FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you backup BPAVs or Transcoded files and why?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Do you backup BPAVs or Transcoded files and why?
on Apr 3, 2009 at 5:59:51 pm

I just wanted some insight from those more experienced with using this camera (and other solid-state camera systems) regarding backups.

Currently I am backing up the BPAV folders to hard drives that I put in Granite silicone sleaves. I've occasionally done backups of the transcoded files. I know that by keeping the BPAVs future proof the transcoder needs to always be available down the road, but the same can be said for the transcoded quicktime files - the codec would still need to be available.

Just looking for some good insights, pluses and minuses if any.

Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Do you backup BPAVs or Transcoded files and why?
on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:20:47 pm

Good that you're backing up the BPAV although I don't trust hard drives as the sole or primary backup. Too many things go wrong with them over time even when they're not used frequently . . . some would say that's even a causative factor. Ultimately all backups have some risks involved.

I don't backup the rewrapped although that couldn't hurt if you don't mind the extra step.
The BPAV is more "portable" (can get you to more wrappers as needed).
Rewrapp is so fast that I don't mind going back to the BPAV when needed. Given that ClipBrowser (and even VLC) can view the source files, it's fairly easy to go through and select specific clips if you need to view and or rewrap to MOV (or MXF).

Given that the new JVC XDCAM EX cameras default to MOV though I'm wondering if that may offer a new direction. Sure one can get the camera to record MP4 but I'm wondering if we'll start to see more apps that'll handle the MOV as source and allow that to be rewraped to MXF or back to MP4. Note that FCP (with the Sony add ons) can Save an EX sequence as MP4 now (rather than just MOV).

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
Re: Do you backup BPAVs or Transcoded files and why?
on Apr 7, 2009 at 5:57:32 pm

I backup the BPAV folders to mirrored RAIDs. The edited programs are also backed up to mirrored RAIDs as well as a third solitary drive just in case.

The files are so large that hard drives are the most economical and fastest method of storage and retrieval.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]