FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDcam footage ratio to harddrive space

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Kerfeld
XDcam footage ratio to harddrive space
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:54:40 am

I have a DP that has recommended 2 500 GB drives to our director for a short film...one serving as an untouched "negative" and one as a working drive. The final film will be 10-15 minutes and will involve several days of shooting. She is now worried it might not be enough.

My question: How many hours of XDCam footage can be captured to a 500 GB hard drive (And I would assume only filling it to 320GB or so as to maintain drive integrity)? Ex-1 camera, 1080p24. Take your pick as far as codecs.

Just curious what kind of ballpark estimate (hour-wise) I could give the DP for a drive that size. It's her first ex-1 film and I haven't shot anything in 1080p on the ex myself.

I was pleasantly surprised last summer when I shot an entire short film in 720p and everything was under 60GB (I'm guessing around 2-4 hours of footage altogether). Back then I used the xdcam transfer software but I noticed now you can do it via FCP log and transfer as you would P2?

....I have very little experience regarding ex-1 workflow, but anyone who could address the problem above would be greatly appreciated. links also welcome.

Thanks,
JK

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: XDcam footage ratio to harddrive space
on Apr 7, 2009 at 4:02:52 am

If you are recording in HQ (35Mbps) each 16 gig card is about an hour of footage. So 320 gigs is about 20 hours of footage.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 7, 2009 at 4:14:33 am

JK,

Here's a link to a great widget for calculating drive space. (It's free!)

http://www.digital-heaven.co.uk/a5hwof/VideoSpace.wdgt.zip?id=us4jsv

Using this tool, I came up with the following results:

320 gigs = 20 hours (with 4 ch audio)

Or, you can just use Michael's "16 gig/hour" figure.
Mark

Return to posts index

Jordan Kerfeld
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:04:38 pm

Michael and Mark--

Thanks for the knowledge! Much appreciated.

Best,
JK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]