FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to record time & date over video

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Sparks
How to record time & date over video
on Apr 25, 2009 at 12:39:57 am

Hey, I need some help. Is it possible to record time and date over video on an EX-1 camera? We were trying to do a deposition and were unable to use our EX-1 because could not find how to record time & date. We ended up going back to our PD-150 camera to record the deposition. Have I just missed some setting in the manual?

Terry Sparks
Big Sky Video Productions Inc
tsparks@bigskyvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to record time & date over video
on Apr 25, 2009 at 12:52:04 am

You can do it on output going to an external device but not on anything recorded to the card.
Of course there's metadata but courts don't accept that as a "stamp." The irony is one can certainly counterfeit a visual time date stamp.

Return to posts index

Bengt-Goran Bengtsson
on May 1, 2009 at 6:18:06 pm

Terry,
the best is to select timecode=clock!
Enter Menu and down to TB/UB set-menu.
Mode: select clock.
/BG

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 6:32:57 pm

That will embed the info but when doing legal Depositions the courts generally want that info visibly burned into the camera master (so simply embed or burn in dub is usually not legally acceptable).

Taking a "live" (during the shooting) output to an external device with the above burned in might be acceptable as a master.

Keep in mind there's a legal concern that embedded metadata can be altered without a trace. It possible to fabricate time/date information when dubbing. Camera masters with the info burned in is generally considered the most secure for that reason.

With the advent of tapeless recording the courts may have to consider what they'd consider legally secure in that circumstance.

Also note that long into the use of DV, Depositions were still done on VHS because the potential of 2 to 6 hour record times on a single tape (tape changes are a major interruption). Security is far more important than quality (but that's an unfortunate mistake in my opinion where seeing the detail in the deponent's body language can have impact).

Return to posts index

Bengt-Goran Bengtsson
on May 2, 2009 at 2:43:23 pm

Hmm interesting.
Today there are no "camera" master. What is origingal and what is copy in the digital world.

Maybe it is nessesary to invent new ways of prof. If you turn on a radio station on a scene to prove the timecode and then continue to film? Then there will be a independant "stamp" in the film. But that is also possible to fake... But free running clock timecode together with that type of independant stamping...
You can film your watch (analog) before shooting and then go to a police station and do the same...
Maybe we need to talk to Sony to build in some features that is difficult to change. Like timecode embedded in the videocode itself. I think adobe has something like that in photoshop?

I think time is essential here. After shooting, or during, you need a testemony, like a police telling the time... as soon as possible.
But I have no leagal experience on this. I still think the "clock" timecode is the best so far...

/BG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]