Calibrated Software XDCAM EX MP4 import

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Calibrated Software XDCAM EX MP4 import
on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:54:05 pm

Here's the COW release.
http://news.creativecow.net/story/861839

Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import -- A QuickTime plug-in offering native import and playback of MP4 files from JVCPro HD HM700 and Sony XDCAM EX cameras with the same workflow advantages as Calibrated Software's MXF Import tool. JVCPro HD HM700 and Sony XDCAM EX MP4 files can be imported and played directly without logging and transferring clips and can also be used natively in other QuickTime-enabled applications.

English translation. You can now import the MP4 directly into Final Cut Pro. No need to wrap to MOV.
You can import into Compressor (or Episode, my favorite) and make a Window Dub without going through FCP and using a Time Code Reader plugin.

BIG news I think.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Calibrated Software XDCAM EX MP4 import
on Apr 22, 2009 at 9:59:32 am

[Craig Seeman] "JVCPro HD HM700 and Sony XDCAM EX MP4"

Hi Craig,
I thought that the JVC records directly ".mov".
No MP4 wrapping.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 22, 2009 at 10:57:26 am

It records natively to .MOV format on SDHC cards Rafael, but can also record to .MP4 if recording using the optional SxS Media Recorder.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 22, 2009 at 1:09:10 pm

Hi Andy,
I'm really interested in the SDHC that the JVC people will use.
What they can do with the JVC they should be able to do it with the SONY, unless..
BTW I haven't had yet any feedback about the JVC.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:02:45 pm

JVC SDHC can overcrank to 2x the frame rate from what I understand. In other words 24/48, 25/50, 30/60.

Also JVC seems to imply any (most?) Class 6 card would work with the camera. There are very few SDHC cards that work with Sony.

I would hope Sony has a firmware update that would allow that but I think Sony has little interest in supporting those using SDHC with their own cameras.

BIG MISTAKE on Sony's part I think.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 22, 2009 at 4:00:39 pm

Hard for Sony to do anything at this point other than to release a PCI-Express based card adapter. The camera's firmware could be updated for compatibility, and with a fast enough bus speed (the apparent bottleneck in using SD cards in EX cameras now) it could probably overcrank comparably.

If the JVC is accomplishing the 2x overcrank by means of a buffer internal to the camera, that's also something Sony could engineer into their SD adapter. It would be worth some serious bucks to many EX owners, too.

Sony's going to have to do some soul searching (for lack of a better term) to determine whether the $800 cards are going to push people elsewhere, or whether they want to get on board the SD ship before it's sailed beyond their reach. They could charge for the high-speed adapters to current customers (including screwing us for a firmware upgrade we'd rather do ourselves, if required) and offer them with rebate to new camera customers.

That's always the danger with proprietary formats. The stubborn stick to their guns and go the way of the dinosaur. Hopefully Sony will open up the EX line a little more rather than doing something foolish. If they win, we win.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Sony and SDHC
on Apr 22, 2009 at 5:05:21 pm

Changed Subject to clarify the change in discussion.

Keep in mind that you can get get 24/42 or so with MxR/M and SDHC. I've heard a couple of people claim they can get 24/48 . . . Hoodman makes this claim but I've read one review saying otherwise. Since Sony is already close I'm hoping it's just a buffer issue that can be altered in firmware rather than hardware.

The same goes for cache record buffer which JVC can do at about 3 seconds. I also believe this would be just a firmware change (and there's "evidence" to this belief and I'll leave it at that).

Certainly where there's firmware there's hardware and it is truly possible that Sony's hardware implementation has made it more these more difficult to do than JVC. I hope that's not the case though.

All this does bring into the question, as Clint alludes to, of whether SxS has a reason to survive (at least at its current price point). If one can get 2x overcrank on SDHC what purpose does SxS serve (which can get 2.5x at 24/60 but at major expense for the card)?

What JVC has done is made the camera .mov native. Add the SxS adaptor and it then allow .mp4 recording as well. It also allows one to record to SxS and SDHC simultaneously. While the double record has merit (hand SDHC to client or save as archival and reuse SxS) I'm not sure if people will buy the SxS adaptor to add .mp4 recording.

For those with JVC recording to .mov, CalibratedSoftware has a plugin (both Mac and Windows) so non FCP systems can handle the EX .mov. For those with Sony EX cameras Calibrated Software has a plugin which will allow FCP to use the .mp4 directly. So JVC owners really don't need to buy the expensive SxS adaptor for .mp4. Sony owners have MxR/M/Hoodman but may not get the full speed the SDHC cards are capable of.

Basically Sony only hurts itself if they hold back on SDHC overcranking (and record cache).

It seems SxS cards themselves are becoming less relevant and Sony will have to decide whether, going forward, they want to sell EX cameras (vs JVC vs Panasonic) or SxS cards (which will sell in smaller numbers if Sony looses camera sales to JVC and Panasonic).

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:43:59 pm

Huge news, thanks Craig. I posted about this very issue last week or so, wondering how to get a timecode burn without a lot of steps or trouble.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:52:27 pm

Not only MP4 straight into FCP
but MP4 into Compressor, Episode, etc to make Window Burn ins without having to go through FCP.

A dream come true!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]