FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is your XDCAM bag?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Steblen
What is your XDCAM bag?
on Apr 17, 2009 at 1:27:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to take out the loan and make the plunge into XDCAM. As I put together my purchase request, I was wondering if you could share what you all feel is necessary to carry with you on a shoot:

What kind of memory cards do you use?

How many cards are you comfortable carrying?

How many batteries?

A laptop for data offload, or some other way?

Do you have a Mattebox? Filters?

Portable monitor?

Thanks for your help. Now to convince my wife to go for the home equity loan...

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: What is your XDCAM bag?
on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:13:25 pm

1. I use the S X S cards that are intended for the camera, too much at risk to go for the false economy.

2. I travel with 1x16 Gb and 2x8 Gb which gives about 2 hours at top res.1

3. 1 BP-U60 battery and i BP-U30. and charger if I'm going to be near power.

4. If I'm concerned I shoot more than 2 hours I take a laptop and USB 320 Gb portable drive with card reader.

5. I don't personally use a matte box or filters but many do.

6. If the shoot is a big one with other crew and a DOP or Director who wants to see footage then a monitor would be handy but I just review on the camera screen for immediate checking.

You will get many variations on this answer, it all depends on circumstances and what you want.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:12:07 pm

[Michael Slowe] "1. I use the S X S cards that are intended for the camera, too much at risk to go for the false economy. "

Offloading during a shoot is a risk for human error. SDHC allows one to avoid that and frees your laptop for other uses.
Having to spend time copying to a "portable" media as opposed to handing a client an SDHC card is also lost money.

It's not a false economy at all. SxS may mean additional risks and costs.

[Michael Slowe] "2. I travel with 1x16 Gb and 2x8 Gb which gives about 2 hours at top res.1 "
As do I but I also have 2 MxR with a 32GB SDHC card in each.

[Michael Slowe] "3. 1 BP-U60 battery and i BP-U30. and charger if I'm going to be near
power."

Same.

[Michael Slowe] "4. If I'm concerned I shoot more than 2 hours I take a laptop and USB 320 Gb portable drive with card reader. "

Big risk in many shooting environments ranging from another piece of gear that can break or be stolen. Another point of failure. That's why 2 32GB SDHC cards.

I'm thinking of adding shoulder support but I really want to try before I buy.

I'm taking a good look at Kessler Crane's Pocket Dolly and Pocket Jib (I already have 8' Kessler crane).

Another critical piece of kit if you shoot in dark places is a tiny mag light type thing. Actually I've been using a keychain with a tiny 3" LED flashlight on it.

I have an Anton Bauer - EgripZ to see if it helps hand held work. I haven't used it much because it takes a few seconds to attach after taking off tripod. It's actually the same logistical issue I'm looking at with shoulder support.

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Apr 18, 2009 at 2:02:17 am

What kind of memory cards do you use?
SDHC Sandisk Ultra 16 gig cards with MxR adapters. Absolutely NO problems with the combo...

How many cards are you comfortable carrying?
Usually 2 16 Gig plus 2 8 gig... about 3 hours per session which has been enough for most of my projects....

How many batteries?
Just one.. Anton Bauer Dionic 90 with the QR adapter for the EX3... believe me.. I kept the battery from my previous camera (JVC HD110) and with the adapter NEVER need another battery (plus the added benefit of extra weight balance)

A laptop for data offload, or some other way?
Not needed with extra SDHC cards... laptop too risky ...

Do you have a Mattebox? Filters?
Not yet... (I have to pay the loan for the camera first..)

Portable monitor?
Nop... (but the EX3 has an EXCELENT monitor-viewfinder !!)

Good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Apr 18, 2009 at 8:42:11 pm

2 @ sxs 8GB
2 Sandisk ex3 (8 / 16 GB)
2 Sandisk II (16 / 32 GB)
1 standard battery, 1 adaptor for NP1's battery belt, 1 car-lighter adaptor
1 2.93GZ 17" MBP 4GBRAM,320/7200harddisk, lacie external (sata to express 34)
B+W UV Slim MRC, Circular polarizer

Return to posts index

Brian Steblen
on Apr 20, 2009 at 5:10:21 pm

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. This will be MY first camera purchase (I've always worked for someone else) so I'm trying to be as informed as I can.

Thanks again.

Brian

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:35:54 pm

Hi, Brian-
I could go on forever on all the different accessories you could/should get, but it really boils down to personal preference on battery weight, design, or even what you already own. I had several IDX V-mounts for my Beta already, so I purchased a Bebob COCOEX battery adapter to use with these and LOVE it. Not only can I run all day long on one battery, but it provides 6 (count 'em, 6) power taps. 4 hirose and 2 D-taps. Very handy for external lights, wireless receivers, monitors, etc. One needs to be used for the camera power.
That's just my 2 cents worth on power.
I also use the MXR Express adapter with Transcend 16GB SDHC cards, and have only had one clip do something 'funny' out of all the shooting I've done with them. (too long to go into here) but the upshot is that clip was okay, but something in the metadata was off. Could have been saved, but I didn't need it anyway. I have 6 of those cards, and have as much faith in them as I have in the 4 SxS cards I also use. I do always start with my SxS cards first though. (plus, you cannot overcrank on the SDHC) Hoodman now offers this adapter (the same one) with their own SDHC cards (at more cost than Transcend) but offer a 100% success guarantee with the cards. I don't know exactly what this means, but they appear to really stand by their stuff.

So all that said, here are my suggestions for MUST haves for a new EX owner:
1) by all means, buy Doug Jensen's Vortex Media guide to the EX3. It's now available in a print version you can carry in your camera bag. WELL worth the investment. http://www.vortexmedia.com/FIELD_GUIDES.html

2) replace the stock shotgun mount as soon as you can. it's a horrible design which WILL break off if you use a shotgun the size of a Sennheiser 418 or ME66 or similar mic. plus, if you use a softie on the shotgun, you'll see it creep into the frame at wide angle since the mount is so low. there are lots of options for different shotgun mounts. (I use a Sony CAC-12 I stole off my Betacam)

3) beef up the tripod mount as soon as you can. another horrible design on Sony's part.... the mount on the bottom of the camera is basically plastic, and the camera will not survive a shock while mounted to the tripod without damage or even breaking off from the mount. this is especially critical if you add weight to the camera by using larger batteries, adding a matte box, wireless receivers, etc. DM Accessories makes an outstanding product, and you can even add a shoulder mount if you wish. It also makes the camera MUCH more stable when mounted to a tripod.
http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/ex3-plate

4) if you like using a polarizer (and who doesn't?) you MUST use a circular polarizer on the EX cameras. a linear polarizer will cause very disturbing color shifts from green to magenta as you rotate the filter. this has to do with the type of sensor the camera utilizes, and is not a defect.... but kind of sucks if you already own some good linear polarizers and hoped to use them on the EX. I found this out the hard way.... wish someone had told me sooner!

5) IR contamination. this issue is very real, very frustrating, and WAY too involved to go into here. just know it exists in this camera (the EX is in good company here... it also occurs with the RED, even the new Sony F35) and it can be managed. at the present time, there is no 'perfect' filter to correct for it, but I have been very happy with a Schneider Tru-Cut 680. (mine is a 4x4, but the exact same filter in a 77mm screw-in is called a B&W 486. don't ask why they have different names for the different sizes) the filter is a 'hot mirror' which does an excellent job of correcting for the issue when it appears (which can happen under any lighting condition, and will turn some black fabrics magenta) BUT it MUST be the first filter light hits..... so you cannot put any other filter in front of it. it also has a slight cyan vignette at full wide angle, but I have not found this to be too bad. (it's much more noticeable against a solid light background like white walls. I don't notice it much at all outdoors) If you zoom past about 15mm, the vignette disappears.

I can't help you with the bag (your original inquiry before getting more than you asked for) since I have yet to find one myself. With the COCOEX and V-mount battery, the Sony CAC-12 with a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun with Rycote mounted, a Lectrosonics receiver holder screwed to the side of the COCO, and a mattebox all attached to the camera, I have not yet found a bag large enough (mainly WIDE enough) to accommodate the camera configured this way. I tried the Kata 197 and it didn't work.... and that was the best hope I had. I have since learned that Kata has come out with a new line of bags called 'OMB' for 'one-man-band', and they do now offer one which seems to have the dimensions which will hold my camera with all this crap on it... but it will be too large to carry on a plane.

nothing worthwhile is ever easy.....

good luck, and enjoy your new camera! the EX3 (and EX1) are amazing cameras for the money. I work regularly with a network using XDHD cameras (the 1/2" versions) and the EX literally blows them away for 1/3 the money.
cheers

Return to posts index

Brian Steblen
on Apr 27, 2009 at 6:33:37 pm

Thank you Derek!

Return to posts index

Carl Smith
on May 16, 2009 at 10:34:18 am

Derek, please, please - where did you buy your Schneider Tru-Cut 680 4x4?

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on May 16, 2009 at 3:10:57 pm

Hi, Carl-
I purchased my filter from Filmtools in CA. I don't know if they stock it regularly or not, but I had it within a week or so.
cheers
Derek

Return to posts index

bastiaan amsing
on Jun 4, 2009 at 9:47:57 am

Withe the EX3 ive got a petrol pdrb-3, fits perfect for most of the time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]