FORUMS: list search recent posts

cannot log in footage!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
margarita kouvatsou
cannot log in footage!
on May 2, 2009 at 10:15:23 pm

dear all,
i filmed some footage with the sony pmw-ex1, and downloaded the pluggins necessary but i do not seem to see the list of footage in the xdcam transfer window...as a result i cannot transfer the footage in my mac pro....what should i do...:(
many many thanxs in advance
margarita

thanxs is advance!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: cannot log in footage!
on May 2, 2009 at 10:53:59 pm

I see from your previous posts (from your profile) that you're using Final Cut Pro, yes?

You need the following minimum software requirements to view and edit footage on your Mac Pro using Final Cut Pro:

• Mac OS v.10.4.11 or better
  • Final Cut Pro v.6.0.2 or better
  • Quicktime v.7.3.1 or better
  • Sony Transfer Tool - any Mac version
  • Sony FAM driver - any Mac version

You can use Sony's clip Browser software on your Intel Mac to view the native EX .mp4 files without the need to transcode to the Quicktime .mov format for editing in Final Cut Pro. There is also other viewer software available. Also be advised that the XDCAM codecs specific to the EX reside with Final Cut Pro and not with Apple's Quicktime software. If you don't have FCP v.6.0.2 or better you're out of luck if you want to edit with that program. In addition, without FCP v.6.0.2 you will not be able to see your EX clips within the Sony Transfer Tool window. You must upgrade.

- Don

Return to posts index

margarita kouvatsou
on May 2, 2009 at 11:21:52 pm

dear don ,
thank you very much 4your e-mail
these are my system requirements:

osx 10.5.6
Final Cut Pro v.6.0.5
Quicktime v.7.6
# Sony Transfer Tool - any Mac version
# Sony FAM driver - any Mac version
from what it looks like so far i have everything i need to be able to read the footage, nonetheless when i launch the transfer programe, (either on its own or through fcp) i get an empty window (it cannot detect any clips)
i have tried to connect the camera with both the firewire (ilink) and usb cables with no sucess,
i am also supposed to get a message from the camera saying that its connected through a usb post to a comp...but i am not getting that either.....
any ideas....this is confusing me...terribly :(
thanxs again!

thanxs is advance!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 2, 2009 at 11:49:06 pm

[margarita kouvatsou] "i have tried to connect the camera with both the firewire (ilink) and usb cables with no sucess,"

The firewire is for HDV shooting mode only and to connect to another HDV camera or compatible HDV deck. The firewire connection is not for transferring clips to your Mac Pro. USB is your only option or you can pull the SxS Pro cards and use an Express card reader connected to your Mac Pro.

[margarita kouvatsou] "i am also supposed to get a message from the camera saying that its connected through a usb post to a comp...but i am not getting that either..... "

Correct. Your camera will know that it's connected to a computer and will ask in the viewfinder if you wish to complete the connection. If you're not getting the camera prompting you to connect then it doesn't know that it's attached to anything. Herein lies your problem. Perhaps the FAM driver is not installed or if it is the computer doesn't know about it. Try re-installing the Sony FAM driver from your EX installation disk. If the FAM driver is working then the SxS Pro memory card that's in the camera should will show up on the desktop like any attached device (like a hard drive). The card icon will be named "Untitled." if you haven't already named the card. If you have 2 cards in the camera they will both show up on the desktop.

But in order for the SxS card(s) to appear the camera first has to know it's connected to something (your Mac) and right now that's not happening.

- Don

Return to posts index

margarita kouvatsou
on May 3, 2009 at 7:22:58 am

it looks right now as if the usb camera port is not working.i can get no communication between the 2. Will try and log the footage in with the help of a card reader in a macbookpro.

thanxs is advance!

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 7:22:14 pm

Hi Don,
I just finished installing all of the updates to bring FCP 6.0.1 up to 6.0.6. I am sitting here with FCP/Log & Transfer open and wondering what my next move should be. I rented the SONY SXS USB Reader/Writer when I rented the EX1. Does this change any required next steps? I also enabled the safety lock on the memory stick to protect my video data. May I keep the lock on since I am only reading from the stick and importing to my MAC. Sorry for all the rookie questions. You are a huge help. Thank you for dividing your time on my behalf.
Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 7:40:25 pm

[Jared Cicon] " I also enabled the safety lock on the memory stick to protect my video data. May I keep the lock on since I am only reading from the stick and importing to my MAC. "

Yes.

[Jared Cicon] " I am sitting here with FCP/Log & Transfer open and wondering what my next move should be."

I was trying to find one of my earlier posts that explained basic workflow but I'm not having much luck. So......

If you want to import and convert right from the card media you have to use the camera to do it. Connect the camera via USB first then turn it on. Look in the camera's viewfinder and wait for the prompt to execute/ complete the connection to the Mac via USB. Once that's done then your SXS Pro card(s) will show up on the desktop as attached devices. Get that done first then post back.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:14:26 pm

Hey Don,
I feel like I am the only passenger on an international flight and the stewardess just announced the pilot has passed out and they need me to land the plane. The only guidance I will receive is from air traffic controller Don. {;-]).

I am now in the cockpit sweating bullets..........

I did as you directed and I see the 'Untitled' drive on my desktop.

Jared

p.s. Sorry I took so long to get back. I just stepped back in from filling the drinking water bottles for the family of six.

Return to posts index

white yufeng
on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:05:16 am

If you can't log files, you'd better convert videos to ProRes. FCP is designed to edit ProRes .mov format.

The link will give you a hand.

http://mxf-to-fcp.blogspot.com/2013/02/convert-mxf-to-prores-make-sony-pmw....

-----------------------------------------------

Camcorder Video Tips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]