FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jam synching 2 PMW-EX3s

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Christie
Jam synching 2 PMW-EX3s
on Mar 26, 2009 at 11:14:51 pm

Hi Folks

We're looking at using 2 EX3s on an upcoming series. I'm assuming that you can jam code from one camera to the other once or twice a day to keep both cameras running accurately. Does anyone do this on a regular basis?

Cheers

John Christie

Return to posts index

Colin Threinen
Re: Jam synching 2 PMW-EX3s
on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:42:14 am

You should try to jam at least once an hour or more. These cameras like to drift alot! Or, get some wireless transmitters for TC. definitely nice to have the capability though!

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 28, 2009 at 12:11:56 pm

"wireless transmitters for timecode"?

Can you elaborate please? Are we talking simple G2 wireless or a specific timecode wireless system?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 27, 2009 at 4:29:27 am

You can get a Denecke sync box to do the job. It's a crystal sync and the timing will be much better. For complete sync, keep them cabled. this can be a really light weight cable. If a cable is impossible.., as suggested earlier, use a cheap Azden wireless mic to do the job. This really does work.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Mar 27, 2009 at 5:27:46 pm

Thanks guys

After reading your posts and doing a little Googling, I'll probably go with to Denecke SB-3 syncboxes. Anything else to consider TC-wise when using EX3s?

Cheers

John Christie

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 27, 2009 at 4:32:08 am

Hi John-

Everytime you change batteries or turn the camera(s) off, you will need to re-jam. PLEASE READ THE MANUAL (pg. 134 and 135). It's more than just plugging in two BNC's and putting the TC's on free-run. The cameras have to be set up the same.

If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting with two or more cameras, you really should get something called a "Lockit" box made by Ambient (one for each camera). These boxes boast less than one frame of drift per-day. Mount them on the cameras and keep them plugged in. Of course, you should still re-jam every few hours or so, anyway...just to be safe.

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 29, 2009 at 12:25:04 am

I agree 100% with Mr. Jones. If you're not taking care to maintain sync, you might as well just run "wild".

Off by a frame means you can't use "timecode sync" and you'll be syncing every clip by hand. Not too terrible with just two cameras, but try that with 12 cameras, and the cost of renting the lockit boxes or
establishing a hard wire is well worth it.

I've been dealing with "jam sync" footage for years, and I can tell you IT NEVER WORKS! Unless you hate your post team, don't delude yourself into thinking that jam sync will result is frame accurate sync.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]