FORUMS: list search recent posts

filming bat mitzvah 1st event with pmw ex1 advice?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Quintano
filming bat mitzvah 1st event with pmw ex1 advice?
on Apr 4, 2009 at 4:30:42 am

Hi everyone Tomorrow I will be using my sony PMW EX1 for the first time at this reception hall http://www.portobellonj.com/frontpage.php
no ceremony juts party footage. Does anyone have any advice on what I settings I should shoot at if Im going to down convert this one to standard for DVD burn.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: filming bat mitzvah 1st event with pmw ex1 advice?
on Apr 4, 2009 at 11:26:56 pm

I don't think there's a bat mitzvah setting although, unlike a wedding, you don't have to use the don't overexpose the bride's gown setting. On the other hand if it were a bar mitzvah you certainly would have to use the don't get soda sprayed on the lens setting.

EX is great in low light but you'll have to make sure your LCD is set properly because if you've used DV and especially most HDV cameras you may set the gain higher than you need.

I'd avoid 24p personally if you tend to pan quickly otherwise the judder may be bothersome.

Interlace will buy more light sensitivity if you need it. On the other hand if there are shots you know you want slow mo then 720p24/60 could look nice.

On the other hand, although interlace will buy you more light sensitivity, some find downconverting from 720p to Standard Def looks better as it can avoid line twitter.

If you're shooting outside if it's during the day and the weather's nice, ignore the above comments about low light.

As you might have guessed there's no "right" or "best" settings. It's deciding what you want to do aesthetically and knowing what limits (and advantages) it brings.

some might say the choices are:
1080i for light sensitivity and temporal motion (avoid judder)
720p for cleaner/easier downconvert
720p24 or p30 for overcrank options
And I'm sure some can argue differently for each of the above and a few other options.

Return to posts index

Anthony Quintano
on Apr 5, 2009 at 2:54:00 pm

Thank you craig. I must have just missed your post because I didnt get to see it before I left. I shot the whole thing the way I got the camera 1080/60. I know this isnt the best way to shoot an event with a brand new camera but unfortunately I had no choice. Now the next step is learning how to properly setup my final cut pro setup to edit this properly. The client has an HDTV but no blu ray player. So obviously I have to downconvert and be able to burn on a standard dvd.
Im knew to all this frame rate hd talk so im sorry if i sound like a moron I just dont know where else to go to get advice. I appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Anthony Quintano
http://www.quintanomedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2009 at 3:38:17 pm

Use Easy Setup XDCAM EX 1080i60 VBR
or when you drop the first clip on the timeline it'll ask if you want the sequence to match and say yes.
Make sure you set your render preference to Apple ProRes.

Edit HD and downconvert when you're done.
I think there are more theories on how to do the downconvert then there are EX owners so you may want to test a few with a small section.

There are many ways to deliver an HD file though depending on what other ways your client has to play the file. A high quality H.264 encode can be played from a computer to HDTV with a DVI to HDMI cable for example.

Make sure you understand how to use ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer BEFORE you do anything. Read those manuals (as poorly written as they are) first and read the Sony FCP workflow on the Sony Support page (which is also poorly written). Sony does a horrible job of explaining workflow.

Clipbrower to hard drive
backup BPAV to whatever (another hard drive or optical disc, etc), THE ENTIRE BPAV UNTOUCHED!
XDCAM Transfer Tool to rewrap to MOV for FCP (or you can use FCP Log & Transfer after downloading Sony FCP plugin).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]