FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcend 32GB Update...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli Hollander
Transcend 32GB Update...
on Apr 22, 2009 at 10:43:42 pm

I just received my two 32GB Transcend SDHC's. I put them in my MxM cards. Perfect... Overcrank to 37 fps (at 720, of course), and no errors. At 38 fps, I do get media errors after a time, usually over a minute.

I get identical results with overcranking with my Sandisk 16GB Ultra II cards -- 37 fps, no problem, but at 38 fps I get media errors. It seems that the media errors come a little bit earlier with the Sandisks than with the Transcends (usually at less than a minute).

Running the Transcends at "normal" speeds, i.e. 720 24P; 720 30P, 1080 24P, and 1080 30P seems rock solid so far.

I am happy!

Thank you to all those who "paved the way"!
Eli

Return to posts index

Tom Estes
Re: Transcend 32GB Update...
on May 1, 2009 at 4:33:36 pm

I just got the MxR and the Transcend 32GB Class 6 and was testing to see if the EX1 would switch over to slot B after slot A was full. Before the camera can switch from slot A to slot B I get an error "Media Error" "Media A needs to be restored." I shoot dance recitals and was hoping to use two 32GB cards to capture the entire recital without switching cards. When I remove the card it does fell warm.

Anyone having similar issues or have any solutions.

Thanks

Tom Estes
Artistic Video Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 5:34:33 pm

Interesting. I often shoot more than 2 hours continuous and I've never had the problem with my Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 2 cards which I bought in January. Unfortunately all but one person can't even get the newer Class 4 cards to format.

From what you're describing it almost sounds as if there'd be a buffer write issue when the recording completes on a card. What would remain open (not yet finalized) is the SMI that identifies the clip as spanned.

Watch the little red light above the slot and see if you notice anything at the time of the slot change.

One thing you'll notice in general is that the light goes from red to green much faster after recording is stopped with SxS. Hence my theory about buffering as the final files (media and/or metadata) is being written.

If the file itself (MP4) looks ok the it is likely something happening with the writing of the metadata at that point.

Return to posts index

Tom Estes
on May 1, 2009 at 9:01:18 pm

I'm going to have test it again, but I believe that I was getting the error with about 1/2 hour to go before the slot switched.

I also bought the Sandisk 32GB - Won't format.
Transcend 32GB - Problems mentioned above.
Sandisk 16GB - OK so far.

I'll test the Transcend 32GB again tonight.

Tom Estes
Artistic Video Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 1, 2009 at 9:06:20 pm

[Tom Estes] "I believe that I was getting the error with about 1/2 hour to go before the slot switched. "

Sorry but that's a very different problem then you described. What does this have to do with slots switching?
The camera would have stopped recording if you got a media error so you're probably not describing this problem accurately.

Return to posts index

Ron Dean
on Apr 10, 2010 at 3:00:22 pm

Curious to learn if anyone has experienced any difficulty completing initial formatting 32GB SXS-1 cards using an EX-3.
I tried 2 32GB cards and received a reading of 79% and didn't complete the process.
Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]