FORUMS: list search recent posts

are xlr ports stereo?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Raizman
are xlr ports stereo?
on Apr 26, 2009 at 11:24:24 pm

I've got an EX1 and I want to record three audio channels and I'm wondering if the following approach will work:

I have three wireless receivers. Two are receiving signals from wireless lavs and one is receiving from a shotgun mic.

I've been looking at three channel audio mixers (haven't bought one yet) that take the three incoming channels and output them as two channels by mixing together two of the three incoming channels into one stereo channel. On the mixed stereo channel (made up of the two combined incoming lavs) you can pan one of the incoming channels to the left and the other incoming channel to the right (the third incoming signal gets its own outgoing channel).

So my EX1 will be receiving from the mixer a stereo signal on one xlr port made up of the two lavs and a mono signal from the shotgun into the other xlr port.

Can I duplicate the stereo channel from the lavs in post with one copy panned to the left and the other copy panned to the right and thereby create separate channels for each lav? Will the left and right be totally distinct?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-223-7625

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: are xlr ports stereo?
on Apr 26, 2009 at 11:29:22 pm

Yes the left and right can be totally distinct, if hard panned left and right during the record. However, XLR connections are not stereo (in analog). The three pins are hot, cold and ground. One channel.
With AES digital connections, an XLR cable will carry two feeds. This does not apply though for your setup.

Your camera has 2 analog inputs. You will not get three discreet audio events.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:16:37 am

Thanks for the clarification. I now get it that my two xlr input connections are each mono.

I'm not familiar with AES digital connections and just googled the term but that didn't seems to clarify things much. I'm not sure from your response if there's a way for me to accomplish what I want to do with AES or if my camera is simply limited to two mono inputs and that's it.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-223-7625

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:05:07 am

Dave...

You will need an outboard audio recorder. Or a second EX-1.

I'm facing the same issue with a lot of things I shoot, so I recently picked up an Edirol R-44 to provide me with four additional discrete audio channels.

The Edirol R-44 is able to embed time-of-day timecode which will help me correlate the audio with the video from the EX-1. I can match up the TOD TC from the Edirol with the TOD TC from the EX-1 using SequenceLiner http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/sequenceLiner/index.html. It works in conjunction with Final Cut Pro.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:56:17 am

I just looked at the Edirol R-44. It looks interesting. I couldn't quite tell from the literature, can it mix the incoming four channels down to two outgoing mono channels that you can then run (rca to xlr) to the camera? Or do you need a separate mixer for that?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Apr 27, 2009 at 5:31:45 am

[Dave Raizman] "I just looked at the Edirol R-44. It looks interesting. I couldn't quite tell from the literature, can it mix the incoming four channels down to two outgoing mono channels that you can then run (rca to xlr) to the camera? Or do you need a separate mixer for that?"

The idea is to record separate audio in what's known as "double system sound".

The independent and discrete audio tracks are synchronized later in post-production.

What you seem to be asking is whether the Edirol R-44 can act as a mixer and that's not the best application for it. You could send audio to the camera, but rather than do that, consider using the Edirol for an additional four channels of audio while the camera records two more channels: for a total of 6 audio channels.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:42:13 pm

For more information on AES digital:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES3

But, like I said, this doesn't apply to your situation. Your camera does not have AES digital inputs.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 26, 2009 at 11:50:11 pm

Sorry Dave, you cannot send stereo over a single XLR cable.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 28, 2009 at 5:11:44 am

As Chris say, XRL is a mono connexion.
it uses three cables because is what is call a "balanced signal".
Just a method to protect the audio signal from interferences.
there is a widspread missconception about what is stereo.
camcordrs do not record Stereo. records (normally) two mono channels.
is to you make an stereo pair from them.
Once you signal is stereo, you can not separate any more the two channels.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]