FORUMS: list search recent posts

Survivor Set-up

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Survivor Set-up
on Apr 17, 2009 at 5:06:17 pm

I just tuned into Survivor for the first time in several years, and thought the HD image was gorgeous. I understand that they are now shooting with XDCAM. Does anyone know which cameras, and what they are using to get the very shallow DOF?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Survivor Set-up
on Apr 19, 2009 at 10:07:25 pm

They're using PDW-700's and editing on Avid Unity/Media Composer in LA. I don't know about how they're getting a shallow DOF. More info here:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hdhdv/depth/dirt_on_survivor_in_hd1014/in...

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 20, 2009 at 1:04:02 am

Thanks Don.
Very good article. It's interesting that they shoot in 1080p, even though they are delivering in 1080i.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 20, 2009 at 2:22:34 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. Which bears out what one of the HD experts (Gary Adcock) has been preaching for awhile now: "Interlaced is a delivery format, not an acquisition format." I can sort of understand why the Survivor crew is doing what they're doing because it's probably not a big deal to do an interlaced version with something like a KONA 3 board at the same time they're printing a show to tape.

Shooting progressive will future-proof the show for LCD and plasma screens as well as pulling good stills from the footage. Since the PDW-700 cameras don't shoot native 24p without an add-on piece of firmware (and a PC board too, I think) worth around 4 grand and change their 16 cameras are probably shooting 1080p 30. I don't even know if the PC board is available yet.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]