FORUMS: list search recent posts

using macdrive with clip browser

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Kukla
using macdrive with clip browser
on Apr 9, 2009 at 10:17:29 am

anyone using MacDrive to transfer files from EX cards, through a PC with clipbrowser and into a Mac formatted hard drive??

I asked MediaFour tech support and got this:

MacDrive will allow you to copy files to and from a Mac disk without issue in Windows. It is when you add another program into the mix that issues may arise due to the specific methods that software uses to interact with disks.

In other words, if you connected a USB hard drive formatted for Mac, you could use Windows to browse the disk, copy files to and from the disk, and so on. However, we cannot guarantee that every application will work properly with that disk (opening a file on that disk within an application, or otherwise interacting with the disk, may not work in rare cases).

These cases are atypical as the drive is given a normal drive letter and is accessible through Windows' normal channels for disks. Unfortunately, some applications assume that a connected disk will belong to a certain subset of file systems (e.g. NTFS, FAT32) and may crash or otherwise fail when finding a Mac formatted (e.g. HFS+ disk).

Seems rather vague. I think they have not tested this specific application and don't want to guarantee it's effectiveness.

For this discussion, I want to leave out the idea of formatting the drive in NTFS or FAT32. Lets stick to the idea of a Mac formatted drive plugged into a PC laptop with the Sony Clipbrowser doing the file transfer.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: using macdrive with clip browser
on Apr 10, 2009 at 10:36:47 am

Hi Ed,
i don't think the HD will be an issue.
However you may have problems with the media you download.
When you download EX-1 footage in a PC it get packed as MXF while when you download to a MAC the footage gets packed as .mov.
I think you will need some extra software to work with the MXF files in a MAC.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

(and here some clips for the friends: http://www.vimeo.com/2694745 )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]