FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Failure: Sandisk 16Gb Class 4

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
Another Failure: Sandisk 16Gb Class 4
on May 10, 2009 at 9:04:03 pm

Just had a card fail right at the end of a shoot - everything all fine until suddenly, right in the middle of shooting 'Media needs to be restored' message appears. Wouldn't let me restore, so turned off then on. It allowed the restore but was not successful. Heart in mouth .......

Thankfully, card mounted on Mac, allowed copying of BPAV, but froze right at the end. Anyway, 37 out of 39 clips salvaged by extracting MP4 files individually. Also, they showed up on XDCAM Transfer. Even a clip that was corrupted at the end, I could salvage it all apart from the last 6 secs. Last clip lost altogether though. Somehow the formatting of the card has got corrupted as it freezes and de-mounts when you try to access clip 38 and 39.

Anyway, I kind if got away with it (again) this time. This is the 2nd time I've had a problem with these cards. (This was a different card from the last time).

So, do I start going down the Transcend 16Gb Class 6 route? - Have folk found these to be reliable?

The prospect of buying Sony SxS after all is looking a bit more attractive if these problems are going to persist.

Thanks for letting me share - Martin.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Another Failure: Sandisk 16Gb Class 4
on May 10, 2009 at 9:45:52 pm

Hello again, Martin

Well, what can I say: you pays your money and you takes your chances. Even Philip Bloom said that he would not use SDHC cards in a professional capacity because "it's just too risky." As I said in your previous thread I've never had a corrupted clip or lost one from a Sony SxS Pro memory card. So far! If you want to see the full interview where Philip talks about SDHC cards compared to SxS cards you can find it here:

http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technology/interviews/index.cfm?articleId=114...

The conversation about the EX cameras and the solid state memory options start at 07:45 minutes into the interview.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 11, 2009 at 2:16:58 am

I had the same experience two months ago with the Sandisk 16 Class 4.
you were lucky to be able to use the Transfer tool.
I had to go to a PC to recover the MP$ files.
Now I have 8 Sandisck 16 Class 4 for sale.
Of course I won't use them again.
I will try the Transcend as soon as I can. Nobody have reported any problem with them.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 11, 2009 at 2:20:30 am

I've also heard elsewhere that a Sandisk SxS card died on someone. Seems the internal controller failed. I think that's far more catastrophic myself.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 11, 2009 at 4:23:49 am

Agreed. No one, especially Sony or Sandisk want to hear about their own cards failing. And neither do I, but as they say, *stuff* happens. I've got a substantial amount of money tied up in genuine Sony SxS Pro cards now to support 2 cameras so I need them to be reliable. So far so good.

- Don

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
Re: Another Failure: Sandisk 16Gb Class 4 - Towel thrown in!
on May 11, 2009 at 1:01:29 pm

Hi there Don and thanks Rafael and Craig.

I think that Don (and Phil) are absolutely right - it all seems a bit risky for my liking. Weighing up the cost of worry alone (especially after 2 recent glitches), it's time to quit on these cards.

Have done the deed and got 2 Sony SxS 16Gb cards today.

Hmmm - what to do with 6 Sandisk 16Gb cards now .......!!

Martin.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 11, 2009 at 2:01:33 pm

Hmmm...

Just started with the EX1 myself. I have one roadtrip in with 4 16GB SDHC cards that I bought from MxM with the adapters...

I'm curious how many passes you think you might have had on the SDHC card that failed...

The prices have come down a bit on SxS, so I concur that they are getting more affordable, I'm just trying to get a feel for the probability involved.

I see a couple people who have indicated failures on this board, but I don't know what percentage that represents.

Just curious...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on May 11, 2009 at 4:12:39 pm

This was the second pass of the card (reformatted) - worked fine once. The other one with the glitch, this was it's first outing.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 11, 2009 at 5:34:18 pm

...so chances are that this card was probably on the edge of failure immediately.

Good to know. Thanks.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 12, 2009 at 4:21:41 am

Hi Tim,
I was working for one week with one of the SDHC before failing.
Everyday fill it and download it without problem.
The Seventh Day..died!!
The other card failed after only 20 minutes working.
I think that we are talking toooo much about the SanDisk 16GBs.
The Class 6 (disappeared) worked fine.
The Class 4 do not works.
SanDisk stopped making the class 6 as soon as they new how we were using the cards.
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 12, 2009 at 3:45:01 pm

Raphael,

I wasn't aware there was ever a Sandisk Class 6, 16gb card. Did you mean the Class 2?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 12, 2009 at 5:29:56 pm

Hi Chris,
Yes.
Some of the first test the people started to make few months ago (see here in this forum) were with the SanDisk 16GB Class 6.
All the reports were great.
But as soon as the voice was spreaded GUAUUUUU.
Was a matter of days for the SanDisk 16 GB Class 6 disappear
I ordered from (through) Amazon Class 6.
They (don't remember who) sent me Class 4.
Class 6: Gone with the wind.
I will get few Transcend 32 when I'll go to Spain.
I will check the COW before, in case..
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 12, 2009 at 7:07:01 pm

I believe you are thinking of the Transcend Class 6 cards. I looked way back and could not find any mention of a SanDisk Ultra II Class 6. They started as Class 4, then went to Class 2 (which I bought) and now I guess they are back to Class 4 again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 13, 2009 at 12:18:50 am

Sandisk Extreme III are Class 6.
Sandisk Ultra 2 were Class 2 and are now Class 4.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 13, 2009 at 12:39:23 am

Ah Ha!

Has anyone had trouble with the 16gb Class 2 cards?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 13, 2009 at 12:46:15 am

I've been using Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 2 exclusively since January and not one problem ever. Not even a media restore. I've done several records going over 2 hours straight (spanning the cards).

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 13, 2009 at 12:49:25 am

That's comforting. I've used mine once. No problems, but I did have one restore when I removed a card & replaced it.

Return to posts index

Pieter Dykema
on May 11, 2009 at 8:06:13 pm

Martin,

You asked if people found the Transcend 16Gb Class 6 cards to be reliable. In my case the answer is they have been dead letter perfect. I should say that I have only ~30 hours on them, but a fair fraction of that time has been spent under water. Not a lot of dust there but the dihydrogen oxide vapor isn't to be believed.

Best, Pieter

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 12, 2009 at 5:12:53 am

I have a dozen 16 gig Transcend SDHC class 6 cards and so does the production company I work mainly with and I would trust all 24 cards on any project. IMO there is no risk if you have properly tested each card and recorded to them a few times before use on a paid gig. If JVC can incorporate them into there XD Cam EX licensing thats good enough for me.

I one thing that will kill a card is removing it before the recording is finished, you Must wait until the red slot light turns green before removing it. I would bet that there is a small percentage of those with issues that have miss handled the card before it finished recording. The other thing is that it is well known that these SDHC cards need two attempts on initial formatting and some may dismiss them before they try a second attempt.

I'm sure the EX5 or 7 will up the bit rate to XD Cam HD 50 Mbps level before to long so we will be purchasing more SxS cards in the future. I will gladly purchase more when this happens.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on May 12, 2009 at 6:22:58 am

[Michael Palmer] "I have a dozen 16 gig Transcend SDHC class 6 cards and so does the production company I work mainly with and I would trust all 24 cards on any project. IMO there is no risk if you have properly tested each card and recorded to them a few times before use on a paid gig. If JVC can incorporate them into there XD Cam EX licensing thats good enough for me."

That is good news about the Transcend cards.

Yes, I've always been super-careful about removing cards / turning off before the red light has gone off The strange thing about the last failure is that the camera was actually recording at the time - it had gone for about 40 secs or so and then suddenly came up with the restore message. It hadn't received a jolt or anything. It was truly a gutting moment, I can tell you .....

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 12, 2009 at 2:46:40 pm

On the photography end, Hoodman has a guarantee no-failure on their cards. You'll have to read what this guarantee actually covers. I do know a lot of photographers prefer these cards. I haven't used their product before, but since they are now distributing the MxM adapters, it may be something to look into.

You may also want to consider an external hard disk recorder for a backup for added redundancy. More money I know, but better than giving money back to a client and damaging your professional credibility.

If your not run and gun, you may also try hooking up a laptop and use it as an additional recording media format.

Sony's SxS has dropped down close to $800 at B&H.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 21, 2009 at 3:24:52 pm

Please add your camera info to the link

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/865340

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>