FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Launches New PDW-F800 Camcorder

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
Sony Launches New PDW-F800 Camcorder
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:54:15 pm

Sony's launched a new camera. Where does that leave the PDW700?

Peter
edit: (Oops. Wrong forum, but an interesting development anyway.)

The new PDW-F800 CineAlta® camcorder and PDW-F1600 deck expand the capabilities of the MPEG HD422 codec, with both offering a frame rate of 23.98P natively in 1080 mode and multi-format recording flexibility as standard – including standard-definition recording to support legacy formats (MPEG IMX®, DVCAM™ and 4:2:0 HD content). They also provide multi-format (1080i/720P) recording, as well as HD/SD conversion and cross-conversion during playback between 1080i and 720P.

“The HD422 version of XDCAM technology responded to customers’ requests for features like 50Mbps recording and 2/3-inch CCDs,” said Wayne Zuchowski, group marketing manager for XDCAM products at Sony Electronics. “These newest products offer cinematographers, broadcasters and video professionals an expanded toolkit of digital production options.”

The PDW-F800 adds variable frame rate recording for slow and quick motion capabilities, also commonly known as “over-cranking” and “under-cranking.” This is a critical feature for cinematographers and directors of photography who need the flexibility of changing frame rates to create unique “looks” for their productions or to create special effects. The ability to shoot at slower or faster frame rates than playback delivers high-quality motion effects. These effects can be played back and viewed in the camera so any creative adjustments can be made immediately on site.

The camcorder uses three of Sony’s new 2/3-inch Power HAD™ FX progressive CCDs that can produce a resolution of 1920 by 1080 effective pixels, delivering high quality, four-channel 24-bit audio recording.

An image inverter feature enables the camera to be used with cinema lens adaptors, and a variety of gamma settings includes HyperGamma and user-selectable gamma curves. A focus assist bar-graph display is visible on the camera’s viewfinder, and users can record proxy data to USB removable media to make transferring data easier and faster, especially in the field or on location between the camera and a PC or editing system, for example.

The new camcorder also features auto tracing white balance hold, output markers such as safety, aspect, and center on the HD-SDI output, slow shutter, interval recording, picture cache recording (up to 30 seconds), disc exchange cache and “shock-less” gain control. Option boards are available to enable pool-feed operation. The camcorder features a 2x digital extender to enhance zoom capabilities, enabling images to be doubled in size without any loss of image sensitivity. It also has slow shutter, 2x focus magnification, clean switching between the “live and playback” function, and a large, easy-to-view 3.5 inch (viewable area, measured diagonally) color LCD screen.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Sony Launches New PDW-F800 Camcorder
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:39:53 pm

I guess that the 700 was a temporary thing.

Just like buying a computer that's out of date the day you take delivery.

Do you have a price point, Peter?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:54:43 pm

Steve,

The PDW700 is not a temporary thing, the new 800 camera will be sold as a higher end, more digital cinema worthy version. You'll notice that the recording formats, imager and DSP are the same in both. The 800 comes with the Standard Def and 24p options that are available in the 700 and the main distinction is the variable speed function, which I believe is compromised by half (540) horizontal resolution in the 1080 60p mode. All the metadata and other such features are included in version 1.5 software which is available free to 700 owners under warranty. You will pay dearly for the variable speed function as this camera will be much more money than the 700 when you figure that the SD option lists for $2100 and the 24p option at $4500 (less $1500 rebate if bought within terms). The 700 will continue to be sold in large numbers (already more than 4000 worldwide) to TV stations and crews that specialize in TV production. For digital cinema 10 bit recording formats will soon be the standard.

JS

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Uh, John...
on Apr 16, 2009 at 6:06:47 am

Sarcasm dude. just like the DSR-250/300/500 - kinda

Meant to be more of a price option difference. Thanks for noticing though.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:53:37 pm

$42,000.00 for the 800.

http://news.creativecow.net/story/861619

- Don

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 16, 2009 at 12:18:44 am

Yeah I think it's 42+ without a VF. I'm told it still has the same lousy down-res slo-mo of the 350/355. I think it confuses the market and upsets 700 owners. The cameras are just too similar in my mind.

Peter

[Steve Wargo] "I guess that the 700 was a temporary thing.

Just like buying a computer that's out of date the day you take delivery.

Do you have a price point, Peter?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD ."

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index