FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with editing XDCAM footage in FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joelle Schon
Problem with editing XDCAM footage in FCP
on May 7, 2009 at 9:24:03 pm

I am attempting to edit my first project shot with a Sony PDW 700 camera. I downloaded the software and was successfully able to transfer the footage to an external hard drive. The footage appears as clips in the browser and I can play the clips in the viewer with no problem but when I try to move a clip into a sequence, it shows up unrendered. The media is fine because I sent some clips to another editor and he was able to work with it no problem. We were running identical versions of FCP (6.0.5) and Quicktime (7.6)and I used the identical setup. What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Problem with editing XDCAM footage in FCP
on May 7, 2009 at 9:34:21 pm

[Joelle Schon] "when I try to move a clip into a sequence, it shows up unrendered."

and when you try to move it in do you get a popup message to match your sequence settings to the source media. You should in FCP 6.0.5 if it doesn't match.

You should select the Easy Setup for the XDCAM HD422 at whatever you shot at with the camera (assuming you shot XDCAM HD422 mode).

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 8, 2009 at 6:36:48 pm

Yes, I get that dialogue box but it still shows up in the sequence with the red render line above it. I used the easy set up that matches exactly the media and I still get the same results. Maybe I haven't downloaded all the software I needed to? I downloaded XDCAM Transfer 2.9 and SxS Device Driver. Is there anything else I need?
Thank you for your advice.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2009 at 6:50:35 pm

In Final Cut Pro, look at a clips Item Properties in the browser and post what it says.

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 9, 2009 at 5:50:34 pm

Yes, I did that but I still get the red render line. I have noticed that the seqence preset switches to "XDCAM HD 1080i 60 VBR at 18-35 Mb/s" although the clips are "XDCAM 422 1080i 60 VBR 50 Mb/s." There is no exact match in the sequence presets that I can find. There is an "XDCAM HD422 1080i 60 CBR" but when I try that, I get the dialogue box again saying "For best results sequence and clip should match" and when I click OK, the sequence preset switches back to "XDCAM HD 1080i 60 VBR" again. Very frustrating! Could it have anything to do with the fact that I still have OS ver. 10.4.11? Or am using an iMac G5? Is there anyway to add sequence presets?

Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 9, 2009 at 10:02:06 pm

[Joelle Schon] ""XDCAM 422 1080i 60 VBR 50 Mb/s." "
Are you sure? Can you take a screen shot of FCP clip item Properties and upload a screen shot using the Image Upload icon (third from right in icon bar above your reply type window)?

[Joelle Schon] ""XDCAM HD422 1080i 60 CBR""

That's what it should be as far as I know. It's a XDCAM HD 422 50mbps is a CBR, not a VBR codec.

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 11, 2009 at 1:29:56 pm

Dear Craig:

Here are frame grabs of my Browser, easy setup and sequence preset. If I try to set them to CBR, I get the dialogue box again saying "For best results, sequence and clips must match etc." Hope this tells you something.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 11, 2009 at 3:59:23 pm

Sorry. I hadn't finished uploading the images. Here they are. Now I am no longer getting the dialogue box when everything is set to CBR but I still get the render line in the sequence. http://i1.creativecow.net/u/138095/sm/sequencepresetcopy.jpghttp://i1.creat...'>http://i1.creativecow.net/u/138095/sm/browser.jpghttp://i1.creativecow.net/u/138095/sm/sequencepresetcopy.jpghttp://i1.creat...

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 11, 2009 at 4:01:51 pm

I am going to do them 1 at a time.

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 11, 2009 at 4:04:54 pm

Return to posts index

Joelle Schon
on May 14, 2009 at 10:20:23 pm

Dear Craig:

Thanks for all your input. I finally re-installed FCP and the problem disappeared. It now works perfectly.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2009 at 10:32:52 pm

Good to hear. I've seen FCP do strange things like that before. I once had a huge number of my "Easy Setups" disappear. They were still there on the system. It's just that FCP stopped seeing them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]