FORUMS: list search recent posts

data recovery

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Marshall
data recovery
on Apr 1, 2009 at 10:11:43 pm

After trashing BPAV folder had to retrieve data and reconstitute clips but can't import clips into clip browser, any ideas on how to play MP4 files?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: data recovery
on Apr 3, 2009 at 4:54:52 pm

[James Marshall] "After trashing BPAV folder"

And didn't you back up the BPAV folders or do you generally trash camera masters?

[James Marshall] " how to play MP4 files?"
Are you trying to play them or trying to use them in an NLE?

VLC will play them.
ClipBrowser (use 2.5) can import orphaned MP4 by using File/Import.
If you're on a Mac, XDCAM Transfer can import orphaned MP4 and rewrap to MOV.

Don't take this too personally but:
So many people are tossing BPAV that I can't help but believe that there's some entity telling people to do this. I can't fathom any person coming to the conclusion that BPAV can be tossed on their own. Back in the days of BetaSP, while I saw some bad tape handling (like putting them next to degaussers), I don't recall anyone taking off the plastic shell and just saving the tape spools.

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Apr 7, 2009 at 11:43:02 pm

Thank you Craig, certainly have learn't a lesson with BPAV. Unfortunatlely even thought the data recovery service has retrived data it still will not open MP4 files any ideas why not?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 7, 2009 at 11:49:42 pm

Did you try VLC as Craig mentioned?
Are these large mp4 files? The reason I ask is that if they are then they may play properly, and not have lost any frames.

You should be able to reconstruct a new BPAV with those files using the latest Sony Clip Browser version. I haven't had to do this yet but I'm sure Craig can instruct you.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Apr 7, 2009 at 11:55:58 pm

Michael, we did try VLC no luck, the clip size vary from 150mb to 3gb. Also tried clip browser 2.5
xdcam tranasfer, serveral media recovery soft ware as well, I think some vital code is missing from the MP4 clips?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 8, 2009 at 11:15:08 am

Scavenged files may sometimes work and sometimes not ... what may be perceived to be a valid file container to the typical recovery software might be either complete rubbish or perhaps only a part of the file,and /or the contained data may or may not contain a valid structure or index that would make it recognizable if actually "opened". If these masters are irreplaceable and if all else has failed then you may need to look to more specialized recovery means such as the "Treasured" app and the skilled and manually intensive "Movie Repair Service" ... both are offered by AeroQuartet: http://aeroquartet.com/

Good luck
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]