FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating a timecode reference DVD from ClipBrowser

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Semeniuk
creating a timecode reference DVD from ClipBrowser
on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:50:38 pm

Hello, friends, I have had a frustrating few weeks fighting with FCP/Kona card/Sony Clipbrowser/Sony XDCam Transfer, trying to devise a way to simply make a reference DVD with timecode burn for clients to view.

One way was to drop all of the imported EX clips to a timeline. While I could do all the usual steps to get this to DVD, the timcode referenced was the TIMELINE timecode and not the clip timecode. I want the clip timecode.

I tried nesting a sequence as I think Craig suggested but again, I only got timeline timecode to follow.

Another way was to drop, one by one, each of the clips into compressor, so that clip timecode would follow. While this worked, it was a royal pain to drop 230 clips one by one into compressor and then set 'em to cook, then import them all into DVD SP to burn a disc.

Another way was to get into the Kona control panel and switch "Timecode Display" on. This function rocked, as the timecode really stood out nicely with a white bg behind black numbers, but alas, the timecode was once again timeline, not clip, timecode.

I thought I read somewhere before I needed to know it(so ignored it) how to make a DVD using Clipbrowser/exporting DV footage from it to make a DVD.

All I want is a DVD with clip timecode the client can use to pick shots.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

Searches have revealed nothing on this as far as using either ClipBrowser or XDCam Transfer to do what I wish.

Thank you for your insight.

I use a Sony EX-1, FCP v6.0.5 on a 2 X 3 Gb Quad core Intel Xeon MacPro with 6 GB of Ram, Kona LHe card with breakout panel, system built in September '08.

I have both Clipbrowser v2.00.001 and XD cam Transfer v2.8.0 installed. I import using XD Cam transfer and don't use ClipBrowser for much at all.

Thanks for any help, folks.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: creating a timecode reference DVD from ClipBrowser
on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:06:16 pm

How are you applying the Timecode Reader effect to your footage? It needs to be applied to each clip individually in order to display the clip's time code. I just did it in FCP and it worked perfectly.

Cf

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:11:41 pm

Well, I just turned it on, and it appeared. But the timecode it carried with it, as I said, was timeline timecode.

What are you doing differently? How are you "applying" it to every clip?

Even if I could get it to work I'm not sure I'm willing to sit through "applying" it to hundreds of clips. I'm looking for the absolute fastest way to do this, if that method exists.

Thanks Clint!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 14, 2009 at 10:20:04 pm

In Final Cut Pro highlight all the clips in the timeline you want to apply visible TC to and apply the timecode reader filter to the selected clips. Not the timecode generator filter. There's 2 of them so be sure you don't get them mixed up:

• 1. TC reader will use each clip's TC and display that on screen. The TC will change for each different clip in the timeline.
  • 2. TC generator will start at the the beginning of your sequence with 00:00:00;00 and use the length of the sequence for its finishing numbers.

- Don

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 16, 2009 at 1:12:35 pm

Sorry, I was out of town from 4am to 5pm yesterday on a grueling shoot, I didn't get a chance to check the forums.

Instead of using a timecode reader or TC burn on the timeline, I drag the "Timecode Reader" effect from the Effects pallete (under Video Filters>Video" to the first clip. Right click on the clip, select Copy. Highlight all your other clips, right-click on one of 'em, select "Paste Attributes," and select "Filters." I think you also need to make sure that "Scale Attribute Times" is checked, but I'm not sure. That may only need to be done for keyframed effects, but I left it checked anyway.

Cf

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:17:17 am

Hmmmm...

I don't have the camera in front of me, but can't you "Play All" off the
camera via SDI to your Kona with "TV Display" set to "On" for the SDI
output?

That way you have correct timecode and can even downconvert and
save as an easy to encode QT file?

Not sure if that helps any.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:27:58 am

Will, I have not yet plugged a cable into that camera. I do all my transfers from the cards and the reader, and as such have not found any reason to let the video play out at real time. I haven't as of yet found a reason to use any other method, especially when the video can be dumped off the cards in mere minutes and I edit HD anyway.

I think no matter how it is sliced, creating these DVD's will take time. Whether its spent towards the end of the project, converting, encoding, and applying filters, or at the beginning, setting camera parameters and playing out the video in real time.

I don't want to have to make a Final Cut project just to get a TC burn DVD, and I do not keep the video on cards either- I have the BPAV folders offloaded and backed up in different places, so I was hoping for a way to create a DVD straight from the BPAV's, whether they are on hard drive or blu ray, depending on what my internal clients need to review.

Thanks for all your help everyone, and thanks Don, I actually thought it was one of your posts I read about creating a DVD from the BPAV/clipbrowser scenario. I guess I was mistaken, but I appreciate, and was hoping for, your input.

Till next time,

Semi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:59:34 am

You'd think between Sony and Apple one would understand the fundamental importance of being able to make a Window Time code dub by using the BPAV as source whether through ClipBrowser or Compressor.

Of course one could hand the clients the source media and Sony ClipBrowser for logging but for many reasons that's not the way one would want to go for such a task.

I do hope someone is working on the ability to use BPAV as source for burn in dubs.

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Apr 18, 2009 at 2:12:49 pm

Actually what I would like to do is output a QT or WMV from clipbrowser that keeps the timecode, that I can email or sneaker-net to my producer. This does not seem possible.

As for the DVD with TC, the quick and dirty way I do it is go composite out from the camera to a DVD recorder, with "display on" set. This gives them too much information but at least the TC is visible.

BTW in Avid, you can lay all your clips in a sequence then put a TC effect on the top empty track, set it to "source" and it will display TC for each clip in real time, no rendering. You can then just play that out to a DVD recorder, or go the usual route of exporting to DVD.

http://www.kilby.tv

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Jun 3, 2009 at 2:07:03 am

I bought a couple of DVD set top recorders a couple of years for just this purpose.

Connecting analog output from camera to recorder, make sure camera screen info is on when camera is in Media mode, insert card with BPAV files, select first clip in multi-clips window, hit record on DVD burner, press play on camera. Camera will play all contents of card.

I'm burning DVDs of newly shot footage for client with timecode as I write. The screen info is ugly but it does give clip number and tc.

The reason I was browsing forum was to check I could reload BPAV files back onto card for burning to DVD. During the course of the shoot I laid them off to a couple of drives so I could reuse the card. Now I need it back and I recall reading this was possible.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Jun 3, 2009 at 12:47:39 pm

Mickey, yes, you can reload a card with BPAV files. The computer sees the SXS cards as a drive so you could just drag and drop. It's best however, to use the Clipbrowser software for transferring because then you can monitor the card contents and get instant confirmation that the files are all good. If you choose to drag and drop confirm the BPAV is uncorrupted by either checking the contents in Clipbrowser or the Sony Transfer software, or even using the camera.

Return to posts index

mark pigott
on Apr 30, 2010 at 5:46:38 pm

Ron Kilby said
"Actually what I would like to do is output a QT or WMV from clipbrowser that keeps the timecode, that I can email or sneaker-net to my producer. This does not seem possible.

As for the DVD with TC, the quick and dirty way I do it is go composite out from the camera to a DVD recorder, with "display on" set. This gives them too much information but at least the TC is visible.

BTW in Avid, you can lay all your clips in a sequence then put a TC effect on the top empty track, set it to "source" and it will display TC for each clip in real time, no rendering. You can then just play that out to a DVD recorder, or go the usual route of exporting to DVD. "

Would this work with playing the 23G contents off disk?
I have a F350 and enabled TC display in the menu
but yet all got was video and no timecode overlay.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]