FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Sony PMW EX1 footage into imovie

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Breheney
Importing Sony PMW EX1 footage into imovie
on Apr 17, 2009 at 6:14:10 pm

Hello:

First let me start by thanking you for your expertise and your patience. I am not the most techically savvy person, so please bear with me. Here's the short of it. Getting married. Hiring a videographer using a Sony PMW EX1. Asking for the raw footage so we can edit our own video in imovie08. I've read a few threads here that address this issue but still not entirely sure i have an answer. Simply--is it possible to import this footage from a dvd into imovie08? I understand there a conversion that will have to occur--but using what? This is what I found in another thread:free Sony ClipBrowser 2.00.01 can export to Raw DV (.dv) which should work in iMovie. But does anyone know for sure? I don't want to pay for footage i can't use! Thank you.

CB

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Importing Sony PMW EX1 footage into imovie
on Apr 17, 2009 at 6:56:50 pm

[Christian Breheney] "free Sony ClipBrowser 2.00.01 can export to Raw DV (.dv) which should work in iMovie."

Use ClipBrowser 2.5 but yes that works although you don't get the timecode which really isn't important to iMovie.

Of course maybe a more idea workflow would be to find a way to convert it to AIC so you could keep it HD.

BTW if you have FCP installed it'll go right into iMovie too (but then why use iMovie).

Return to posts index

Christian Breheney
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:41:58 pm

Again, thank you. Very helpful and our videographer will be very happy we'll be able to use him...

CB

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:39:41 pm

BTW make sure you get a copy of the "masters" (the untouched BPAV folders) burned on to a data disk.
You may want to use that some day. You can then do the conversion to DV for iMovie yourself using ClipBrowser. You'd be able to play those HD source clips in full screen mode from the ClipBrowser itself. It'll look good if you have a big AppleCinemaDisplay. If you have a MacPro with 2 DVI outs you can get a DVI to HDMI cable and play those master clips on your HDTV.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 18, 2009 at 1:44:42 pm

I Craig,
Don't you need FC installed to be able to read-transcode the EX-1 files?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2009 at 1:43:52 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Don't you need FC installed to be able to read-transcode the EX-1 files? "

ClipBrowser to DV, no.
To rewrap to EX mov and use those, yes.

I can think of potential workarounds but haven't tried them . . .

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 18, 2009 at 2:38:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "ClipBrowser to DV, no"
This would be the simplest option for going to a DVD.
rafel

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2009 at 2:51:51 pm

[Rafael Amador] "[Craig Seeman] "ClipBrowser to DV, no"
This would be the simplest option for going to a DVD.
rafel
"

Simplest probably, best quality maybe not.
EX to DV to DVD.
Double compression has to be a quality hit but will it be enough to bother people?

Generally, the best source yields the best results.

BTW potential workflow someone might want to test for iMovie with no FCP installed.
In XDCAM Transfer, check box "Import clips with no installed codec." and rewrap to MOV. You won't be able to see video though.
Use CalibratedSoftware EX MOV decoder which is designed for systems without FCP. There's a free trial.

I'm thinking that one could rewrap to MOV without the codec installed and then CalibratedSoftware will allow use of EX MOV file in iMovie. I can't try this as I have FCP on my systems but someone might want to give it a test if they have a non FCP Mac with iMovie.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 21, 2009 at 2:16:36 pm

You may want to pay a few extra buc's for your videographer to transcode the footage for you to MOV. Also have him supply you the original file for later use in case you get final cut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]