FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Reynolds
What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K
on May 1, 2009 at 6:37:41 pm

Was wondering if any of the pro's here in this forum care to share what Professional Video camera they use and why they like it? What are some of the pro's and con's to them? And what they would rate from top to bottom the 4 big companies Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic in terms of overall quality, reliability and price vs. features worth?

I'm always concerned about which video camera is actually worth it in terms of performance and ability. There is always some sort of drawback to these cameras. One thing I'm noticing is that on the video card capture features I always see this "The clips are QT.mov format using the XDCAM EX codec and drop right into FCP without any transcoding or rendering". What gives with this? Why is it like this? I use both PC and MAC and would like to be able to not have to go the extra step in transcoding for Premiere Pro on a PC. Why are they making cameras that do this. More people use PC than a MAC.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K
on May 1, 2009 at 6:46:12 pm

Cross-posted to the Canon, Panasonic and JVC forums.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 7:00:40 pm

[Don Greening] "Cross-posted to the Canon, Panasonic and JVC forums.

- Don"

Does this mean we should spam the other forums on why the EX is superior?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 1, 2009 at 7:07:27 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Does this mean we should spam the other forums on why the EX is superior? "

I guess we could, but.......you and I both know we're above all that. Aren't we......

To Mr. Reynolds:

Apple Computer with Final Cut Pro was first out of the gate with XDCAM EX support, beating all other NLE manufacturers by several months. In fact, I had complete software support in place several weeks before the first EX1 was even delivered. So did a lot of other FCP users. This is the answer to your question as to why the others are still playing catch-up. I guess they didn't think the EX cameras would become popular. It's not such a big deal now. Just about all NLE's support the XDCAM EX workflow in some way or another.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 7:19:16 pm

and I'd add that with CalibratedSoftware plugin Macs without FCP and Windows NLEs can also use EX .MOV files.

With CalibratedSoftware FCP can handle EX MP4 that some NLE's like PremierePro CS4 handles too.

Sony EX records MP4 and one can use plugin or rewrap to MOV
JVC HM EX records to MOV (sans SxS adaptor) and can be used with aforementioned plugin in non FCP systems.

There's a plethora of stuff for those who need MXF.

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 7:23:40 pm

I know it can be done......my point was having to go that extra step on converting the original file that the camera makes before being able to edit in Premiere Pro...Sony Vegas etc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 7:28:22 pm

[John Reynolds] "I know it can be done......my point was having to go that extra step on converting the original file that the camera makes before being able to edit in Premiere Pro...Sony Vegas etc."

EX MP4 works in PP CS4
With plugin it'll work in FCP

I'd expect Sony's Vegas will support Sony EX MP4 at some point soon if it doesn't yet.

It sounds like you haven't done any research at all. If you're unsure of something ASK QUESTIONS rather than making uninformed claims.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 4, 2009 at 3:29:56 pm

Premiere Pro supports the EX MP4 files natively...no conversion is necessary. I do it all day long.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 7:20:31 pm

Yes...understood. I use the Sony EX1 and love it for the MAC but wish I could use it the same way with my PC in Premiere Pro when switching to that NLE program. Now I'm looking to another Video Camera because I hate the ergonomics of the camera when shooting handheld.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 7:25:35 pm

[John Reynolds] "Yes...understood. I use the Sony EX1 and love it for the MAC but wish I could use it the same way with my PC in Premiere Pro when switching to that NLE program. "

Huh!!? Premiere Pro CS4 supports MP4 directly on both Mac and Windows.

[John Reynolds] "Now I'm looking to another Video Camera because I hate the ergonomics of the camera when shooting handheld."
Get EX1 compatible shoulder mount
Get EX3 (and you may still want a shoulder mount)
Get JVC HM 700 (knowing it has pluses and minuses over the EX).

At least you've asked two direct questions which can be answered with specific options.

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 7:16:15 pm

Sorry guys if I did anything wrong. Wasn't meant to be spam. I didn't consider it to be spam. I just wanted to make sure all 4 related forums got to respond to this with equal time. I couldn't find the right general forum section with which to get this point across and have the most responses.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 7:07:58 pm

How about asking each forum why they chose their camera over the others?
You'll get a biased answer in every forum but at least you'll learn WHY people made their choices.
Then you'll get to figure out which is important to YOU because OBVIOUSLY given the forums each camera brand or type is preferred by some people over the others at least to the extent to keep all the aforementioned manufacturers in business.

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 7:46:34 pm

Good Answer!

But...You'll get a biased answer? Not necessarly. But I'd like to hear from all no matter. Like you said Craig...I'll get all answers and be able to figure out why. That's all I need. Thanks for your input.

John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 7:14:32 pm

[John Reynolds] "Was wondering if any of the pro's here in this forum care to share what Professional Video camera they use and why they like it?"
We're all using the Fisher Price PixelVision of course!

[John Reynolds] "And what they would rate from top to bottom the 4 big companies Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic in terms of overall quality, reliability and price vs. features worth? "
I prefer Garibaldi's Pizza but some like Domino's and other's like Pizza Hut.
They're all Pizza but they all target different markets certainly with crossover.

[John Reynolds] "I'm always concerned about which video camera is actually worth it in terms of performance and ability. There is always some sort of drawback to these cameras."
Key is not to use a hammer for a screwdriver. A Leatherman can cover a lot of ground but some screwdrivers are designed to be good at certain things.

[John Reynolds] "One thing I'm noticing is that on the video card capture features I always see this "The clips are QT.mov format using the XDCAM EX codec and drop right into FCP without any transcoding or rendering". What gives with this? Why is it like this?"
Because there's a market for it given the market share FCP has.

[John Reynolds] "I use both PC and MAC and would like to be able to not have to go the extra step in transcoding for Premiere Pro on a PC. Why are they making cameras that do this. More people use PC than a MAC."
More people drive Toyotas than Caterpillar tractors but I'd bet Caterpillar's are used more frequently when building office buildings.

Maybe before asking questions like this you should take a basic business class in Market Research.

Do you have a clue what the market shows in Mac OS vs Windows OS in the Post Production environment? Do you have a clue about the availability and compatibility resources for MP4 vs MXF vs MOV or any other wrapper?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on May 1, 2009 at 7:42:59 pm

Interesting discussion, but somewhat circular in logic as main factor is price. The fact is that all the manufacturers dole out the feature set in portions which when you add all the stuff you want adds up to their top of the line product.

The main problem (as a long time film and video pro) I have with this class of prosumer products is that they are plastic fantastic, not built to last, nor should they be, because they are in fact built with planned obsolescence.

The cheapest camera that I consider worthy (although I do own, use and rent HVX200 successfully, meaning I've made money with it) is the Sony PDW F3330/335/350/355 for the reasons that the camera itself is robust, made to use and last in a professional arena (namely everyday broadcast use like at a local news station) and especially because of the XDCAM disc media, which I feel is worthy because of its fair/low price, robustness (we've all hear of the dishwasher stories) and archival (supposed to last 50 years). In addition the PDW-U1 reader at under $3000 replaces expensive VTR's and the proxy video concept is really cool too.

Of course there are drawbacks, as there are to any compromised (by price) scenario; namely the dumbed down 1920 to 1440 horizontal rez, the long GOP recording, the 1/2" imager vs a 2/3" imager (but still the biggest in the class) and the temptation to use cheap SD glass instead of HD glass.

Just by way of disclosure, I do now sell cameras from a shop in SF in addition to my work as a cameraman and lighting director in LA, where we sell both Sony and JVC, but I try to be honest and realistic with my customers, most of whom are network level news shooters who use this class of camera as an adjunct to their bigger Varicams, HVX900s, Cine Altas and now PDW700's, but more and more I'm being exposed to folks who want to spend 10-12K for a camera and obviously I'd like to accommodate them. I can tell you it's a lot more work/effort/discussion selling to prosumers than to pros who more or less know what they want, but price is what drives the decisions on all levels; at least the pros subscribe to the logic that the more it costs the more it makes.

If you realistically have a plan to recoup your investment then you should buy the best camera you can (afford). I think we've arrived at a place where even though a particular camera or format may become obsolete, one can continue to make money for many years if you have a dedicated and loyal clientele and your productions are driven by quality and creativity. In the end, other than the rather nebulous concept of "broadcast quality" which still rules in some circles, most end users of your media will not care what camera you use, beyond the product being interesting, informative and entertaining.

However if you want to buy any Sony or JVC products feel free to contact me off list for some smokin' prices (of course other than EX1/3 which Sony controls the discount and all dealers are forced to sell at the same price).

John at Sharaf dot Net

JS

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 8:01:54 pm

PERFECT ANSWER TO MY QUESTION! Thank you so very much JOHN. I like to stay in contact with you as I am looking very soon to upgrading to higher end equipment. I'd like to see what you have to offer in equipment and cameras. The work is coming and I am currently working with partners and investors.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 8:08:23 pm

In my own near 30 year observation (working in this industry) I think since cameras began to compete against/replace BetaSP (and DigiBeta) such as XDCAM and then P2, camera life cycles seem to be getting shorter and workflows are in more flux.

I think this has resulted in some "nervousness" on the expenditure side of things so if one can get a $8-$12K kit that has a life span of 2 to 3 years they can keep going as they wait to see how things progress/shake out. There's also greater demands/need for small mobile, possibly "throw away" cameras for shooting in some environs. It also means there's a growing "B-camera" market that can come close to matching their more robust bigger siblings.

This is why the EX made some important break throughs despite necessary compromises.
Smallest 1/2" chip camera (but CMOS)
Fast ingest for ENG work (although no archived disc recording)
Small size making it easier for travel and lower profile good for some challenging shoots.
Shooting modes such as overcrank and interval recording normally found in more expensive cameras.
Faster ROI given the potential shorter life cycle compared to bigger cameras.
Low investment when B- camera or volume camera purchase is needed.

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 8:21:19 pm

Don and Craig and John.....Thanks so much for your taking the time and giving me your input and wisdom on your experiences working with these cameras and what is going on today in the marketplace. Why these under 12K cameras are basically built to only last a short period of time. I want what I can't afford at this point in time so I just wanted to get as much info as I could in making ANY decision as to what to do next. You gave some great answers. I thank you.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 8:45:31 pm

[John Reynolds] "Why these under 12K cameras are basically built to only last a short period of time."

There's a bunch of reasons so I mention some and maybe John and Don can mention others as the thoughts pop up.

Some parts of the technology are changing very fast so it's often easier for the manufacture to introduce some types of changes on this end of the price market. The manufacturer can introduce new features or complete changes more quickly.

For example: Sony introduced 1/2" CMOS and SxS. They can advance or replace them quickly. It's a bit tougher to do that on $50K cameras who are investing in a longer life cycle. Sony can advance CMOS or SxS up the product line if they so choose depending on the way the market and technology changes.

SxS might be supplemented or even replaced by SDHC in the future. If SDHC shows itself to be as inexpensive, reliable, archivable as XDCAM Disc it might move up in the camera line (I'm not saying any of this will happen but showing what part of the market a manufacture can take risks in).

CMOS vs CCD may take a different direction though. CMOS has lower power and heat but there's rolling shutter. On the other hand RED (and now other cameras) use CMOS. Sony can see what plays now in the market and see what technological implementations they can make quickly if need be.

There's MP4 (which can be used as is, wrapped to MOV or MXF). They couldn't have tried that with people who have 6 and 7 figure amounts invested in MXF workflows.

Basically this end of the market, for Sony at least, is a sort of "proving ground" given them room to develop or change directions.

Think of the number of people who bought HDV 3 years ago now willing to move to XDCAM EX. Would that happen with people who bought F350s? Look at how worked up some 700 owners are over the appearance of the 800.

It's much easier to get a ROI on $8-$12K in two or three years and move to something new. That "new" can be the next technological advancement in that price market or on to a more expensive investment if your business grows. As you spend more money on Camera (and ENTIRE workflow) you need more time for that ROI and manufactures need to be sure new products (features, etc) can endure for longer periods.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 4, 2009 at 3:37:42 pm

Just to add to John's post, robustness in the structural components is definitely a factor to consider. For me, the EX1 can be put into the overhead compartment of a Canadair Regional Jet...which is what about half of my recent flights have been on. I can squeeze it into a Kata CC-191 (it's tight) and it fits in the Snoopy-lunchbox-sized overheads on these commuter jets. Saves me serious dough on checking a baggage-handler proof pelican or thermodyne case when I have to check other gear as well.

I've only used the camera a couple times, and it is certainly made from plastic...but it's a half inch sensor, 1920x1080 camera (35 Mbits HQ) for under $7K. I don't think the HPX 3000s have anything to worry about, but this little EX1 has impressed me with it's image quality and light sensitivity.

My .02

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 1, 2009 at 7:54:54 pm

[John Reynolds] "I use both PC and MAC and would like to be able to not have to go the extra step in transcoding for Premiere Pro on a PC."

Actually, several months ago I plugged my EX1 into a buddy's Windows machine with the last version of Premiere Pro CS3 (with the latest update installed) and he was able to drag the files directly into his bins without any transcoding at all and was able to edit the EX1 .mp4's natively. Who knew. The fact that I had shot in HDV mode might have had something to do with it, but the fact that we were able to edit the files in Premiere Pro at all back then........and instantly, was a surprise.

- Don

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 1, 2009 at 8:06:07 pm

Hummm...interesting. I wasn't able to get Premiere Pro CS3 to read mine. I think what I remember doing was using the XDCAM EX ClipBrowser V2.0 to transocde the video for me. I haven't done it in a while so I forgot what I did. I just wound up staying on a MAC.

Return to posts index

Eric Addison
on May 2, 2009 at 6:50:13 am

John,

Make sure you have the PPro CS3 3.2 update - that should allow you to have native XDCAM support. Just import in the folders from the SxS cards and your editing - no transcoding, re-wrapping, or anything like that.

I've got PPro CS4 on my laptop and I did a shoot with the EX1. While on location, we could pull the cards from the cameras and look at clips from the card on the laptop in PPro, and even edit quick sequences to make sure footage matched and would cut later. In my opinion, PPro has the best XDCAM EX workflow...as for the EX cameras - great cameras.

---Eric

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 2, 2009 at 1:02:08 pm

Thanks Eric,

Your right. After going back and trying it again it worked. Didn't realize the update fixed that problem. Thank you so very much. Do you have any experience working with the Sony EX-3? If so any comments on any of the improvements they made on it? Or drawbacks? Is it ergonomically any better than the EX-1?

John

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on May 2, 2009 at 1:39:41 pm

Having the right camera is only half of the game. Tiffen has some great filters you might want to try out. When shooting interviews, the use of cucaloris's, colored gels, etc. can enhance the scene. The correct angle and intensity of the main light, back light, background light, fill light, etc. And don't forget a good tripod. There is so much more involved in getting a good image other than a good camera. Well, Craig will hopefully weigh in on this.

I have found that many young people getting into the video business these days do not have the patience to learn the business from the ground up . . . OJT (on the job training) was a 'must' in the old days of film. But buying an expensive video camera and getting the right exposure makes one just another cameraman in my opinion. There is so much drab & boring camera work out there . . .

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 2, 2009 at 3:28:42 pm

Hey Guys...I really appreciate your comments on my post but I think we have gotten off the main path to my question. I don't see any relevance at all to this answer on my question What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2009 at 3:35:38 pm

[John Reynolds] "What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K?"

There is no "best."
each have advantages and disadvantages and, at times, the very same feature can be either/or depending on the circumstance.

Personally I think you asked the question the wrong way which I alluded to before.

If you went to each forum and asked why they chose their camera over others in that price range you'd get a good compiled list.

Maybe it's because the area I work in as a shooter (and editor) is as a video journalist, I think what question one asks is mission critical to getting the story.

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on May 2, 2009 at 5:25:13 pm

OK, this is the camera I am recommending to you. I saw it at NAB, and it is the best bang for the buck that I have seen to date . . . and you'll be getting the very latest camera that JVC has to offer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606888-REG/JVC_GY_HM700L17_GY_HM700L1...

It is true 1080p

True, it has 1/3" chips instead of 12" like the Sony EX-3, but the image I saw at NAB was excellent. If you are shooting outdoors or a lit set, this would look as good as the EX-3. The EX-3 might be better in available light conditions, if those conditions were very low light.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2009 at 5:53:25 pm

But there other differences I'm still finding out about in addition to chip size and still some questions I haven't seen direct comparisons for.

HM700 has no interval recording (no time lapse mode).

Overcrank maxes at 720p24/48 compared p24/60 for EX

Overcrank does NOT record at higher data rate. It records at 35mbps. In other words. HM 720p24/48 records at 35mbps and would play at 17.5mbps. EX 720p24/48 records at 70mbps and plays at 35mbps.
A friend with HM did a record test and found the card filled at the same rate overcrank or not. With EX if you're at double frame rate the card will fill twice as fast.

There is certainly much to like about the HM but I thought I'd make the above clear.

HM has balanced shoulder mount

Records 24/48 or 30/60 to SDHC (but at lower data rate than EX)

I believe it has a movable "spot meter" (EX is always center)

_______

[Brian Barkley] "True, it has 1/3" chips instead of 12" like the Sony EX-3"
To me this is a BIG deal. I want the Depth of Field control. To me that's an important part of "film look" and Story telling (focusing the viewer).

[Brian Barkley] "It is true 1080p "
Can you point to pixel size of sensor. EX is 1920x1080. I don't believe the HM has 1920x1080 sensors but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Also I'd love to see a low light comparison. 1/2" chips tend to have much better light sensitivity due to the basic physics involved.

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 2, 2009 at 6:55:20 pm

Brian...Yes I was looking at that model. Thanks for sharing. I do a lot of concerts in low light so I will take that into consideration.

John

Return to posts index

Eric Addison
on May 2, 2009 at 6:03:30 pm

The camera that fits your price range that I'm most excited about is the new Panasonic HPX-300. So much to love about the camera. Yes, it has a 1/3" chip, but the images look great (that I've seen). And it does AVC-Intra.

And with Panasonic releasing the P2 E cards, the media to record to is now going to be much more affordable.

I think, John, that it all depends on your workflow and preferences. You need to really go out and shoot with the cameras you're interested in, and then work with the footage in post to see what you like. Every camera (like every NLE) has it's strong points and it's weak points.

---Eric

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2009 at 7:03:37 pm

Eric, where's your sales pitch.

Here's my thoughts from what I've read about the camera
1/3" that's a minus compared to 1/2"
3MOS seems to Panasonic speak for CMOS. That's a minus compared to CCD
I'd think a choice between 1/2 CMOS and 1/3 CCD stronger options.

AVC-Intra - that's a plus. A great I frame codec easier to decode than GOP

P2-E less expensive than P2 but still way more expensive than SDHC which I can archive or hand a master to a client after a shoot. P2-E a minus but less of a minus than P2. Record time vs card cost is a toss up since it's the price you pay for Intra vs GOP.

Apparently 1080p24 is with pull down (standard or advanced). That's a minus IMHO compared to 24p native . . . which the camera apparently does in 720p24

3 second pre-record in HD. That's a plus. JVC does that but Sony EX does not.

Full Size shoulder mount - that a plus for many shooters.

BTW shooting with the camera is always good but often not possible for some without finding a rental house or a really good VAR that has all competitive models. Also feature awareness is critical.

While I see 20 step interval recording from 12fps to 60fps I don't see any mention of interval recording.

Return to posts index

Eric Addison
on May 2, 2009 at 7:21:33 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Eric, where's your sales pitch."

When Panasonic pays me, I'll give more of a sales pitch. Until then, it's just my two cents...

---Eric

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 2, 2009 at 6:59:02 pm

Thanks Eric....really appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 2, 2009 at 3:15:19 am

[Don Greening] "Actually, several months ago I plugged my EX1 into a buddy's Windows machine with the last version of Premiere Pro CS3 (with the latest update installed) and he was able to drag the files directly into his bins without any transcoding at all and was able to edit the EX1 .mp4's natively"
I went to a friend PC to recover the .mp4 from my dead SDHD cards, and amazingly the .mp4 played in his Window media Player.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on May 3, 2009 at 8:55:55 pm

The best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K are: SONY, PANASONIC, JVC and CANON. They are all good and they all have pros and cons.

Return to posts index

Carl Battreall
on May 7, 2009 at 9:59:31 pm

The Sony ex1 and ex3 are some of the only cameras under 10K that are "approved" for broadcast by many "big" networks. That speaks for itself.

But the industry is about to change, just like the still photography world did a few years ago. The prices of video cameras are so inflated it's disgusting, and they know it, Red Cinema has proven this. When the RED Scarlet becomes a reality, all the bid boys will need to change their entire systems.

They all have the technology to create world class cinema and ENG cameras at about a tenth of the price,but they will milk their insane profits to the bitter end. So even if you have no interest in RED and their cameras, you should pray for the Scarlet because that will be when the big boys will start to change their ways.

Invest in a new system at your own risk (but if you have to, I would go with the XDCAM EX cameras).

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 7, 2009 at 11:11:32 pm

Thanks Carl for the educated info on the changes to come. I use the EX 1 and love everything about it except the bad ergonomic design.

John

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 8, 2009 at 9:17:47 am

Get yourself an EX-1/3 and the NanoFlash.
Under-under 12K you will be able to record an amazing 1920x1080, 422, 8b, 160 Mbps Intraframe.
What else can you dream?
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 8, 2009 at 1:34:04 pm

Yes the Nano Flash is the secret to unleash almost any cameras potential. Mike Schell called me and told me that the Nano Flash prices have finally been set and I believe the MSRP is now $2795 so depending on your supplier you could see it for about $2500.

For me finding the best camera starts at the front end with features like removable lens and the largest image sensors with the highest pixel count. And now you add the recording device yourself that goes way beyond the limits of the camera.

By simply recording @ 50 Mbps you are already at the latest XD Cam HD codec level with 4:2:2 color spacing, this is a major step and you will have 80 minutes of record time using a 32 gig CF card that are below $80 now. If you raise the bit up to 100 Mbps you will reduce the record time in half to 40 minutes per 32 gig CF card. This is still a bargain with recording quality better than HD cam.

I'm receiving box number 00001 very soon and I can't wait to permanently mount it on my EX3 just like Sony did for their latest high end camera at NAB.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 8, 2009 at 2:27:00 pm

Thanks so much Michael Palmer for this informative response to the previous response. Very grateful to you and all the other forum responses to this post. Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Carl Battreall
on May 8, 2009 at 10:42:26 pm

B&H has the NANOFLASH listed at $3700. Can it record at any frame rate? 1080 60p at 100mbps or even 50mbps would just be killer. Or is it limted by the camera's max base ability? which for the ex3 is 1080 30p or 720 60P.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 8, 2009 at 11:30:23 pm

Checkout the website
http://www.convergent-design.com/
It's now public knowledge. Resellers pricing will adjust before shipping in June I'm sure. Better get your order in.

These recorders can only record the frame rate they are provided. I don't think there are any cameras spitting out 1080 60p via SDI.

1080i60/59.94/50, 1080psf30/29.97/25/24/23.98

1080p30/29.97/25/24/23.98, 720p60/59.94/50, 486i/576i

Full-Raster, 4:2:2 I-Frame Only at 100/140/160 Mbps

Full-Raster, 4:2:2 Long-GOP at 50/100 Mbps (XDCAM HD 422)

1440x1080, 4:2:0 Long-GOP at 18 ~ 40 Mbps (ASI, Proxy)

486i/576i, 4:2:2 I-Frame at 30/40/50 Mbps (IMX)

PCM 24-Bit audio (recording) / MPEG1 Layer II audio (ASI)

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 9, 2009 at 4:06:52 pm

Hi Michael,
I order the Nano-Flash a couple of months ago too.
I'm really excited.
Imagine an EX-3 with a nice lens and the Nano-Flash.
From there if you want to jump to a higher level you have to go to the new PANAs.
Starting in 30.000 US$.
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 9, 2009 at 4:36:48 pm

Hi Rafael,
I can't wait to get the Nano.

What Panny are you referring to?
HPX-3000? That is a nice camera, but before I spend those big dollars I would test out the Sony XD Cam 700 & 800 cameras.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 9, 2009 at 5:05:18 pm

[Michael Palmer] "What Panny are you referring to?
HPX-3000? That is a nice camera, but before I spend those big dollars I would test out the Sony XD Cam 700 & 800 cameras. "

Hi Michael,
I haven't tried (and probably will never have the chance) any of those cameras. I think that 8b Chroma is enough, but I think that 10b Luminance can make a big difference.
Last year i was shooting with my PD-170 and soon I will be able to record with the Nano, so what else can I ask?
Rafael

Return to posts index

Carl Battreall
on May 11, 2009 at 12:24:36 am

I would go with a RED over any of those high end Panasonic or Sony cameras. The logical step above a EX3 with a NANO Flash would be the RED One (until the Scarlet arrives).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 11, 2009 at 12:46:06 am

[Carl Battreall] "The logical step above a EX3 with a NANO Flash would be the RED One (until the Scarlet arrives)."

Unless you're obliged to shoot on your own, like ENG work, for example. Operating a RED One requires a crew, doesn't it?

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 11, 2009 at 8:35:34 am

I agree with Don.
With a RED you can not just pick the bag and go to shoot.
I guess that some time they will make something with the same quality but more ENG like.
rafael

Return to posts index

william primrose
on May 12, 2009 at 12:53:21 pm

EX-3 for us has been great, we have 2, we looked at the red yet after researching I kept hearing the words, flaws, issues, and so forth, so I went with the Sony. It's a great camera, does everything we need it to do, and more. The price is great, the images are great, and the critics, (clients) love the images, and it's the clients happiness that counts, after all, they pay me. (Music videos) With the red trying to be a feature film camera, you need to drag a pile of people around with you, great if you love to spend lots of money and extra time when the end result is the same thing( a happy client). Everyone who uses the EX-3 falls in love with it, it's easy to use, you can attach things, and it's light weight. and the best thing is, no flaws, no issues, it works perfectly every time, and great in low light. As for post, we use mac pros.

for us, it fits in perfectly.

Return to posts index

Josh Rockman
on Aug 20, 2010 at 4:42:57 am

Beautiful...exactly what I needed to read. I am purchasing EX3 to stop using and hiring a Digital Betacam. I was wanting a users opinion and I got it.

Josh Rockman
Video Production Melbourne

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 20, 2010 at 4:52:25 am

And if you can add the NANO-Flash..
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved