FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY now shipping upgrade parts for EX3 plate

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dano motley
SONY now shipping upgrade parts for EX3 plate
on May 8, 2009 at 1:34:03 pm

Just received my stabilizer part for the bottom plate of the EX3. Its a small plastic piece which squares off the bottom of the the EX3 mounting area. I am told all of the newer EX3's have this.

Anyways..the part is free from SONY, you just pay shipping @ $3.00. You will need to call Sony direct for this. I called the one here in New Jersey (Bogota/Teaneck).

Here are the two part numbers you will need. One is for the small screws and one for the plastic plate. Very simgle to put on yourself.

screws: 308020351
plate: 413723501

Always,

Dano

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: SONY now shipping upgrade parts for EX3 plate
on May 8, 2009 at 3:49:20 pm

Is there a bulletin on this? I'm not sure if ours is new enough or not. I hadn't noticed any problems with the mounting. Is it tapered on the front of the camera?

Cf

Return to posts index

dano motley
on May 8, 2009 at 4:10:46 pm

if the camera is facing away from you, it would stop the right front of the mounting surface from curving and give you a rectangular base plate to mount the camera with.

Dano

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 8, 2009 at 4:20:41 pm

Dano,

I have 3-EX3 that were from the first shipments back last summer and we haven't had any issues with the base plate receivers.

I would suspect those that have had issues have been when they have picked up the camera by the camera handle while the tripod was still attached and these receivers just can't handle that load.

I'm very interested to this new improvement you have been on top of. It would be helpful to see some pictures posted here.

Thanks in advance
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 8, 2009 at 4:57:02 pm

[Michael Palmer] "t would be helpful to see some pictures posted here. "

Like these pictures?

I just found this stuff packaged with the rear lens cap for the stock Fuji lens. That little plastic piece at the top of the pictures looks like a cable stay of some sort but I haven't tried to figure out where it goes yet. The tripod piece is made of plastic and I guess it just fits on the bottom front as shown to make the front of the base flatter.

- Don

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 8, 2009 at 5:26:23 pm

Aha. That makes sense. I can see how the weight of a matte box and/or teleprompter could start to put some tweakage on the mount with the curve at the front of the camera. I went out to look at our EX-3 this morning and thought perhaps that would be the weak spot.

"I would suspect those that have had issues have been when they have picked up the camera by the camera handle while the tripod was still attached and these receivers just can't handle that load."

I caught one of our shooters doing that a couple of weeks ago, well AFTER I had spent the time a) explaining that EX-3 users were having issues, and b) fabricating an emergency repair plate for the bottom of our XL-2 after the threads were mysteriously stripped out of the camera! Oddly enough, nobody knew how or when that happened. Good thing my last name is so close to Frankenstein. The repair plate I made was so strong, I never sent the camera in for repair. Plus, I got to spend a couple hours of my workday at home, playing with tools and metal in my workshop!

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 8, 2009 at 6:01:41 pm

So the fix is a plastic shim?

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 8, 2009 at 6:17:52 pm

Perhaps it's "High-strength thermoplastic made from space-age polymers and resins™" or something.

and two screws.

Cf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 8, 2009 at 6:45:01 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "and two screws."

Three screws. In case you lose one down the drain or something. And the replacement screws are longer for the obvious reasons. But your 'plastic' description is bang on.

As Michael eluded to, it's basically a plastic shim that makes the front of the base the same height as the rest of it. Also don't forget that the upgrade kit you can order from Sony will also (supposedly) include the new receiver plate that has two threaded holes instead of just one. This would also add stability. I'm in the market for another tripod anyway, so I'll be looking for one that has a two screw tripod plate.

- Don

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on May 12, 2009 at 4:06:23 pm

I have not had any luck with Sony regarding this being FREE.
No one in Jersey knows about it.
Do you have a direct phone number?

Thanks,

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC

Return to posts index

dano motley
on May 12, 2009 at 5:14:16 pm

dont have the number with me but try information for sony electronics in park ridge, new jersey.

good luck,

dano

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on May 25, 2009 at 2:17:52 am

I have also called NJ direct two times now since NAB and they still do not know anything about it.

Ronnie Martin
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

dano motley
Re: SONY now shipping upgrade parts for EX3 plate...BETTER YET
on May 12, 2009 at 5:21:02 pm

better yet. here is the link to order directly from sony. just put in your seriel number...etc.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

always,

Dano

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on May 22, 2009 at 2:33:59 pm

Hi Dano.Sony Parts list cant find that number for the plate but found the screws.Are you sure that is the right numbers for the double screw plate.
MJ

Return to posts index

dano motley
on May 22, 2009 at 2:40:07 pm

yes. that is the one i used.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Gontako
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:38:25 pm

Please, I need to know the process of providing $3.00 in order to receive plate of sony ex3.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Gontako
on Dec 23, 2013 at 6:46:08 am

I need both i.e plastic plate & screw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]