FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p24 to SD DVD workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Raizman
1080p24 to SD DVD workflow
on May 4, 2009 at 2:55:15 pm

I've got a project shot on my ex1 at 1080p24. The footage looks fantastic in fcp but I've been disappointed with the quality of the image when I compress it for sd dvd (with compressor).

I've seen some postings here that people get the best quality sd dvds when their original footage was shot at 720p30. It compresses better with fewer artifacts.

Is there a way to convert my 1080p24 footage to 720p30? Would the 720p30 look better when compressed for sd dvd?

Are there any other workflows that people have used with 1080p24 to get good mpeg2 compression for sd dvd?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: 1080p24 to SD DVD workflow
on May 5, 2009 at 10:22:15 am

In my (and many other) opinion BitVice is a far better tool for creating an M2V file than Compressor, particularly their latest versions 2.4 and 2.5. Their downscaler is the key, it's great.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 6, 2009 at 10:44:42 am

Dave,
The best quality and the faster process will be keeping in p24.
What you have to do is to set properly Compressor to do a good downscaling.
Set the Control frame ON.
Compressor will add the pulldown to the p.24
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on May 6, 2009 at 3:03:46 pm

I just took a look at Compressor and I see that by turning Frame Control to "on" I can now change the Resize Filter and Rate Conversion to "best". I don't see a setting for adding the pulldown. Will that happen automatically as a result of the setting changes I've made? Is there any advantage to adding the pulldown in fcp before compressing?

Do you have an opinion about the best format to shoot on an EX1 if the final output will be an SD dvd? I've seen some postings that 720p30 compresses better to mpeg2 than 1080p30 or especially 1080p24. I get it now that p24 introduces a lot of motion blur to the footage that doesn't compress well.

Are there hardware solutions that do a better job of compressing footage or downscaling and outputting to SD? I've been looking at mxo2 for example.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-223-7625

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 7, 2009 at 4:34:18 am

[Dave Raizman] " to "on" I can now change the Resize Filter and Rate Conversion to "best". I don't see a setting for adding the pulldown. Will that happen automatically as a result of the setting changes I've made?"
Will add it automatically because otherwise you couldn't watch 24 stuff in ant NTSC screen.

[Dave Raizman] "Do you have an opinion about the best format to shoot on an EX1 if the final output will be an SD dvd? I've seen some postings that 720p30 compresses better to mpeg2 than 1080p30 or especially 1080p24. I get it now that p24 introduces a lot of motion blur to the footage that doesn't compress well. "
720 will always be easier and faster to compress.
If you see too much motion blur in p24, try rising the Shutter speed when filming.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]