FORUMS: list search recent posts

pdw-U1 - any updates anyone?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
pdw-U1 - any updates anyone?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 2:29:07 pm

Hi all, brand new poster... I have an EX1 running on a Matrox AXIO system and just wondered if anyone knew when and if Sony would release an update that will enable the U1 to be able to store rushes i.e. BPAV folders? At the moment I can only use it after converting footage through clip browser to MXF files, which is a pain! Hope someone can help - really looking forward to being part of the forum, so glad to have found it! thanks, Nik

Return to posts index

Rich Okonski
Re: pdw-U1 - any updates anyone?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 4:40:06 pm

Hi Nik. I cannot help you on that topic, but did want to say welcome, and mention that I also own an EX-1 and work off of an Axio system integrated with Adobe Master's suite.

Rich

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 30, 2009 at 6:02:54 pm

Yes. I emailed a fella I'd talked to at Sony previously about the U1. Here's the text of his reply:

Hi Clint,

The expanded generic storage capability is not available on the U-1 yet.
It's currently being piloted on the PDW-HD1500 and the PDW700 and will soon be added to the U-1.

-Ian

I'm pretty anxious for this development too. The latest drivers got my U1 working with my Mac, I just can't park data on it (in excess of 500mb). The update we're waiting for is for them to unlock the size of the General folder so we can store vast amounts of BPAV's in it. :-)

Hope this helps. I've been meaning to post on this since I got the reply a week ago, but have been busy and distracted. If I hear anything further I'll try to post it more quickly.

Cf

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Apr 30, 2009 at 7:29:56 pm

Thanks very much - most helpful. I guess the million pound question is "WHEN"...! Sony are always happy to use such terms as "SOON" and "FAIRLY SHORTLY"....!
Oh well, I'm sure they know what they're doing in their infinite wisdom...
thanks guys,
Nik

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on May 4, 2009 at 5:01:11 pm

The answer at NAB was June or July. There is supposed to be a User folder that can take up the entire 25 or 50 GB as data.

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on May 4, 2009 at 7:16:10 pm

thanks Ray, that's a bit of progress. I hope it turns out to be the truth, I think Sony will sell hundreds of them as soon as this promised update finally happens.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 5, 2009 at 5:46:46 am

[Nik Read] "Sony are always happy to use such terms as "SOON" and "FAIRLY SHORTLY"....!"

I guess that nobody ever told you that S-O-N-Y stands for Soon Only Not Yet

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on May 6, 2009 at 6:52:56 pm