FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HM700UXT vs SONY EX-3 (crosspost)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat McGowan
JVC GY-HM700UXT vs SONY EX-3 (crosspost)
on Apr 4, 2009 at 7:34:45 pm

JVC GY-HM700UXT VERSUS SONY EX-3. Discuss?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: JVC GY-HM700UXT vs SONY EX-3 (crosspost)
on Apr 4, 2009 at 8:32:42 pm

[Pat McGowan] "VC GY-HM700UXT"
Nice shoulder mount.
Supposedly can overcrank on SDHC.
Only 1/3" chips though and that's a big downside for me.

[Pat McGowan] "SONY EX-3"
1/2' chips for more Depth of Field control.

NAB is coming up so Sony might have more stuff coming in the shoulder mount EX area.

Return to posts index

Bobby Cullipher
on Apr 6, 2009 at 4:38:28 pm

Has anyone had the op to shoot with the new JVC? I currently have the EX3. It feels fairly clumsy due to its weight distribution, the colors lack richness, and it doesn’t perform very well in low light conditions. I normally have to use FCPs 3-way color correction to boost colors and level for everything I shoot. However, I have found that in the rare occasion where we have time to light the scene really well, the cameras image is quite nice. These things, and Sony’s price point on their memory cards, makes me want to find an alternative for my next purchase... we’re buying 3 new camera rigs. Any feedback on the new JVC would be great.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:11:11 pm

Apparently you're not using the EX3 properly.

I have EX1 (same chips) and it's a low light CHAMP. 1/2" chips generally perform much better in low light than 1/3" chips. I've shot outside, at night, in available NYC light at -3db. Looks fine . . . and the colors look spectacular.
http://www.vimeo.com/1066619

Return to posts index

Bobby Cullipher
on Apr 6, 2009 at 8:25:33 pm

Thanks... but I asked for feedback on the JVC Camera, not your opinion on whether or not I’m properly using the EX3.

We love the EX3 for what it is... but we’re more familiar with the image quality of DVCPro 50 and HD. The EX3 was our first non-shoulder mount/smaller chip purchase; it is a bit different than a 2/3” image. But again, the EX3 is a great camera. We’re not expecting equal results as DVCPro HD from this level of camera, but we want to improve in the areas I noted earlier. So, I greatly appreciate any feedback on the JVC. Thanks to all!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 6, 2009 at 9:40:52 pm

I think this DCV Pro HD is really a 960x720 resolution from those 2/3 inch CCD's and is interpolated up to 1280x720 resolution, the EX series is a true 1920x1080 chip set. IMO these 1/2 CMOS sensors are much better than those old 2/3 CCD's you think so highly of. Panasonic is moving on to 3-MOS (CMOS) chips and higher HD format resolution. Until you move up to the HPX-3000 the Sony units IMO are a better deal.

If you really need to compare something else to the Sony you may want to include the HPX-300 Panasonic. Yet another 1/3 inch chip set.

I can't imagine you are having low light issues with the EX.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 6, 2009 at 11:00:35 pm

Folks, I already own a Panny HDX900 and HVX200 so I am already a DVCPRO HD fan. As the thread header suggests, I am looking for a discussion comparing the new JVC GY-HM700UXT and the SONY EX-3.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 6, 2009 at 11:40:49 pm

IMO there is only one choice, the EX3 for the 1/2 sensors, the viewfinder, the remote RM-B150 paint box port, the Fujinon ACM-21 2/3 lens adapter option and the use of the MxR/SDHC media card solution.

When a 2/3 unit comes out at these prices it will be the new sheriff in town, until then the EX3 stands alone.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 7, 2009 at 12:00:06 am

[Bobby Cullipher] "It feels fairly clumsy due to its weight distribution, the colors lack richness, and it doesn’t perform very well in low light conditions."

I suspect the JVC HM700 is better balanced. While I haven't tried it I did test an HD250 a while back and I certainly liked the shoulder mount.

Color richness is something one changes in the picture profile which is why we suspect you're not understanding this or taking advantage of this. Color to taste in camera.

Basic camera technology would indicate that 1/2" chips camera would preform better in low light than the 1/3" chips camera the HM700 has. Of course if the chips where significantly lower resolution it might be more sensitive but then you get . . . . lower resolution. Of course a 2/3" chip camera can have better light sensitivity but that's not the HM700. If you don't like smaller chips the HM700 is decidedly the wrong direction for you.

[Bobby Cullipher] "We’re not expecting equal results as DVCPro HD from this level of camera"

DVCProHD is a format, not a camera. The EX certainly outperforms DVCProHD in MANY respects. Even Panasonic is moving away from DVCPorHD to AVCHD and AVCIntra depending on the camera. I'm not going to get into a codec battle here but the EX can look BETTER than some DVCProHD cameras. It certainly resolves to a much higher resolution than the HVX200 and has better low light performance too. A Varicam would certainly be more competitive but the older ones couldn't shoot 1080p if memory serves me.

[Bobby Cullipher] "These things, and Sony’s price point on their memory cards, makes me want to find an alternative"

Sony EX with MxR or MxM adaptor can use Transcend SDCH Class 6 card for under $40 which are the same SDHC cards that work in the JVC HM series.

So to state another way:
EX 1/2" chips cameras will likely have better low light performance than JVC HM700 1/3" chips unless those 1/3" chips have a very low pixel count which certainly is going to hurt resolution.

Color is what you make it. Customize at will.

HM700 has a good shoulder mount if that's your priority. There are some descent 3rd party shoulder mounts for the EX though.

SDHC cards work in BOTH cameras so the price is the same.

Both EX and HM use XDCAM EX codec so there's no difference there.

Return to posts index

Bobby Cullipher
on Apr 7, 2009 at 4:00:30 pm

Really good info! Thanks to all. I read some forums several months ago on some guys trying to figure out a way to get around the $$$ Sony cards, but didn't see where there was a sure fix. Def going to look into this! We have 11 cameras, so Sony card purchase/replacement has been a problem. We also purchased the shoulder mount and wedge to enable the use of a quick release plate... huge improvement on stability. Total investment was around $400. http://shop.dm-accessories.com/collections/ex-camcorder-products

I just read that the JVC will not have Genlock... so, I will most likely HAVE to go with the EX3 again, as the new purchase is for a multicamera setup. That blows!

I'm sure you've read it, but here's a decent article on the JVC. http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/jvcprohd/hm700firstlook.php

Again. Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]