FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 choice 1080/23.98 or 720/23.98

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcel Wolthers
EX-1 choice 1080/23.98 or 720/23.98
on Apr 26, 2009 at 1:38:30 am

Im setting up to shoot a cross country rally from LA to Miami. I want to shoot in 24p because I like the cinematic look that 24p gives. im leaning to 1080 because of the increased resolution. Am i wrong? i will deliver in 1080/29.97 so why even think about shooting in 720, aside from the over and under cranking?

Also, I've been reading the whole motion blur debate... I understand how 24 'looks', and I dont mind that. However, Im shooting moving cars all day and motion is everywhere... Any advice to a safe setting that delivers optimal clarity and minimal motion blur?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX-1 choice 1080/23.98 or 720/23.98
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:35:22 am

[Marcel Wolthers] "im leaning to 1080 because of the increased resolution. Am i wrong?"

No, you're right. A 1080 image will look sharper on a true 1080 monitor than a blown up 720 image will.

[Marcel Wolthers] "i will deliver in 1080/29.97 so why even think about shooting in 720, aside from the over and under cranking? "

You can under-crank in 1080 but not over-crank.

[Marcel Wolthers] "I understand how 24 'looks', and I dont mind that. However, Im shooting moving cars all day and motion is everywhere... Any advice to a safe setting that delivers optimal clarity and minimal motion blur? "

There are 2 shooting formats that will give you the best temporal resolution:

1080i 60 - 2 interlaced flields per frame
720p 60 - 2 complete pictures per frame

Anything else is a compromise between increased motion blur and the cinematic 'look'. You choose what's more important for the project. if you have your heart set on shooting 24p make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Is your intent to sell this to someone afterwards? Do you have a buyer already? If so do they know you're going to shoot it in 24p?

The only way to reduce motion blur in 24p is to increase shutter speed/angle. Again, this is also a compromise because if you go too wild on the shutter you're going to get into the stuttery 'Private Ryan' look.

You need to get out there and shoot some test clips with the same sort of subject matter that the real project will be comprised of. See what shooting format and camera settings get the result you'll be happy with.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
Re: EX-1 choice 1080/23.98 or 720/23.98
on Apr 27, 2009 at 5:35:15 am

If you're going to deliver on film then I'd say go 24p.

But if you're going to deliver to anything on broadcast, then I would recommend shooting 30p and completely avoid potential pulldown issues. The difference of the look of 24p and 30p are probably not that significant. As suggested, do some tests and see.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]