FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting Ex-1 to Mac Pro as external camera

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Morse
Connecting Ex-1 to Mac Pro as external camera
on May 5, 2009 at 7:02:12 pm

Hi all ...

Does anyone have any experience connecting the XDCAM EX-1 to a Mac Pro as an external camera for use in iChat, Skype, Quicktime Broadcaster, etc.? I tried the iLink port with some changed settings, but had no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

- max

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Connecting Ex-1 to Mac Pro as external camera
on May 5, 2009 at 7:43:25 pm

The EX in HDV mode (SP) and iLink has worked for me. I've done it with Telestream Wirecast (another COW forum you'll find my floating head) for live streaming.

Just to be clear, but the EX in HDV mode and the iLink port does send live video out for streaming. Your encoder has to be able to recognize HDV though. Wirecast does with an additional HDV plugin. I haven't tried HDV with the others you mention though.

I'm looking into doing this with HD-SDI also though.

Return to posts index

Max Morse
on May 5, 2009 at 7:48:15 pm

Thanks, Craig ...

I set the camera to SP 1080/24P. Where do you find the setting to switch the camera to HDV?

Thanks ...

mm

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 5, 2009 at 8:35:48 pm

SP mode is HDV

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Max Morse
on May 5, 2009 at 8:54:09 pm

Yeh, that's what I thought. The computer doesn't seem to recognize the camera, though. Any tips for getting the cpu to mount the cam???

Thanks again, everyone.

mm

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2009 at 9:59:45 pm

Do you have i.LINK I/O set to Enable in the Video Set menu? It would default to Disable so you'd have to enable it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2009 at 9:09:41 pm

LOL. Thanks for that.
I think we need a Sony to English dictionary.
SP is HDV
S&Q is Under/Overcrank.

Do the Sony manual writers work in this industry?

If Sony ever made a light kit they'd have
CP (for wood clothes pins) which we'd call C-47

Sony's naming conventions would give a marketing person a fit.
The have a tape format called Beta . . . so when is the release version coming out.
They now have still cameras called Alpha . . . so you're selling them this early in the design/testing process?
I'm waiting for the format called Release Candidate.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2009 at 8:54:29 pm

[Max Morse] "I set the camera to SP 1080/24P. Where do you find the setting to switch the camera to HDV? "

You're in the right place SP is HDV compatibility mode. That's 23.98 in 59.94 (24 with pulldown). That should work but just in case try changing it to SP 1080/60i.

I haven't tried this in any of the programs you mentioned so they may have issues with HDV compatible files (or at least the ones coming from the EX which uses PCM rather than MP audio unlike HDV).

You can download a free trial of Wirecast and test with that. At least you'll know whether it's a compatibility issue with the other programs vs Wirecast or maybe there's an issue with the iLink out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]