FORUMS: list search recent posts

Could someone explain the MxM option???

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
Could someone explain the MxM option???
on Mar 31, 2009 at 3:03:30 am

Hey guys,
I was looking on ebay for SxS cards and stumbled upon the MxM adapter to be used with a SDHC card... found their homepage at http://mxmexpress.com/
Could someone explain this option to me... does it work? Why wouldn't everyone use this option? I guess it just sounds too good to be true and just wanted some input on it.
thanks guys
jared

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Could someone explain the MxM option???
on Mar 31, 2009 at 3:24:51 am

Use of SDHC memory is a real option for both the EX1 and EX3 cameras. Early EX1 units need a firmware update to ensure compatibility.

I believe the MxM brand was created because the MxR brand and partnership broke up however both brands are equal as they use the same manufacturer to make these readers.

I purchased the first MxR readers and they have been excellent together with the Transcend class 6 16 gig SDHC cards.

If you research MxR/SDHC you will find many posts on what this combination can and can't do.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ralph Keyser
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:44:46 pm

I've had good results from my MxR readers and Transcend 16gig SDHC card combo as well. They've worked flawlessly for all the normal speed recording on my EX3. Do be aware that there are some limitations with these adapters. Since they are not as fast as the real SxS cards, you can't use them for overcranked shots. So, you'll probably want a couple of SxS cards, but there is no reason not to use the MxM/MxR SDHC solution. The SDHC cards are cheap enough (on par with HD video tape) that you could just put them on the shelf when they've been shot, or hand them to the client at the end of the day.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:41:46 pm

[Jared Smith] "Why wouldn't everyone use this option?"

Only because they don't know about it.
I've been using MxR (see Michael's post next to this).

Works fine with 16GB Transcend or Sandisk SDHC cards.
I've been using with two 32 GB Sandisk cards for nearly 4 hours of record time.

Basically overcranking doesn't work but normal recording works fine. At about $30 for 16GB card you can even hand them to client or save them as camera masters if you're so inclined.

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:01:00 pm

Be aware that there are counterfit SD cards out there. Make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer. The counterfit cards work but are not fast enough to work with the high data rates of video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]