FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer opens browser window in Final Cut Pro for every clip!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Zwicker
XDCAM Transfer opens browser window in Final Cut Pro for every clip!
on May 7, 2009 at 7:45:12 pm

I am sure it is a simple setting somewhere-but...
If I import a SxS card full of clips, Final Cut Pro goes nuts and opens a browser viewer window for every clip imported.
W.T.Hey?

Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmmm.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM Transfer opens browser window in Final Cut Pro for every clip!
on May 7, 2009 at 8:19:57 pm

XDCAM Transfer/Preferences/Import tab
uncheck "Open imported files with Final Cut Pro"

It drove me nuts too. I hate it.
I do all my clips and then, when I'm ready, I open FCP and import the clips or the folders I've assigned for transfers in XDCAM Transfer Preferences.

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on May 7, 2009 at 11:14:31 pm

Craig you are my hero!

Thank you for my sanity.

Paul

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on May 8, 2009 at 7:52:55 am

Yeah, the "Final Cut Pro" option for 'Open imported files with' is a bit of an odd one.

The right way to get your clips from XDCAM Transfer to FCP, is to go to FCP and choose File > Import > Sony XDCAM. That way, the imported clips drop silently into the FCP Browser, and don't open a new Viewer window for each one. Doing it this way, you also get the Comment/Log Note, which you won't if you just open the movie in FCP later.

If you choose to use XDCAM Transfer standalone and FCP later, like Craig described, you should go to XDCAM Transfer's Preferences > Import and check 'Write Final Cut Pro XML file' and import the XML file into FCP instead of the movie.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 8, 2009 at 5:06:34 pm

"The right way to get your clips from XDCAM Transfer to FCP, is to go to FCP and choose File > Import > Sony XDCAM. That way, the imported clips drop silently into the FCP Browser, and don't open a new Viewer window for each one. Doing it this way, you also get the Comment/Log Note, which you won't if you just open the movie in FCP later."

This hasn't worked for me. I just tried it again to hopefully minimize the possibility of looking like a fool :) I did, however, get the "Comment" field from XDCAM transfer to import to the "Log Note" column of the FCP bin by generating and importing an XML file from XDCAM transfer.

Looking at the Quicktime, I can see that the information from the "Comment" field of XDCAM transfer makes it to the "Description" field of the Quicktime movie file. That information never makes it into FCP, at least on my system. I even tried renaming a bin column "Description" to match, but no luck.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]