FORUMS: list search recent posts

BPAV's to USB stick- possible?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Semeniuk
BPAV's to USB stick- possible?
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:21:57 pm

Anyone tried transferring a BPAV file to a USB memory stick? I was unaware that the shoot I have tomorrow will be edited in California. I don't have a portable hard drive I am willing to send along for the ride. Will 16 or 32Gb memory sticks handle the BPAV getting copied to it?

Thanks, I hope this hasn't been answered before but I found nothing in the search. I don't wish to spend the money on these if it's not going to work.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: BPAV's to USB stick- possible?
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:38:25 pm

You don't have MxR adaptors?
http://e-films.com.au/

You can use that in the camera and record to Transcend 16GB SDHC cards which cost around $30 and hand to client.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 5:27:03 pm

Nope- I use this type of camera at work, with no need for such adaptor yet.

I have looked into purshasing a couple, but you know, my head starts to swim when I read the "He said- she said" on the reliability of the aftermarket cards, the "I wouldn't trust those in the field" kind of comments, etc.

I haven't got the firmware update either, to accept the 32GB and aftermarket card.

What I have works well for me until i get into this type of stuff- doing favors for a friend that has issues not seen in the tape world.

I know that's why tape still lives. For old schoolers like me it's just easier to hand over a consumable that you trust and are familiar with.

I know tape has issues but lots of advantages too, the ability to hand it off being one of them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 5:44:57 pm

[Robert Semeniuk] "I have looked into purshasing a couple, but you know, my head starts to swim when I read the "He said- she said" on the reliability of the aftermarket cards, the "I wouldn't trust those in the field" kind of comments, etc. "

It's tested proven reliable. Both MxR and MxM have tested and verified plus scores of people on this and other forums.

[Robert Semeniuk] "I haven't got the firmware update either, to accept the 32GB and aftermarket card. "
You should. $100 should be the stopper. On the other hand having your camera out of service while Sony takes 3 weeks for a 20 minute procedure is certainly cause for pause.

[Robert Semeniuk] "What I have works well for me until i get into this type of stuff- doing favors for a friend that has issues not seen in the tape world. "
You don't have any clients who as for "the tape" immediately after the shoot? Between the $30 cost for 16GB cards vs the hassle of having to copy files to (fill in the blank with cost of expensive media and the time it takes to copy the file) I can't understand any reluctance (except Sony's friggen slow turnaround time!).

[Robert Semeniuk] "I know that's why tape still lives."
It's End of Life across the industry. It's SDHC for everything up to "mid level" otherwise it's SxS, P2, XDCAM disk. You're not seeing any new tape (or tape only) cameras from Sony or Panasonic and I expect Canon will join that at NAB. Red, Thomson GV, etc. also are tapeless.

Even for "lower" formats I'd hand a client a DL-DVD or DVD data disc before tape. No dropouts, no deck compatibility issues. There is no reason for tape to live as a acquisition media. Broadcast still requires it for long form (but not necessarily for spots, I've been delivering MPEG-2 Program Streams for broadcast). But we're talking about deliver, not acquisition.

[Robert Semeniuk] "For old schoolers like me it's just easier to hand over a consumable that you trust and are familiar with. "
Trust? I've been in this industry for nearly 30 years from video editor to facility video engineer and I do not trust tape at all!
SDHC is reliable. As I said, no dropouts, no deck needed. You can get the reader from any local consumer electronic store, photo store, heck, even the local drug store in my neighborhood.

[Robert Semeniuk] "I know tape has issues but lots of advantages too, the ability to hand it off being one of them."
No advantage. None. Zero for acquisition. You can hand a client an SDHC card. XDCAM disc too but they need the proper player for that. Long form program hand off is the last remaining issue and I don't doubt that may change within a year or so.

Return to posts index

Ralph Keyser
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:52:14 pm

It works fine, although you'll need a laptop or something to copy the files off the camera and then onto the USB stick. It's all just data in that BPAV folder, and as long as your memory stick has enough room, you can copy as much as will fit. If my math is correct, 32GB will handle just under 4 hours of HQ footage at normal speeds.

And yes, you should check out the MxR reader/adapter gadgets. SDHC cards are going to be cheaper than USB sticks to be giving away :)

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 6:02:35 pm

Great, Thanks Ralph. I won't be giving this (or these) sticks away, they will be shipped back to me. I feel better about these things surviving the trip than a hard drive, maybe that's just me.

I'll be offloading the files at my friends Mac editing house.

You're right about the cost though. I just might look into a smallish one for this project, if the cost of 2 sticks is prohibitive as compared to a small drive.

Anyone got any recommendations? I have to be able to buy it locally as I need it tomorrow. I read about one called Apricot or something, available at Office Depot, Mac compatible.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 6:24:53 pm

Why not dump off to an SD card or maybe a CF card?

For file copy, rather than acquisition, you can go very inexpensive on this. You won't even need SDHC.
Keep to a name brand like Sandisk, Transcend, Kensington at a local store and should work fine.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 7:34:37 pm

Craig, I have to admit I am still learning when it comes to the computer side of things. In asking me the questions you did you assume I know what an SD or CF card is and how to use it, which, unfortunately, I don't.

Yes, the most economical method possible would be great as this is a "one-off".

Can you explain further, and walk me through a workflow for getting this done? Where would I find either of these cards and how are they read? My MacPro does not have any slots , just different plug receptacles on the front- USB, Firewire 400 and 800.

Thanks for any further help. I'm glad I read this as I was just about to run out and buy a USB powered drive- 320 Gb. Maybe I won't have to.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 8:28:52 pm

SD = Secure Digital
SDHC = Secure Digital High Capacity
CD = Compact Flash

You'll have to price hunt but here's a good variety and typical prices
16GB Flash Card Prices from NewEgg
Again you can find cards in any consumer electronics or office supply store and even drug stores. Basically any place people might be a photo camera these days.

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 31, 2009 at 8:57:50 pm

Ralph posted that a 32g card would hold 4 hours. I think a 16g card holds 54 minutes so a 32 should hold just under 2 hours.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:10:55 pm

Thanks guys. I am still unclear as to how these cards are read. Do I have to buy a reader/writer? I don't see any slots on this MacPro of mine...

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:29:53 pm

Craig

Where did you find Transcend 16G for $30?? I found them for $38.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:40:48 pm

Well thanks guys but I'm outta time.
I'm gonna go and look around and see what I come up with. Some of those flash cards are as much as a drive, so I may go that route too.

Appreciate your input, and I hope I can figure out how to mount those cards if thats the route I choose!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:52:54 pm

[Robert Semeniuk] "Some of those flash cards are as much as a drive, "
????!!!!
You can find hard drive with enclosure for $35?

Although if you have more than a couple of 16GB cards worth of data a hard drive might be more cost effective (but riskier in transport).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:48:27 pm

Prices of all Flash media are climbing quickly.
I actually had seen Transcend 16GB Class 6 SDCH bottom out at about $24. Just a little over a week ago I saw them just over $30. Now $38 is more typical.

Transcend 16GB SDHC Prices

NewEgg (very reputable) has them at $35.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:50:46 pm

[Robert Semeniuk] "Do I have to buy a reader/writer?"
Yes. They're very inexpensive though. $30 or less. Available at any office supply or consumer electronics store. In some cases the card will come with the reader for the equivalent of about $7 more.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:02:33 pm

Thanks Craig. When i said the cards can be as much as the drive I meant the other way. On the linked page I saw cards for over $120 and small 250Gb USB drives are the same price.

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge everyone.

I appreciate it and will see what I can come up with.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:09:20 pm

Yes larger cards are disproportionately higher prices.

For example
Transcend 16GB is $35
Sandisk 32GB can be close to $150 (back when you could find them in stock).

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Apr 1, 2009 at 12:12:00 am

I get 28 minutes per 8 GB. So 32 GB holds 112 minutes of HQ footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]