FORUMS: list search recent posts

BAD NEWS for Sandisk 32 class 4

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dano motley
BAD NEWS for Sandisk 32 class 4
on Apr 10, 2009 at 4:42:35 pm

I received new sandisk 32 g class 4 cards from J&R music after returning two of the same to buy.com a few days ago. they also do not format in the ex3 or ex 1 camera. i believe anybody who has them working is using the older type class 2.

worse yet is... i received conformation of this from the owner of MxM adapter cards. The feeling is that sony has had sandisk impliment something on it that makes the cards inoperable with the sony cameras. they recommend trying the transcend 32g class 6 cards, which they will be testing next week.

stay tuned...

Dano

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: BAD NEWS for Sandisk 32 class 4
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:30:23 pm

Hmm, maybe why the cards were out of stock for so long.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:37:58 pm

I'd note that the JVC HM XDCAM EX cameras use SDHC out of the box so I'm not sure how or why Sony would get a card manufacturer to cripple their cards.

It may have just been a manufacturing change which resulted in the incompatibility as most SDHC cards won't work with the camera as it is.

I don't see a competitive business reason Sandisk would hand an advantage to a competitor Transcend.

Does the Sandisk 32GB Ultra 2 card actually show Class four on the surface?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:41:32 pm

Pic of card from packaging from J&R when I bought my card.

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:46:17 pm

Yes the card has a 4 (meaning class 4). also isn't sandisk the other half of the SxS manufacturing?

Sandisk X Sony. I could see why sony would have great interest to cripple this 32 gig card. their sxs card goes for $1500 i think.

Dano

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:03:49 pm

Can you post a screen grab? It might help people identify which is which.

Sandisk is certainly part of SxS.

Sandisk may lose big on this (and even Sony if they'd think about it).
Given one might actually go through MANY Ultra II 32GB as "client stock" which can be handed off or saved as archival, the actual gross sales of Ultra II 32GB can actually exceed the SxS cards.

SxS is a "buy once" proposition whereas Ultra II is almost like tape stock (well not yet but it's heading in that direction).

Certainly the 16GB cards are like tape stock (the Transcends are at least).

Of course if Transcend 32GB works then it'll only result in a shift in purchases and Sandisk will lose further sales.

Keep in mind most people using SDHC cards buy and reuse. The desire to buy and save SDHC is fairly narrow (maybe only EX users) as video professionals may be used to prices of XDCAM Disc and HDCAM tape as consumables. Another byproduct may result in some movement to JVC HM700 (despite the 1/3" chips) given one can use SDHC to their full extent and price benefit.

Return to posts index

Stuart Cummings
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:49:45 pm

I can confirm that the Transcend 32 gig SDHC class 6 cards do work with the MXM card adapters using the Sony EX-1 and the EX-3.We bought 10 of these 2 weeks ago and they worked and formatted flawlessly on the first try. We have a crew shooting in Panama in the jungle and on the water this past 10 days with no problems whatsoever!! Thought everyone would like to know. Stuart Cummings Watermark Productions

Return to posts index

Stuart Cummings
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:52:39 pm

I should add that the Transcend cards were purchased from the Transcend web site. They were kinda pricey-i think they were about 140 each but don't quote me on the price. Stuart

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Apr 10, 2009 at 7:25:16 pm

sorry did not see the next post...my mistake. i will check the transcend site...thanks

dano

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Good News Transcend 32 Gig
on Apr 11, 2009 at 4:49:45 am

These negative subject lines need to end. Speculation is like gossip.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Good News Transcend 32 Gig
on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:15:27 am

Dano does note he got Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 from two different source and none of them could format. I've since heard from someone else who just purchased those cards and also found none of them would format. So I don't think this is speculation.

As to why they don't work, that's speculation though.

It really seems to be pointing towards the fact that the Class 4 cards can't format although the older Class 2 (no longer available) do work.

Yes, good news that Transcend 32GB work though.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 11, 2009 at 4:44:55 pm

Looks like they (Transcend) have the 16GB for $48. Newegg has the 16GB for $36.99 with free shipping. Two card limit.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:09:09 pm

Here is where I purchase my cards. Yes they have gone up in price by $10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208377

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

dano motley
Sandisk 32 class 4 does not work in the Sony ex3
on Apr 11, 2009 at 2:50:44 pm

Mike Palmer,

Speculation?

Purchased 2 sandisk 32 class 4 cards from buy.com. tried them in two different ex 3's and 1 ex 1 with all of the cameras refusing to format them. Each were tried in the different ways suggested by members of this list.

Spoke with and tested the cards with the owner and head tech person at MxM. He finds the cards to be faulty.

Purchased 2 sandisk 32 class 4 cards from j&r music.com. tried them in two different ex 3's and 1 ex 1 with all of the cameras refusing to format them. Each were tried in the different ways suggested by members of this list.

Again I spoke with the owner of MxM and gleaned that the cards still do not work. The educated guess is that they were governed in some way not to work with the sony ex3. It does seem logical that with sony and sandisk making the SxS cards at @ 15 times the prices as the MxR/MxM hack, they would find a way to refine the card to not allow a huge loss in their profits. Its kind of what the printer manufactures are going through with other ink companies offering compatiable ink cartidges for 20% of what you would purchase a brand name ink cartidge for. When companies battle like this the winner is usually the consumer.

What more do you need Mike? If it walks like a duck(in this case it does not) and quacks like a duck...it probably is a duck....

Dano

PS...I ordered the transcend 32 cards from transcendusa.com for 118 each. i will post my findings when i receive them.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 11, 2009 at 6:41:17 am

[Stuart Cummings] "They were kinda pricey-i think they were about 140 each"

I wouldn't call that pricey - comparativly speaking, that is.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Stuart Cummings
on Apr 11, 2009 at 4:23:06 pm

I meant kinda pricey as compared to the transcend 16 gig class 6 cards
and the fact that the Transcend cards can be found cheaper than on the transcend web site.

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Apr 10, 2009 at 7:24:23 pm

Stuart,

where did you purchase the cards from please?

Dano

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 11, 2009 at 1:44:24 am

yes, I think that there are very strange manoeuvres in the dark.
It seems that the SanDisk Class 6 just disappear.
I've ordered "Class 6" one month ago to Amazon but I've got posted "Class 4".
In the JVC web site they insist about "Class 6" for the JVC HM700.
In fact says:
"Class 6 cards are required. If a class 2 or 4 card is inserted, a warning indicator will be displayed".
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:21:03 pm

What is the difference between SDHC HD Video Card (class 6) and SDHC (High-Capacity) Class 6?
Transcend sells both at similar prices.

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/product_memory.asp?Cid=92&indexnum=2

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:22:05 pm

What is the difference between SDHC HD Video Card (class 6) and SDHC (High-Capacity) Class 6?
Transcend sells both at similar prices.

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/product_memory.asp?Cid=92&indexnum=2

Bob

Return to posts index

Eli Hollander
on Apr 13, 2009 at 7:49:48 pm

Is it really confirmed that the new Sandisk 32GB cards don't work? I am expecting a shipment of 32GB Sandisk Extreme II from Buy.com; and if they indeed not work, I will refuse delivery and get the Transcend 32GB.

Thanks for all the helpful tips from so many of you.

Eli

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Apr 13, 2009 at 7:53:20 pm

these cards (sandisk 32 class 4) do not work. had two shipments. one from buy.com one from jrmusic.com. all four seemed to have been made not to format in the ex1 or ex 3 cameras...i wonder why?

Dano

ps. i order the transcend on thursday. will let all know what happens..good luck...

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 13, 2009 at 11:26:00 pm

Has anyone called Sandisk to get their take on this?
There was also a rumor floating around a couple of months ago that Sony was changing something in their firmware to disable the use of these cards. Supposedly, if you took your camera in for repair, when you got it back, the cards would no longer work. I never heard anything more about this after the initial report, so I figured it was false.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 13, 2009 at 11:44:18 pm

Other cards are working fine. People reporting this have not got their camera's back from Sony service recently.

This is a change that Sandisk implemented.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:26:47 am

"This is a change that Sandisk implemented"

And what does Sandisk have to say about this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:57:15 pm

[Chris Babbitt] ""This is a change that Sandisk implemented"

And what does Sandisk have to say about this? "

I'm not sure they'd have anything to say about this. Given they also make SxS (Sony and Sandisk) there certainly may have been pressure but it could just be coincidental. I don't think they have a motive or reason to say anything.

On the other hand I just heard from someone who bought 3 Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 cards (that's the new ones rather than the older Class 2 which I use) and said all 3 formated in his EX1 without issue.

He bought them from Adorama (located in NYC).

http://www.adorama.com/IDSU15SD32G.html

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 14, 2009 at 4:04:22 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I just heard from someone who bought 3 Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 cards"
Format the cards is not a problem (BTW I format them in the Mac before re-formating in the camera), but the two cards that let me down the last week they were SanDisk Ultra II Class 4.
Luckily I've recover the clips with the help of a PC. Well, with the help of "Windows in a Mac".
If I keep on working with the SanDisk Class 4 I'm afraid i will need to re-install Bootcamp.
What we will have to fallow are the JVC consumers.
As I pointed before, JVC insist in "Class 6". Supposedly you can even over-crank with them.
In theyr web site JVC shows a 32GBs SDHC card but no brand.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Eli Hollander
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:13:15 pm

Hello Everyone,
Any more information confirming that 32GB Transcend cards work well?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:29:52 pm

should have a few of them first thing tomorrow. i will post the results...

Dano

Return to posts index

cow
Stuart Cummings
on Apr 16, 2009 at 5:25:02 pm

Hello Eli,
As i said in an earlier post we have had 10 cards working in wet hot humid conditions for the past three weeks and have had no problems. We have been downloading to the Nexto 500 gig devices and they seem to be trouble free as well. They formatted on the first try and have been solid so far!

It's out of date five minutes after you bought it! So hurry up and use it!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]