16 gb 32 gb Transcend Flash Cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Ward
16 gb 32 gb Transcend Flash Cards
on May 4, 2009 at 1:28:32 am

Will the Transcend Cards 16 or 32 gb work with
the sony pmw ex1?

They usually take the sxs pro cards. Will these flash cards work?

Good news or bad news?????

I don't want to pay 890 when I coulf pay 180.

Please ghet back anyone with explicit advice for sony
pmw ex1 memory card options.

Mike

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 16 gb 32 gb Transcend Flash Cards
on May 4, 2009 at 1:37:10 am

[Michael Ward] "Will the Transcend Cards 16 or 32 gb work with
the sony pmw ex1? "

Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 6 cards are widely used with EX with MxR, MxM, Hoodman adaptors. I've heard recently that the Transcend 32GB cards work also.

They don't overcrank very well but all EX standard shooting settings work just fine.

I'm using 2 Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 2 cards with MxR and they work fine. Nearly 4 hours straight through recording. I'm hearing that the newer Sandisk Class 4 cards don't work. Transcend seems to be a safe bet these days.

[Michael Ward] "I don't want to pay 890 when I coulf pay 180. "
Even $180 is kinda steep. It's under $50 for the adaptor and under $40 for 16GB Transcend and around $115 for 32GB. I've seen them as low as $35 and $105 respectively recently.

Return to posts index

Manny Kivowitz
on May 7, 2009 at 4:08:48 pm

I bought 2 14.99 Roswell adapters from Newegg that works great with the 2 16gb transcend SDHC cards I bought. Gonna buy more for sure. Haven't tried over/under cranking with them yet.

Manny Kivowitz
KSK:STUDIOS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 7, 2009 at 4:21:42 pm

These?
Roswell Express card reader
Do provide links because if there's another model floating around out there someone could make a mistake.

Does the door close on your EX?

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on May 8, 2009 at 4:34:59 am

I have not tried the Rosewell adapter but the cheapest I found that works well is the AFT PROExpress-7 ExpressCard Reader.

Currently $25 at newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839176001

I have the Australian e-Film version which works fine, but it cost me almost $70 with shipping and a separate handling fee. The AFT set me back average about $28 each when I bought 7 of them. Works with Sandisk 16gig class 4, Transcend 32gig class 6 and Sony 16gig memorystick pro duo Mark2 in adapter - long test recordings. Takes a couple of seconds or more for the red access light to go and become available to record again when you stop, and of course no overcrank.

The Sony MSAC-EX1 Memory Stick Duo ExpressCard adapter, suggested here:
http://digitalcontentproducer.com/cameras/revfeat/sony_pmwex_1001/index2.ht... does NOT work.

Among the seven AFT readers I bought one was defective, so getting a replacement, but all others are working. I hope this card doesn't disappear from the market the way the KxS and others did! This is my 'AxS' card. The Sandisk 16gigs were $40, so for less than $70 I have a replacement for the $750 original. I saved about $6000 with these replacements. I can always overcrank with the original. The door closes on both EX1 and Ex3 with the AFT adapter.

Suddenly the Sony 32gig SxS is only $869 at http://www.taperesources.com/SxS_MEMORY_CARDS.html . It was $1500 three weeks ago.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on May 14, 2009 at 2:57:22 am

I got the Rosewill RC-610 adapter from newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839200012
and it works with Sandisk SDHC 16gb calss 4, preliminary test. The door closes on EX3 but won't close on EX1 because the card sticks out unlike the AFT adapter (link in my earlier post). Also the Rosewill does not have spring load mechanism.
Still the best choice I found is the AFT at about $28 a piece with shipping. The Rosewill is $20 incl shipping.
Next in the line of experiments would be an ExpressCard SSD ;)
-BC

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on May 20, 2009 at 6:01:41 am

Today I tried a Microcenter-brand 16G SDHC Class 6 card in the AFT adapter and recorded until it filled up. No error. The Microcenter card is only $30. The SxS solution is becoming cheaper by the day! Just hoping that these things will be reliable in real use.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 20, 2009 at 7:07:35 am

[Bala Chandran] "Today I tried a Microcenter-brand 16G SDHC Class 6 card in the AFT adapter and recorded until it filled up. No error."

Elsewhere there had been reports that Kingston Class 6 cards ranged from faster than any other to failing.

One has to test several cards from different sources before one gets close to definitive but at least one reported success may result in others testing and confirming. You should post your source as well.

Try doing an overcrank test starting at 720p24/40 for two or tree minutes at a time and then going up another frame per second for another test. The frame rate where it fails is a good indicator of the card's headroom. The beset Kingston cards I think were 720p24/48 or maybe even up to 50 . . . and others failed during a normal HQ record.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on May 27, 2009 at 3:41:52 am

Microcenter-brand 16G SDHC Class 6 card
720 24p overcrank maximum without error is 33/24. 35/24 gave error after 2:15 minutes.
720 30p error free upto 41/30.

Microcenter 16G SDHC is a Microcenter/Powerspec brand available here:
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0304661

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]