, as compared to a 35mm,

I don't consider my EX-3 a pro consumer camera, I consider it a great piece of technology that gets the job done that I want it to do. I guess we need to label them as something, yet..... and how many feature films have been shot on "pro consumer cameras? I can think of a few.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: what is a pro consumer camera?
on May 12, 2009 at 3:22:02 pm

You can call it what you like, I wouldn't consider the EX3 as anything other than a professional broadcast HD camera. Who is calling it prosumer?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 12, 2009 at 3:57:38 pm

[william primrose] "how many feature films have been shot on "pro consumer cameras? I can think of a few."

Me too. And it's more than just a few. Remember 28 Days Later? Shot with a bunch of Canon XL1s cameras. Full Frontal, but only a bit of the film was shot with the Canons. A lot of Panny DVX stuff is out there in the mainstream movies.

This is an excellent question. If 5 people respond to your prosumer question you're going to get 5 different answers because these days the definition of the term is becoming, well, less defined. Initially, the term "prosumer" was used to describe an aquisition device that hobbyists would buy when they decided to get serious. As far as video cameras go, back then anything hand held was considered either consumer or prosumer. Once you stepped up to the shoulder mount cameras you joined the ranks of the professional users. I'm not so sure that this is still the case. I certainly wouldn't call the Panasonic AG-HMC70U a professional camera even though it's made to sit on your shoulder. Sony also has an inexpensive HDV shoulder mount in the same class as the Panny. The new Panny HVX 300 certainly looks pro and it's got all the attributes of the big shoulder mounts such as 4 channel audio, etc. Except it's got 1/3" sensors like virtually all of the hand helds have. Does this make it a prosumer camera now or are we witnessing a new emerging class of camera?

I've noticed these days that the big dogs are referring to the EX cameras as prosumer because they're hand helds, but the serious hobbyists are calling them pro camcorders. The EX cameras look prosumer with their small size and plastic skins but what they shoot is definitely in the professional class.

Maybe we need to invent a new buzz word. Something catchy, short and easy to say. How 'bout "Pro-motion"? Nah. That's dumb.

- Don

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Clint Fleckenstein
on May 12, 2009 at 4:57:39 pm

That line is blurring, to be sure, based on the image quality delivered. One thing I will say, however, is that "prosumer" cameras can still be defined by price range based on one important factor: construction.

Coming from broadcast to a production company, I was distressed by the flimsy little connectors on prosumer gear. Lenses that aren't sealed as well as the pro gear, plastic parts that should be metal, and that sort of thing. That silly little A/V cable that plugs into the Sony EX's in perhaps the worst possible location? Ridiculous. But there's only so much real estate on a camera this size.

Day-to-day abuse such as can be expected with ENG duty, for example, will destroy an EX camera in a day or two. It ain't right, but it's the way a lot of people treat gear that isn't theirs. At least that's how my experience in broadcasting has been. I'm neurotic in the way I baby equipment that I use, but sadly there are a lot of people who are just plain careless.

The paradigm shift has come in that the "guts" of the cameras can be made smaller and more economically, producing fantastic results (as our EX cameras demonstrate), closing the price point between the two. So for me the term "prosumer" has always indicated more about the external qualities of a camera than the internal.

Cf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 12, 2009 at 5:06:51 pm

A prosumer camera is a camera were the manufacturer don't put all what they could put, because they have to let something for the people that pays 5 times more money for "Professional cameras".
Your EX_3 could be recording 422 at 100 Mbps just with tweaking a bit the processor.
But if there are people ready to pay three times more for XDCAM 422..

Another difference between Pro-consumer and Professional cameras is that the most cases of the Pro-consumer, the guy who pay and buy the camera is the guy who will use it.
The most part of the Professional cameras are bought and payed from an office.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Example of Pro-consumer?
on May 14, 2009 at 6:15:30 pm

The new PANASONIC AGH-PX 300.
1020x1080 with the new 10-bit 4:2:2 AVC-Intracodec.
10.000 US$ and why in the hell the put 1/3' CMOS?
Or the new JVC, why they didn't put 1/2' CMOS to those machines?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]