FORUMS: list search recent posts

Air Travel with EX1 and gear. Need help and advice!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wing poon
Air Travel with EX1 and gear. Need help and advice!
on Mar 30, 2009 at 5:12:38 am

Hello everyone!

On April 6th, I will be travelling to Japan for a three-month trip. I will be taking my brand-new EX1 and gear. However, I'm having some trouble trying to decide how to bring this with me. Let me list the gear I have:

GEAR:
- EX1
- 2 SxS 8GB Cards
- BP-U30 Battery
- BP-U60 Battery
- Audio Technica Shotgun Mic
- Senheisser Lavelier Mics
- Letus Elite w/ Nikon mount
- Three Nikon Lenses (24mm, 50mm, 105mm)
- Red Rock Micro Follow Focus
- Cinevate Proteus Rail System
- Miller Tripod
- Misc. Camera-related Items

CASES:
- Kata CCC-1-A w/ Insertrolley
- Hardigg Storm Case iM2975

When I first bought this gear, I figured, "Oh, I'll just put everything into the Storm Case (which I have faith will protect my gear (no tripod)) and check it in." However, I just feel that even though the Storm Case can do an incredible job in protecting my gear, it won't do squat if security has to crack it open and look for the one thing that looks like a bomb.

I contemplated using the Kata CCC-1-A as a carry-on for all my gear, but I've read they are too big to fit into overhead compartments (even if they can fit into an international plane overhead, I still need to take two smaller "connecting flight" planes).

So I'm left in this conundrum:
Am I being paranoid in thinking that airport security is going to destroy all my gear to find the one thing that sets off the machine? If it is indeed wiser to bring some of my gear with me, what should it be (the most obvious in my opinion are the camera and letus). Do any of you have any tips for bringing all this stuff around?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Air Travel with EX1 and gear. Need help and advice!
on Mar 30, 2009 at 6:20:32 am

Hi Wing-

I've travelled with cameras on planes; security WILL make you take the camera out and turn it on. They may do other things to it as well, like check it for explosive material. You can only have a certain amount of lithium batteries, too. The rest of the stuff I wouldn't worry about (in regard to security).

Happy travels,

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 30, 2009 at 1:19:56 pm

Use the storm case for everything but the batteries and the EX-1 when you are flying. I would carry these items on the plane with me. The EX-1 can fit in a backpack if needed to and yes you will need to take the camera out and run it through security by its self. A smaller 2 stage tripod would be another good idea because it may fit in one of your suitcase with clothes so you can avoid an extra case just for it.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

wing poon
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:42:18 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Michael,

Yeah, I'm planning to shove the tripod in with my clothes. Hopefully they don't think it's a rifle or something. Also, do you think I should take the Letus with me? That and the EX1 are the too biggest things I'm worried about, but I'm more worried that I would ruin the Letus by taking it with me, than just leaving it to be checked with the rest of the gear.

I also forgot to mention that I'm planning to lock the storm case with a TSA-approved lock. Do you think that will deter baggage handlers from trying to open up the case? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 30, 2009 at 11:23:02 pm

"do you think I should take the Letus with me?"

Only if you really know how to use it and it will make the difference in the look you are going for. So many times when I travel I don't really get enough time or man power to setup and if you end up taking it and you don't really use it you will just spend needless time worrying about it. I like these DoF adapters and they are getting better all the time. If you leave the Letus behind you may want a monopod, i find the EX-1 on a monopod is great for run and gun handheld work.

As far as the locks go , it can't hurt to have them. Just make sure you have the camera, batteries, storage hard drive, and the SxS cards with you at all times so you come home with something.

Have a great trip.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:16:50 pm

I always carry the "must haves" with me and pack the rest. Take a light weight monopod with you. Some airlines (Southwest) will give you extra space and consideration if you are with the media. Make some really good looking credentials and laminate them. Check http://www.spyheadquarters.com if you need something official looking. Do not make credentials for CNN unless you look old, worn out and pissed off that you have to still travel.

We have a soft case for on the plane and hard case for check in. One battery in each. On the check in bag, make sure it's the things that you could do without. Always use a TSA lock, if they can't find their key, they'll skip looking at your stuff. They are not allowed to cut the locks off. (As if they care about the rules)

We usually label the suspicious looking things in our bags. When Lithiun batteries first came out, one of the companies put then in really cool looking clear cases. Great until we had to go to the airport and the case with the soldered together battery cells was looked at by security (before TSA) and the guy threw it in a wastebasket and yelled "BOMB". We did not make that flight.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Cano Rojas
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:51:24 pm

I did travel to thailand stopping in Japan for a few hours. had some issues with my tripod that was carry on my hand. Also had a backpack with my camera on hand and had no problems with it. Just make sure you dont bring anything too large in your hand. I believe it was a meter tall max or so.

CaNo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]