FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help! Clip got corrupted

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
Help! Clip got corrupted
on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:07:16 pm

Have just come back from a shoot and transferred footage across. All fine and worked perfectly on XDCAM Transfer apart from 1 clip. I am getting 'Failed to Import Movie from file ....' The clip is greyed out without a thumbnail. It plays fine on the camera and imports fine into Clip browser, but I can't seem to copy the clip again with new in and out points set.

This was the one clip that I showed straight back to the client on location (as it was the best take). Could that have anything to do with it? Have tried Update media but no change. Running out of ideas, apart from just playing in via SDI.

Thanks for any advice,

Martin.

Return to posts index

Chris Clifton
Re: Help! Clip got corrupted
on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:21:04 pm

This happened to me and Sony said to make a copy via SDI or any way you can to another source. It won't import via Transfer now. After you have it saved somewhere, see if that card will record again over that same area (note the timecode of the corrupt clip) and then you'll know if it's a corrupt area on the card. It had nothing to do with playback in my case. It was a corrupt card. I'm still trying to get Sony to replace it... a year later. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on Apr 24, 2009 at 12:57:13 am

If it plays back in the camera, then just capture it as it plays back.

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Apr 24, 2009 at 9:38:09 am

Yes, I guesss I was lucky that the clip played back in the camera - I have played out via SDI and got it. However this is only the 2nd job with the EX3 having only just bought it, so am a little nervous now.

Thanks for advice.

Martin.

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
Nervous
on Apr 24, 2009 at 6:24:53 pm

We have shot maybe 80-100 hrs on two EX3s and have not had that error...yet.
I have had XDCAM Transfer gray out a clip one minute just to have it pop up
after restarting the application.

Return to posts index

Chris Clifton
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:28:00 pm

I've been shooting with EX cameras for over a year and only had this happen ONCE to one clip. I had more problems with tape cameras in the last 25 years of work---tapeless is a dream come true. You can trust it. But back it up to two hard drives, always, so you can sleep at night. One word...DROBO.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 26, 2009 at 5:27:20 pm

Mr. Clifton is right in that a lot more can go wrong with video tape than with solid state recording. I've never had a corrupt clip or been unable to transfer a clip from any of my Sony SxS Pro cards. To be fair, I'll hazard a guess that some of you have recorded more clips than I have but still.........

I also think it's important to reformat the cards on a regular basis to keep the possibility of directory errors to a minimum. I don't mean reformat every time but perhaps every 4th or 5th time you empty the cards do a reformat instead of simply deleting clips.

And here's another thought for everyone's consideration:

Not too long ago my wife took a still camera refresher course at a local college. Her instructor cautioned everyone against the practice of deleting an unwanted picture from the memory card, saying that he's seen ghosting of the previous image underneath the new image when the camera takes another shot and it ends up in the same spot as the deleted one. He said to leave the unwanted image as is and reformat the entire card after the images have been transferred to computer. I hadn't heard of this before and now I'm wondering if the same rules should apply to video as well.

- Don

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Apr 26, 2009 at 7:40:02 pm

Thanks for your thoughts - it is comforting to think that this was (hopefully!) quite a rare occurance.

I am of the reformatting rather than deletion school. Still early days on the Ex3 for me, but it makes sense to wipe the card clean each time as I have seen on stills cameras that bits of data can be strewn around a card eventually causing access errors.

I've been pretty lucky on the tape front over the past 12 years in business, so it all feels a bit lairy at the moment, and the experience the other day was a setback ...... anyway, am encouraged by the experiences shared here.

Thanks,
Martin

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Apr 26, 2009 at 10:20:13 pm

Hi, Martin
I'm new to this forum, but have been following other forums for the EX and your thread caught my eye so I had to join up.
I had this exact same thing happen, but not with a SxS card. I was using a MxR Express Card adapter with a Transcend 16GB class 6 SDHC card. I have 6 of these cards, 2 SxS 16GB and 2 SxS 8GB. I have never had a problem with any of my other cards, either SDHC or SxS. I posted on another forum about this, but no one there had experienced it. Fortunately for me, my take wasn't a critical one so I didn't bother to try the SDI out option. My clip would also play back in the camera, and actually downloaded to the drive via Clip Browser, but would not transfer with File Transfer. I got that same error message and grayed out clip. Have you noticed if that clip plays in Clip Browser?
I did try to copy the clip back to another SxS card which failed. Now I wonder if I have a problem with that one card. (no big deal, they only cost $30) I have also heard that the best way to erase the cards is not to format it every time (but there are those who still swear by this) but to use the 'all clips delete' function in the camera's menu. This is what I have always done, and with the exception of that one clip have never had a problem.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2009 at 10:29:19 pm

[Derek Reich] "My clip would also play back in the camera, and actually downloaded to the drive via Clip Browser, but would not transfer with File Transfer."

If the clips plays back in camera and ClipBrowser but XDCAM Transfer can't rewrap it, it may just be bad metadata (obviously the clip itself is OK since it plays).

I'd suggest removing the MP4 and using the Import function in ClipBrowser. It'll create a new BPAV folder for it. You can also try importing that orphaned MP4 into XDCAM Transfer by itself. Key is separating it from it's current BPAV which might have bad metadata.

ClipBrowser 2.5 and XDCAM Transfer 2.9 handle orphaned MP4 well.

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Apr 26, 2009 at 10:56:22 pm

Hi, Craig-
Thanks for the suggestion. Since it wasn't a 'keeper' clip, I didn't really lose any sleep over it. I did follow a suggestion to copy the clip from one slot on the camera to another card, which created a new BPAV folder. However when I tried that, the same result happened. The clip played in the camera and in Clip Browser (w/CRC enabled by the way) but was not recognized by File Transfer. I wasn't really interested in saving the clip so much as finding a solution should it happen again.

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Apr 27, 2009 at 11:04:30 am

Hi Derek and Craig,

Yes, exactly the same, my clip (it was on an MxM card with 16Gb Sandisk Class 4) plays on Clip Browser but when I try to do an import of the MPEG4 it doesn't let me do this.

I've uploaded the clip (its pretty short) - see what you can make of it:

http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=c027c688-f34b-4d55-ad91-ec9f2e5...

Would be interested to see if you could get it to work!

Martin.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:04:07 pm

So far:
ClipBrowser 2.5 will recognize and play the clip when it's in the BPAV.
When separated from BPAV ClipBrowser will not import the Clip.
I can't get VLC to play the clip either.
XDCAM Transfer 2.9 will give a -50 error when in the BPAV and will nog import the clip when separated.

It seems that the MP4 itself is corrupted. Still looking to see what/why. I don't think the issue is the metadata external to the MP4 but internal to the BPAV in this case (which is the more typical issue).

Return to posts index

rob epple
Re: Help! (sxs clip corrupted)
on Oct 12, 2009 at 2:35:04 am

Hi I faced a similar issue - could play the clip in the camera after restoring the media but it would ot transfer via my express card reader in my macbookpro or via a usb card reader. Each time clipbrowser attempted to transfer, the program would say that the media has been ejected and clipbrowser would no longer display anything from the SXS card (as i I just pulled the card out). Anyway, I read these threads, and examined the menu in the camera browser. I decided to DIVIDE the corrupted clip into 2 pieces (just decided to divide it right at the beginning as a shot in the dark). Then I copied the new clip (the second piece) to a fresh card in slot b (which supposed recreates the BPAV folder) and wallah! I successfully got most of my clip (minus a couple of seconds of footage in the beginning). I can live with that for now. Not sure what lead to the corruption in the first place but sure am glad I could extract most of the clip as noted above! pretty apprehensive about these cards though since I have faced similar corruption issues when I hot start and stop record to often to fast...

Rob E.

Return to posts index

Kirk Watson
on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:51:48 pm

I have had similar things with my EX1 but only after six months of owning it. To start with every clip was perfect from camera to clip browser to XDCAM transfer into FCP. In the last month I occasionally get clips that transfer into clip browser then with jam half way through or so when I try and play them back in clip browser. They often import all the way into FCP but when I drag the clip onto the timeline it slows the computer down and then often crashes FCP.

With a very slow FCP I manage to get the clip deleted then everything works great again. It seems to be happening more and more. Sometimes if I re-import to clip browser the clips then work and other times they don't. Often I don't have time to check every clip before I need to delete them off the cards to film with them again so the corrupt clips end up having to be deleted which is a bummer as a lot of the docu stuff I shoot can not be re shot. I format my SXS cards after each fill.

Have to say I had the odd problems with tapes in Z1 and XL1s in the past and working with solid state does make editing far easier than before.

Do people find that the cameras get worse with relatively small age increases. Also does it help to have the camera hardware/firmware updated. I have been in Antarctica for the past year and still am so haven't been able to pop into a shop to update.

Also are the cheaper work around cards (using sd and sxs cradle card) worse or just the same. Can you shoot in 50i with work around cards as well??

Have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:07:00 pm

I've had the EX1 since December 2007. Since January 2009 I've been using SDHC. I've never had a corrupted clip.

If you're not using ClipBrowser with CRC checking, you're inviting a disaster. You may very well have made a bad copy of a good clip which CRC helps determine.

Return to posts index

Kirk Watson
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:56:58 pm

Hi Craig,

Cheers for this info. Unfortunately I don't know what CRC checking is, could you tell me how to switch it on in clip browser (can't find it there) or where to download it if I need too.

At present I don't have any SDHC (presume this is the work around cards) I just have two sandisk express SXS's 16gb and three Sony XDCAM EX SXS pros also 16gb. You reckon going for the cheaper work around is working fine though??

Tell me more about the CRC if you have time please.

have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:53:21 pm

[Kirk Watson] "Cheers for this info. Unfortunately I don't know what CRC checking is, could you tell me how to switch it on in clip browser (can't find it there) or where to download it if I need too. "

ClipBrowser Preferences Edit tab. It's also explained in the PDF manual.[Kirk Watson] "You reckon going for the cheaper work around is working fine though?? "
Buy proven brand and types and they work fine and flawlessly. Currently Sandisk Extreme Class 10 and ATP ProMax have been tested reliable.

Return to posts index

Kirk Watson
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:20:43 pm

I have noticed now that my clip browser is version 1.01. The newest version I found is 2.6 should I upgrade to this? or to a slightly earlier version?

have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

Kirk Watson
downloading clip browser v2.6
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:27:59 pm

If I do download clip browser v2.6 do I need to download anything else to make it fully compatible with my EX1 and all the way into FCP. I use XDCAM transfer to bring footgae into FCP does this need upgraded also.

Do I also need to get rid of my first Clip browser before loading the new one? Do I just dump it in the recycle bin?

Sorry loads of questions. Cheers for any help in Advance.
Have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:21:41 pm

Hi Kirk - I've had my EX3 since last March. I got my fingers burnt early on with SDHC so won't touch them now. I think that the investment in a number of Sony SxS cards has been worth it because the little odd problems that I was getting have all stopped since I started to only use SxS. Some others like Craig have had no probs with SDHC so there is no right or wrong to using the adapters. But purely based on my experience with them, they do present an element of risk.

Return to posts index

Kirk Watson
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:01:00 pm

Cheers Martin,

Thats a shame as I am cheap Scotsman that would prefer the cheapest working option. I shall maybe give a few a test run and see if I get some like Craig's when I return to the real world (fingers crossed, touch wood)

Have fun
Kirk

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:56:56 pm

[Martin Phillips] "Some others like Craig have had no probs with SDHC "

Buy the right cards that have been tested and follow safe procedure (wait until the light changes color to press record again) and they work.

The only risk is that a card manufacturer changes their specs without obviously changing the label of the card.

Currently Sandisk Extreme and ATP ProMax are good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]