FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt media can it be recovered?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Gillet
Corrupt media can it be recovered?
on Apr 9, 2009 at 1:49:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm working with a client who recently shot a doc HD using Ex 3 camera and is cutting the piece in an Avid current release. Most everything came in fine using Avid's new feature that just reads the media off the drives. One file is not working. It will show maybe 15 sec. of video if you scroll through the clip. The rest of the clip is marked Offline. The other strange thing is in the Avid the Clip is saying it's over 2 hours and I've been told that it may be a few minutes long and in is not possible to be over 2 hours in length.

I've asked them to try and view this through sony's clip browser to see if it comes back but I'm under the impression it probably won't.

The media was originally copied to an external Drive than backed up to an extra drive for safety. Both versions are having the same issue.

Is there some way to recover this file such as what they have for P2 files? OR is this file a lost cause.

Thanks,
Jason Gillet

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Corrupt media can it be recovered?
on Apr 9, 2009 at 1:57:38 pm

Is there a chance this clip spans 2 cards?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jason Gillet
on Apr 9, 2009 at 2:03:49 pm

You know I'm not sure but it could be possible. If that were the case how would you deal with that in the Avid Scenario? The way the project was set up. They took each BPAV file and enclosed it in it's own file so that it has a "tape name" In avid you just select the file you want to reference and the media shows up. I have no clue how to deal with a BPAV file that was spanned to another BPAV file if that's the case.

Jason Gillet
Gillet Productions
Editor/Engineer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 9, 2009 at 2:13:59 pm

Proper workflow for Avid would be to copy clips with Sony ClipBrowser with CRC on to hard drive. CRC may have caught a potential bad copy. ClipBrowser can then be used to rewrap to MXF.

Sony's Avid Media Composer Instructions

A single MP4 can be no longer than 4GB (I'm seeing about 3.4GB) or about 13:50. They can be joined into larger clips if they are spanned or split. In FCP I've had clips rewrapped into durations over 3 hours and they can certainly be much longer (camera continuous record across many cards).

Go to page 30 in the above PDF and it'll explain how to handle spanned/split clips. See if that's the case first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]