FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Firmware Wishlist

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
EX3 Firmware Wishlist
on Apr 26, 2009 at 1:43:33 am

I'm wondering when Sony will have a firmware update for the EX-3? All I've seen is EX-1 updates. There are some simple things I think that they could do to improve the EX-3 with just a software update.

Here's my wishlist so far.

1. Vectorscope
2. Waveform
3. Better audio metering-Label meter with db

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: EX3 Firmware Wishlist
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:03:52 am

Look on the left side, at the bottom. It's the "Status" button.

1. Press the button
2. Use the scroller or the joystick to get to the AUDIO status screen.

It's a shame that you didn't get an instruction manual with your $8,000 purchase because if you did, you could have found this information on pages 105 and 107. I found this info through "Google" search. We don't have an EX-3.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Marc Chapuis
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:42:21 am

Steve,

Thanks for going above and beyond but since I have one I know that you can't see this when you're actually shooting in camera mode outside of the audio status menu and that's why I brought it up.

Its nice that in the audio menu one can see this but I don't understand why they don't have this level of detail on the meters when they are at the bottom when you're actively recording and not just unmarked bars.

If anyone has other firmware suggestions I would love for sony to get this list and hopefully implement.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 26, 2009 at 5:30:35 am

Thanks Marc

you could have mentioned that you knew about the status screen. It would have saved me days of research.

It's crazy that they don't give us a tick mark on the normal screen. One at -12 and another at -20 would have been a really nice touch. If you turn on your tone, you'll know where the level is on your regular screen. Just take a file or a pocket knife and cut a groove in the plastic and then you'll have it. Or not.

Actually, you could put a small piece of clear tape on the lower part of the lcd to indicate the -20 mark. Yep, it's completely a redneck way to do it but...

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Marc Chapuis
on Apr 26, 2009 at 6:08:30 am

Steve I like your style!

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:54:09 pm

..I'm not sure if can be software update, but making the "instant AF-lock" button work like in other Sony cameras would be nice... (working in full manual focus, but pressing the button to instant AF)...

and, of course, let ALL XDCAM-EX Sony customers to make our own updates by download & install on the cameras without having to send the equipment ....

regards

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 26, 2009 at 5:04:42 pm

My wish is they upgrade the bit rate to 50Mbps with 4:2:2 color spacing. This would be very simple as the encoder is the same as the PDW-700/800 cameras, in fact it is the same encoder used in the Convergent Design Flash XDR and Nano Flash HD-SDI/HDMI compact flash recorders. I'm sure it would end the use of the SDHC cards putting the SxS cards to good use and it would be worth it.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 26, 2009 at 8:00:26 pm

A record cache would be nice, especially for the news and wildlife folks. Something around 10 seconds. The PDW-F800 supposedly will have 30 seconds.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2009 at 8:09:54 pm

I expect it would be more like the 3 seconds on the JVC HM EX cameras (2.9 seconds NTSC, 3 seconds PAL).

I'm bitting my tongue and I will leave it at that.

Return to posts index

Jay Allen
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:27:27 pm

One more wish..the ability to have time lapse with the programmable takes.(zoom and or focus over time)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]